First Chuckie

RDOwens

TVWBB Super Fan
One of the things I love about this place is the number of different things folks cook. It provides me with inspiration. As someone who likes to change things up frequently, it's good to know there's always something else out there.

A while ago it seemed like there was a lot of folks doing chuck roasts. It caught my attention. Last week or so I picked up a small roast (4.12 lbs.) that went into the freezer. With Thanksgiving, there just were too many other cooks going on and not enough time. Today was the day.

I didn't really have much of a plan. I read somewhere around here that any brisket rub would do well for a chuckie. I looked up Chris' rub for brisket and made that.

I rubbed the roast and put it in the WSM with some nice alder chunks.

Everything I read said to expect a long cook. That is one of the reasons this cook didn't happen until today. Three hours per pound would have this at a 12-hour cook. I was skeptical.

The meat went in just about 10 this morning. I watched the internal temps rise rather quickly. Smoker was just under 300 for most of the cook. It was unseasonably warm and as I was enjoying (not really, but I liked the outcome) the Redskins-Eagles game I did not adjust the smoker. It took 4.5 hours to get to 165. I foiled at that point.

Then we went to cut down our Christmas tree (actually, it's the 10th tree. My wife is obsessed). Yeah, I wasn't in the mood to cut the tree. After sweating for a few minutes, we asked the lady if I could use the chainsaw I had in the Jeep. Why sweat when you have power tools?

Anyhow, back home I watched the end of the game (sorry, Larry), and prepped the turkey. Yup a 20-lber is on now. At 5 I pulled the roast off and let it sit in the cooler for an hour.

I pulled this at 6 and made sandwiches. My wife is always skeptical of new cooks. She announced as she finished her sandwich that she may like this even more than pulled pork.
icon_smile.gif
It's always nice to please the audience.

I understand where folks comment about greasiness of this. I had no problem with it and my wife loved the fatty parts. I really like not having to vacuum all the leftovers as I do with pulled pork. This smaller roast really fits in nicely.

I wasn't wild about the rub. Nothing wrong, but I would have liked some heat. Next time I'll mix a little cayenne into it.

It's nice to add to the options. We liked this and I imagine chuck roasts will show up again on our plates. Thanks for all the sharing that brought this to us.

4143369631_cb4ece7e49.jpg

4143369287_056daf7783.jpg

4143369753_9a0e2610fd.jpg

4144769888_f10810f905.jpg

4144712197_79d7b40075.jpg

4144712901_16d9982c0d.jpg

RD looks like some good eats you got there.

LOL on the Christmas tree story, I have never been to a place where I could use a chain saw.

The small chuck cuts are nice when you don't need much, but as some have mentioned, you can get a bad one every now and then if it's cut funny. I really like doing half chuck rolls...about 12-15 pounds. They vac seal and save very well. I've had some pulled pork that I thought lost something with vac sealing, but the pulled beef from the vac seal seems like it just left the smoker.

Oh Man does that look good! Chucks are one of my favorite cooks...makes about the best tasting tacos I ever had....WRB works very well as a chuck rub in part due to the heat as you suggest.

I bought a chuck roast on sale at the grocery store (only a 3 punder) and stuck it in the freezer. Im planning on cooking it this weekend, can I cook it from frozen? or do I need to thaw it first?

Back