First brisket?

Kevin C

This weekend I will be smoking my first brisket and have a few questions. Company will be coming over in the afternoon with my plans to serve the brisket around 5 p.m Saturday. I have a 13lb brisket and was planning about 1 1/2 per pound. Hoping to keep the temp around 250. Have been having trouble keeping the team low on my WSM so I bought a ceramic plate to put in the water pan hoping this helps. I was thinking of starting around 10 p.m. Friday night hoping that it would be done between 2-4. I don't want the guests waiting to late but don't want it done so early that it won't hold for the guests. Am I thinking on the right track here? Thanks for the help

I think you have a good plan. You'll probably get done sooner. Be ready to rest in a cooler if you need to. If you find you are running late you might consider foiling. If you don't add liquid the texture won't suffer much if you're an anti wrap guy.
When I do overnight cooks I usually get it going by 9 or 10. Sometimes I get crazy stalls. I usually wind up serving at 2. Good luck!

I recently did a thirteen lb. brisket at around 250 and it took 13.5 hours... i know, i know they are definetly not all going to cook the same but its a good refrence. That being said im guessing it will be done between 11 and 1. When I think im going to have to hold something for 4-5 hours I will get a cooler and put some hot water in it to heat it up then dump it out just before your brisket goes in wrapped tightly in foil and a towel (probably shouldnt use one of wifeys "nice" towels). The brisket will hold quite a while like this.

Thanks for the help guys. It came out great. I did have something I wasn't planning on happen. Once it reached 195 degrees i probe checked the brisket and it wasn't quite ready yet. After about another 45 minutes or so the temp had dropped to 190. I didn't expect that at all. I probe checked it again and it was ready so I pulled it. Overall cook time around 17 hours, but the drop in temp at the end through me for a loop.

Back