first brisket, high heat

John Boehm

TVWBB Fan
I bought a piece of a brisket that was cut into 3-4lb chunks from the flat. Since this was my first attempt at brisket I figured I would try a smaller/less expensive piece. I followed Chris' high-heat recipe from the forum exactly. I smoked it at 325 for 2.5 hr (it stalled for awhile at 150*) until internal temp of 170*. I then double foiled it and put it in a 325 oven for another 2-3 hours until probe tender. So, it tasted pretty good, and was pretty tender, but it was too dry. How can I fix this? Can anyone confirm the high heat method works? Could the small size of the brisky affect the end product? I want to be able to cook badass brisket. Help!

John,

When slicing, did the outer edges crumble ?
If yes, then it's over cooked.

With a single slice in hand, can you easily pull it apart with some resistance ?
If it falls apart, it's over cooked.
If it does have some resistance, does not crumble AND breaks apart cleanly, it's cooked just right.

If it did not crumble AND it does not pull apart easily, it's probably undercooked.

Brisket can be tricky to cook just right. It only takes a few minutes to go from just right to over cooked.
This is why it is so important to stop the cooking process as soon as the brisket tests good for tenderness.

Bob

Last edited:
How can I fix this? ... Help!

What Bob says is all true. IMHO to fix this: SLOW down.

There are a LOT of theories on brisket. This is mine: Brisket is too lean to go High Heat. I know some say to go for it but I prefer a LOW and SLOW cook for such a lean piece of meat.

A few years back, I attended a BBQ school put on by Konrad Haskins. All of his methods are basically Hot N Fast. After a few hours, he would put the brisket in a disposable pan and add some liquid (Coke, Cherry Coke, Dr. Pepper) and seal with foil. This kept the moisture in the brisket. The method works very well IMHO. Just an idea.

John, I don't do flats. but try the HH on a packer (Like the recipe) and see what you think.:wsm:

Tim

Back