First Brisket, first over-night cook

Jonas-Switzerland

TVWBB Member
Here we are. My weird swiss beef brisket gets a smoke.

My first overnight cook.

IMG-20240823-WA0005.jpg

Also the first time my WSM actually has water in the waterpan :D

After an hour:
IMG-20240823-WA0007.jpg

Nothing left to do today. Hope I hear the thermometer when something's wrong. And of course, a prayer to my Low'n Slow Spirit Animal:

IMG_20240823_210010.jpg

See you on the other side. Good night

Alrighty

Have a few minutes to write. It was an awesome experience and a ton of lessons learned.

My swiss beef brisket was an 'almost but not quite' cut. Some stuff got lost in translation. I did not know what to expect. It could cook fast, it could cook slow. I chose to cook overnight at 225. This gave me an extra 12 hours or so to adjust to whatever the brisket would throw at me, and should not overcook it by 6 o'clock in the morning.

First overnight cook, first time water in the waterpan. First time cooking with a full charcoal ring. IMG_20240823_194440.jpg

Since I was aiming for 225 for the overnight period, I lid up 10-14 briketts. Only 5 were actually ashed over. Used the minion method, assbled the WSM, and filled the water pan. 1l boiling, and another 7l tap water. Damn, it holds a lot.

Here was my first lesson learned: Heating up that much mass to 200F, with all vents open, lead to a bunch more charcoals burning than you'd need. Over the next two hours the temps kept rising steadily to 250+.

It was almost 22:30h when I understood the problem. Almost 23:30 when I had the WSM stable at 230-ish. I had the fire clamped down to get low. There was no way it could keep that temp the whole night.

Lesson 2: I don't need the perfect temperature. All I needed was it to not overcook before I wake up. So I left it.

I wanted to sleep till 6, but woke up at 5. The WSM slowly fell to ~190. Brisket was in the stall. It did exactly what I needed it to do.

From that point on I finally relaxed. 'Chill more' would be lesson three.

But my brisket still had a curveball left. Point was tender. Flat was tender, but had a layer of connective tissue through it. I cooked it for an extra hour, but it did not get any more tender.

I pulled it at 205-206
IMG_20240824_095410.jpg

You see part of the "extra" layer on top of the flat immediately fell off. I suspected it was not part of the traditional brisket cut, and you see here.

But it tasted great.
I held it for about 6 hours at 140 in butcher paper
IMG-20240825-WA0000.jpg

Flat was dry. But damn brisket is awesome. I gave everybody who asked a piece to try. And everybody was amazed (they too never had brisket before).

I loved it. Neighbors loved it. I may get asked to fill my WSM with Briskets for the whole neighborhood.

Attachments

• IMG_20240818_102232.jpg
    IMG_20240818_102232.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 5
Great first briskets classroom learning tool.
I have done a few and used a different method on several, you must find what works for you. First thing is to select the right peice of meat for your cooking style, how much fat, good grain, etc. Then triming, cutting down the fat cap to a workable layer1/4-3/8 inch.
I do not use a water bowl I use a plant pot water base. 14.5 inch I beleive.
Last your cooking temp low 225-250 or 275ish mine roams around alittle in this area with winds. At around 165-175 as it stalls I wrap in butcher paper or foil which ever I have. At like 197-8 I start probing and finger testing it for tender, when I think it is good I do a lift test by picking up in the center to see the amount of bend at least 1/3 or more of the length.
Then If I need to hold it for 4 or 5 hours o put it in avlow oven 150 to 175 and it will break down the tissue even more. Un wrap slice and call the neighbors

It sounds by the remarks from your freinds and neighbors that your first was a success. Congratulations
Keep them coming back for more.

Great post.
I’m sure it will help a lot of people.

One thing I do to the leftovers is to place the meat in some bone broth when I reheat it and maybe sometimes add some dehydrated mushrooms into that mix.

Back