First Brisket - A few questions

Mike Gray

TVWBB Super Fan
So I have been doing a lot of research and was pretty confident in my first brisket attempt. Instead of going with my plan, I started looking on the site again to see if I missed something and now I might have confused myself.

So I have a 13.5 pound packer that I planned to do low and slow on Sunday into Monday. I figure once I'm finished with the trim I will have about 11.5 to 12 pounds to work with. I am a bit concerned about missing the window of done-ness for a low and slow cook as I didn't plan to foil at all.

Here is my current plan:

Basic rub of salt, pepper, granulated garlic and a few other odds and ends.

I have beef broth that I am debating injecting, but have heard of mixed reviews. Might skip it for this first attempt.

Rub on Sunday afternoon

Put on the smoker at about 1am as it comes to temp straight from the fridge

Cook about 220 - 230 - with water in the pan

Plan to be done sometime early afternoon on Monday

So here are my questions:

Is is smarter to do a HH cook for the first cook and foil when the temp is 160 or so?
If I do low and slow should I plan on about 1hr to 1:15hr per pound?
Is it worth injecting? When should I inject? When I rub or just before it goes on?
Can I put the rub on the night before?
Is it harder to get a moist product doing low and slow without foil?

Appreciate any insight you can give me!

Mike

Mike:

FWIW, I've only done flats - quite a few, actually - but I DO intend to try my hand at a packer, sometime down the road; wrapping at 160-165 will work, I feel, equally well, whether you do HH or low 'n slow. Your rub sounds good, it's used by a number of folks on the competition circuit, so I've seen - used it myself last time I did a flat, & it turned out great!

As long as you don't overcook yer beef - I take mine off @ 195-200, spritz it with an apple juice/cider vinegar mix, & wrap it in double-foil it, wrap it in a towel, & let it rest in a cooler - it should be plenty moist.

I've used a combo of beef broth and Worcestershire injection with great results - never heard or had any negative comments/results.

Time per pound depends on how low or high you plan to have yer fire set at; put the rub on and wrap with plastic wrap 24 hours before, or right before you put 'er on the cooker - my palate can't discern a difference either way...

Hope this helps - good luck!

Regards,

Rooster

I've only done one full packer but from what I've been told injecting is totally up to you, a flat IMO does better injected. Yes you can put the rub on the night before and then if you like add a little more right before you put it on. The moisture is in the knowing when it's done and being dry is usually a sign it's over cooked. When the meat gets to an IT of 185-190 start probing it for tenderness, if the probe point doesn't go in easy let it go for about 20 minutes and try again, the less the resistance the closer to done. When the probe slips in real easy and you'll know when you feel it, remove from the cooker and let it rest until the IT drops to about 175 which means the meat has stopped cooking and is okay to foil to hold or you can slice and serve. One of the biggest mistakes is wrapping it when the temp is high which causes the meat to continue cooking after it's wrapped. When I did mine I cooked it at about 275-290 and wrapped it tightly in foil with a little Worcestershire and water when the IT hit about 175 and started probing at 190, took it off the smoker when the probe slipped in easy, poured off the juice and let it rest for about 20 minutes then re wrapped with foil and towels and into the cooler, The finished product was moist, tender and tasty even though I didn't get much of a ring which was probably due to the shortness of cooking time, it was a 14.75 lb packer before trimming and was being served 10 hours after I started. Hope this helps a little I'm sure there will be more help along later.

Hey there, we're basically neighbors.

If it was me I'd do a HnF cook at 325, no foil, no injection, done in 4 hours or less.

Is is smarter to do a HH cook for the first cook and foil when the temp is 160 or so?
Sure but if you cook high enough you can skip the foil.

If I do low and slow should I plan on about 1hr to 1:15hr per pound?
Probably longer.

Is it worth injecting? When should I inject? When I rub or just before it goes on?
Skip it for now. Do it the night before. You can rub anytime.

Can I put the rub on the night before?
If you want.

Is it harder to get a moist product doing low and slow without foil?
Very much so. LnS is not best for brisket.

Recommend that, if you do use broth, reduce it down by at least half. If used straight, it has a tendency to weaken the overall beef flavor.
If injecting with broth or stock, I'll pick the stock first.
Used to be a stock that was sold already reduced.

Wishing you an Enjoyable cook with Excellent results.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will try HH and foil. Will be sure to post some pictures and results on Monday.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will try HH and foil. Will be sure to post some pictures and results on Monday.

Good plan. I recommend putting on cold if you want a smoke ring , cook till to it's truly tender, rest it long enough so that the IT* falls to about 170, and then wrap and hold hot a couple of hours or so.

When going HH don't foil tightly, you want space for all the juices. Ignore meat temperatures. Cook for 2 hours, mesquite is great for HH brisket, then foil. Cook for another 11/2-13/4 hours foiled and then start probing for tender, depending on what temps your cooking at. Allow it to sit out for 30 minutes before rewrapping and holding warm. Save all that liquid goodness and pour over slices when you slice.

Back