First batch of beef baby back ribs

S Freiesleben

TVWBB Member
Hi all,

I yesterday made my first batch of beef baby back ribs on my WSM 18.5". I think the result was pretty good, but I think they could have taken one more hour in the smoker to get the perfect tenderness.

I used my own rub and had it sitting for approx. 2 hours or so before putting in on the smoker.

Final result on the plate with some homemade slaw

Close up picture(they moist)

Thanks guys, really appreciate it.

Jim:

I had them on for a total of 5 hours, but will give them hours the next time. Have them wrapped part of the process as well.
I normally go low and slow, so I am normally aiming for 225 degrees F in all my cooks.
My rub has, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, brown sugar, fresh ground pepper, coarse kosher salt. It works on most of the meats I have been cooking.

Next time try this... Beef ribs have two membranes so remove the membrane on the back of the ribs,cook @285 bone side down until the second membrane is probe tender. You can see it in your picture on top of the bone or in the middle of the rib.
Probably 6-6.5 hours if the ribs are meaty, start to probe between the bones until you feel no resistance going through the membrane. You will feel nothing and the probe will go right on through the rib out the bottom.

That is a pretty good looking slab of ribs. Ask your butcher for beef chuck or plate ribs and give them a try they have more meat than back ribs. You did an excellent job for your first time.

Back