First Attempt Cooking Frozen Steaks

Jerome D.

TVWBB All-Star
Having seen a few YouTube videos and having seen a few posts on this forum on cooking steaks straight from the freezer, I was curious to try this technique myself. Overall, I was happy with the results, pleasantly surprised at how evenly the meat cooked and how well the steaks retained their natural juices. I do have a few questions for my fellow TVWBB members who have experimented with cooking frozen steaks:

1) With regards to "sear first" vs. "reverse sear", which method do you think yields better results on steaks being cooked straight from the freezer? Most of the YouTube videos I've watched do the searing first, so I'm quite curious to hear of any success stories for reverse sear.

2) Since dry rubs don't adhere well to frozen solid steaks, at what point during the cook do you prefer to season the meat?

Two organic grass-fed ribeyes, still frozen solid.

The frozen steaks were coated with olive oil, seasoned with Oakridge BBQ Carne Crosta, seared with direct heat over the coals, then roasted with indirect heat until an internal temperature of 130°F. Unfortunately, it started pouring rain while I was searing the ribeyes, so some of the rub came off.

Steaks resting after being pulled off the grill.

Cutaway view of the interior. Thanks for stopping by!

If I didn't know better, I'd swear you cooked those sous vide.

By the way, this is a thing of beauty:

image_zpshhch3atn.jpeg

Wow, if the steaks turn out like that, I'm going to have to freeze them every time. Nice work! Almost looks like they were cooked sous vide.

I've never tried it, so can't help out on your questions.

No help from me also, but got to say those steaks look perfect. Whatever you did I wouldn't change a thing.

Would you say they were as good as non-frozen steaks? They look great! They just had an article in cooks illustrated about cooking frozen steaks, will have to give it a try after seeing these!

Daum

Jerome
Your sliced pic is awesome.
I usually cook frozen steaks but I must say mine were much more thick.
Anyhow, imo, you shouldn't sear first because as you wrote dry rub doesn't adere.
I know I know searing while frozen preserve from creating grey ring (alias mouse ring), but contraries are more than pro.
So my method is (before sousvide came in my house):
1) settled kettle with snake method and lit it on very very low about 180-200F. With or without smoke.
2) let it cook until 124F internal temp.
3) wrapp in foil while 1 regular chimney is going lit.
4) pat dry the meat, some EVO and dry rub and go with searing action.
Never failed one cook with this method

Later, when sous vide has arrived, all the kettle action disappeared and every thing became much more relaxed.
Did I say much more relaxed ???
Not really true: MUCH MORE RELAXD !!!

Jerome, whatever the method those steaks look awesome. As far as cooking from frozen, I don't have that in my skill set. But hats off to you for pulling it off!

Jerome, those steaks are spot on, I wouldn't change a thing. We got a couple of steaks yesterday and will be giving this a try. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Back