First 14.5 WSM Smoke

Wil A

TVWBB Fan
While I've read a bunch about "breaking in" a new WSM with fat, fat, fat before a real cook takes place, I just decided to jump in head first and do some wings.

WSM001_zps86320c90.jpg

There's also a thread going on about how the door on the 14.5 has open corners. Mine has them as well...

WSM002_zps7d9de896.jpg

...but it doesn't seem as if any smoke is coming out of there - though it is coming out at the top of said door and around the lid!

WSM003_zps43236271.jpg

Maybe it's just the rookie run luck, but my thermometer in the lid seems pretty spot on

WSM006_zpsb6894cd7.jpg

The finished product, after an hour and three quarters...and they were mighty tasty. I used Habanero Death Dust only.

WSM007_zpsb50db0c4.jpg

I'm trying Pepper Stout Beef tomorrow. I'll try to get some better photos of the cook and the finished product.

Thanks for looking!

Nice cook. When I got my 22.5 WSM I just started cooking on it and let it season that way. Good luck with tomorrow's cook and post the pics.

I have a couple of comments:

HDD is one of the best rubs I've used. It always gets rave reviews from heat seekers!

My 22.5" arrived last night, and I have the same gap issues at the bottom. Since it has larger cylinders for the cooking structure, it's more likely to get warped during shipping. I spent an hour trying to fix an out of round condition. The charcoal bowl was fine, but the lid and center section were warped. I see some smoke coming from where the lid meets the center section so I suggest measuring yours.

The grommet was the hardest part of the assembly.

Anyhoo, great looking cook, and enjoy!

Nice cook. When I got my 22.5 WSM I just started cooking on it and let it season that way. Good luck with tomorrow's cook and post the pics.

While this was my first time smoking with a WSM, I think that the Get-it-and-go" philosophy might be the way to go. At least it worked out that way for me anyway :)

I have a couple of comments:

HDD is one of the best rubs I've used. It always gets rave reviews from heat seekers!

No doubt. Oakridge BBQ makes some of the best rubs for any type of meat known to man.

My 22.5" arrived last night, and I have the same gap issues at the bottom. Since it has larger cylinders for the cooking structure, it's more likely to get warped during shipping. I spent an hour trying to fix an out of round condition. The charcoal bowl was fine, but the lid and center section were warped. I see some smoke coming from where the lid meets the center section so I suggest measuring yours.

The grommet was the hardest part of the assembly.

Anyhoo, great looking cook, and enjoy!

Thanks for the heads up.

The grommet? I seriously felt like a fool trying to put that on the body. :eek:

Lol! I was SO frustrated trying to install it! Stupidly, I thought it would snap in, then I realized I had to split part of it in then slowly rotate then rest to fit. PITA!

Great looking first smoke Will, Though not to sure i'd have mine sitting on top of those slab's with my luck i'd knock it over & the chick leg's would go a flying lol.

Delicious looking first cook Wil! I never seasoned my WSM either. Just started cooking and
let it go from there.

Nice first cook..three thumbs up.

I have to get one of those 14.5 WSM's so i can smoke some fresh caught 2NA feesh.;)

I've been tempted to get a 14.5 on many occasions, and seeing these drool-inducing wings is making it really difficult to resist the urge. Terrific results Wil!

Back