Fire Starters - what are you using?

This thing probably works well, but looks like a medieval torture device! Offered by "Brutal BBQ"???"
Maybe based on some old chastity belt attachment?? 🤣
definitely weird looking, I agree!
and for $30? I'd rather put that towards more chunk.
my antique electric wand starter was $2 at a rummage sale.

Charcoal bags cut into squares, brown paper packing material often found in shipping boxes, it's even perforated. Lit with a propane torch in a Rosle stainless chimney (I got tired of looking at the shabby rusty ones). I have the Weber starter cubes but I just don't find them necessary.
Tim. I've been looking at that chimney. Looks nice. Are you happy with it? Thanks.
I've just started using Super Cedar firestarters. Excellent!

I have both Weber sizes. Use the larger for grilling and the smaller for the E6 and WSM.
Small one we use for days when it is just the wife and I. We can grill a couple of steaks or burgers and not go though a bunch of charcoal on the E6.

Last edited:
I've got both as well. Have had the small one longer, like 5 years as most of the cooks I did were small scale-also worked good flipping it for a few coals onto a snake or slow cook setup. Large one has its uses too! Currently using the Weber cubes, but the white crumbs are a mess! Before that a Firestarters which worked fine too. I had a gas assist but found I didn't need it, replaced it with Performer with folding table. Serves me fine, love the table!

I’ve got mapp gas torches, acetylene torches, I really just like a couple good old fashioned Weber cubes, got a bunch on sale a while ago, When I get my performer I plan to use the gas assist, we shall see.

Back