finally joined the roadside chicken bandwagon yesterday

Chris Smith

TVWBB Fan
I used the WSM instead of the gasser and put the chicken halves on the top rack to mitigate flare-ups. Also left out the water pan entirely, and I used two chunks of apple. I think I had a religious experience with my first bite.

pic taken just before I moved the grate down just over the coals and flipped the chicken to crisp up the skin.

viewimage.php

Looks good! I cooked one yesterday on the grill. The first time I tried this, I made a mess trying to use a silicone brush to baste the chicken. This time I put the liquid in a water bottle with a hole punched in the top and just squirted - much easier and less messy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry D.:
The first time I tried this, I made a mess trying to use a silicone brush to baste the chicken. This time I put the liquid in a water bottle with a hole punched in the top and just squirted - much easier and less messy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use an empty Worcestershire sauce bottle that has a plastic nipple.

4209496712_dc247325b6.jpg

Chris-

Just wondering. Did you turn the chicken at all to crisp it up on the bottom? I kept turning it after about 20-25 mins. The skin got crispy and was awesome, but also stuck and tore. And yes it made a mess out of the grill. I will do it again, just have to tweak the results.

JG

I'm looking forward to cooking up some "UDS-style". I've done it a couple of times on the grill, but some pieces skin were toast by the time I was done.....a little lower temps higher from the coals.

Ron-

The mess was on the grill grates. More than normal. But I got a lot of tearing of the skin from sticking to the grates. The remaining skin was awesome. Dark, crunchy, flavorful. I will try again.

Back