Finally getting a rotisserie

Dave K

TVWBB Pro
After having a performer for about 5-6 years, I finally bought a rotisserie for it. Does anybody have a good recipe for doing chicken on it. I think that is my first choice to try it out.:blueperformer:

I'd get a whole chicken, I'd get some Weber's "Kicken Chicken" and some quality olive oil. Give the bird a light oiling, sprinkle the Kicken Chicken on, spin that bad boy at 300ish degrees. You'll have some insanely good Chicken. Throw some Pecan, or Apple or Cherry in the coals for some smoke flavoring

Would you do it indirect, coal around the outside, or right over the coals?

Last edited:
Would you do it indirect, coal around the outside, or right over the coals? How long should it take at 300* for a med size bird?

Would you do it indirect, coal around the outside, or right over the coals?

Cook your chicken indirect. Put one charcoal basket of coals on each side, then spin the chicken until done. Should take 1 to 1 1/2 hours, depending on outside temp, wind speed, etc.

Agree with Brian's recommendation. If you have the charcoal baskets, you could slide them together in the middle of your BBQ, and do a direct cook for the first 20 minutes, this will get you some nice skin. Separate the baskets to finish the cook indirect. I would start doing a temp check right about the hour mark, because chicken is done when it's done and it's hard to time it.

Chicken is great on the roti, but you'll find out there is a whole bunch of other meats that are also great, turkey breasts, beef rib roast(prime rib), leg of lamb, etc. I walk through the meat section at my local grocery stores and am always thinking how different meats would work with the rotisserie.

Once you get past the chicken (a good economical way to fine tune your rotisserie skills) I'd recommend a small turkey...don't overpower it with smoke, get some aromatics stuffed loosely in the cavity, a simple salt, pepper, butter on the exterior. Done correctly you'll never have a better skin.

The work your way into accessories. Get one of the baskets that will allow you to put a dozen or so chicken legs, thighs, wings spinning between the fire (Google "rotisserie basket"). These work great for poultry, vegetables, fish. Nice for spatchcocked chicken.

I'd like to find a way to construct a vertical rotisserie for the kettle...get some Al Pastor on the fire. I've done it horizontal, worked OK, not great.

Yes, Bob; I agree His posts here grabbed me years ago, although that was way before his blogging career started. He has a nice variety of cooking skills, warm folksy personality, and infuses his posts with family events and how to work in interesting dinners during a busy family schedule. And his growth over the years has been a pleasure to see. He is clearly on his way up.

Rita

You can have a ton of fun with a roti and also pretty forgiving. Self basting and nice even cook. Thanks Rita for sharing that link, lots of good stuff on there, will be taking some time to check it out.

My favorite food on the roti has become a small picnic cut with skin on! Load one Weber charcoal holder with KBB to the side of the grill and let it get to 350 +/-. Then just let it cook. Refresh as needed to keep the heat.

At the end, when you hit the temp you want on the pork, then load more coals to the holder, get the heat high and move the coals either under or very close to the pork. Crisp the skin up until you get some great chicarrones, crackl'n, crispy skin. Be careful because it can burn quickly.

I've started throwing it all onto a big cutting board then and hacking it up with a meat cleaver.

Last edited:
Would you do it indirect, coal around the outside, or right over the coals? How long should it take at 300* for a med size bird?

i have found that doing two chickens over a drip pan with the rotisserie takes less cooking time than doing them the good ol' indirect method; same with a boneless pork loin.
just keep an eye on things and be ready to take them off before you're used to doing......

After having a performer for about 5-6 years, I finally bought a rotisserie for it. Does anybody have a good recipe for doing chicken on it. I think that is my first choice to try it out.:blueperformer:

I've been looking at a rotisserie as well. would you be so kind to tell me which one you bought?

thanks,
chris

I've been looking at a rotisserie as well. would you be so kind to tell me which one you bought?

thanks,
chris

Weber model 2290. I think it is the only one available for the performer. It comes with a riser ring as well.

Used this bad boy the day after I got it. The chicken was done, but the skin I wasnt happy with. I did it direct about 30 mins, then wnet indirect. Doing some more this Sun. Going to try two birds at once. I think I will go direct a little longer to try and get nice crispy skin.

I know you guys dont eat much lamb over in the USA but a leg of lamb rubbed in Butt Rub is always a winner for me in the UK, everyone raves about it

Consider brining the chicken first if it isnt enhanced and also make sure you truss it well and get the forks pushed up tight as far as possible

You are correct, I'm afraid we don't do enough lamb here in the USA.
We did two boneless leg of lamb from Costco last summer, on the roto, very simple, salt, pepper, olive oil, and they were very fragrant and very delicious.
Makes me salivate just remembering how it smelled while roasting.

My brother gave me a rotisserie for my performer just before last Easter! I have had a ton of fun with it! One, two or three chickens, plain, salt and pepper, "Zehnders" chicken seasoning (look up Zehnders and just order some!) lemon stuffed, smoke, no smoke. It's such an easy way to make dinner! Indirect method, I have let them go as long as almost two hours but, about one and a half seems quite nice.
I used the ring to make myself a double layer set up for a load of chicken drumsticks and sausages above, dandy!
I agree Bill, we do not eat enough lamb in the US, my family has enjoyed it since I was a kid, my grandmother used to oven roast it but, I thin she would have fallen in love with grilled product! My wife isn't fond of it but, I am so happy when someone tells me they like lamb and I get them to come for either a leg or a couple of racks! It's been one of my favorite grilled feasts for ages!

Last edited:

Back