Field Trip: Costco Business Center, Hayward CA

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure some of you savvy Costco members already know about the Costco Business Centers. They are a cross between a Costco and a Restaurant Depot and a Staples and a Smart & Final. These stores cater to business owners and especially restaurant owners in a way that normal Costcos do not. Costco runs its business delivery program out of these locations, and as a Costco member, you can shop at the Business Centers, too.

You'll find some interesting things here that you won't find at your neighborhood store. Here are some photos I took, just to give you a sense of what to expect.

--

Looks like a normal Costco on the outside, but there is no food court, no tire center, no pharmacy, no optical department, and no photo department. (Some Business Centers have a food court; Hayward does not.)

IMG_1617_zps803f9053.jpg

As I entered the store, the difference between this and a normal Costco became immediately apparent. Instead of a big selection of TVs and computers, there was a display of $500 panini presses and other restaurant equipment, stainless steel shelving, and more.

I started walking the aisles...believe it or not, the entire left side of this aisle is just disposable food service gloves. Every size and type imaginable. They actually wrapped around to the next aisle!

IMG_1618_zpsaa0393d8.jpg

Aisle after aisle of pizza boxes, paper cups, plastic silverware, to-go boxes, paper bags, trash bags, kitchen knives, cutting boards, mixing bowls, utensils, scales, cash registers, neon open signs, timecard machines, chefs clothing, mops, brooms, cleaning supplies...it just went on and on. Every individual serving size of chip, candy, and snack food. Every soda pop and sports drink imaginable.

When I got to the back of the store, I found the meat department. Yeah, that's what you're interested in, right?

Hamburger, anyone? Each chub weighs about 10 pounds.

IMG_1620_zpse404b6c3.jpg

Pork ribs. Spareribs available whole and St. Louis style. Pork loin ribs, of course. And spare rib brisket bones, two to a package, for $1.79/lb...never seen those sold like that before.

IMG_1619_zpsa819316d.jpg

You want to try chuck roll like I did a few years ago? They've got it.

IMG_1621_zps3ff6a792.jpg

USDA Choice briskets are available whole or flats. The beef ribs didn't look so great.

IMG_1622_zps1cf54b04.jpg

Pork butts available boneless like a regular Costco, or bone-in, too. Nice!

IMG_1623_zpsa092087a.jpg

There's a big walk-in refrigerated room, a lot like Restaurant Depot, where you can buy by-the-case meats. The green labels are all USDA Choice whole briskets. You get a small price break when you buy a case.

IMG_1624_zps073eb821.jpg

Here's a close-up of the details and pricing.

IMG_1626_zps51a59d28.jpg

Case after case of spareribs and pork loins.

IMG_1625_zpsa580db1f.jpg

Continued...

There is a large selection of deli meats. Saw this whole corned beef brisket. Not sure if it was a regular item, or just a St. Patrick's Day hold-over.

IMG_1627_zps7abc252b.jpg

Have you ever wanted to cook a goat? How about a lamb? You can get both at the Costco Business Center! These are New Zealand lambs.

IMG_1628_zps41f3bdb3.jpg

A much larger selection of food service-sized herbs and spices are available...this entire side of the aisle, in fact.

IMG_1630_zps47389c22.jpg

And for the most disturbing item of the day? How about 6lb cans of country sausage gravy. Good lord...grandma must be spinning in her grave right now at the sight of this. I've eaten some really bad biscuits & gravy in restaurants...and now I know why.

IMG_1629_zps6ecfc2fa.jpg

--

Visiting the Costco Business Center was a fun experience. Probably not a place you'll go out of your way to visit often, but if you're into barbecue and you live near one, it looks like a good source for USDA Choice whole briskets and flats, as well as bone-in pork butts. Check out the Costco Business Center if you can!

Thanks for the tour Chris.
More info on the gravy here.
"An old fashioned treat with up-to-the-minute convenience. Rich, hearty taste. Ready to serve: no thawing, no mixing. Full of real sausage and honest country flavor."

Wonder where I can buy some of that "honest country flavor"

Thanks for the thread!

I'll keep an eye out near me. My neighbor works for Costco so I'll ask him as well.

I really didn't know about the Costco Business Centers. I suppose the smaller demographics here don't warrant them. But next time I'm in the Bay Area, I'll definitely stop by and have a look. Thanks Chris!

Thanks Chris I did not know about this and live 30 minutes and a bridge away. As you know, for our area, Smart and Final, Restaurant Depot, Cash N Carry have been the only options for reasonably priced USDA choice packers and this looks a great new option. I am going to check them out as well.

-- Mache

Awesome walk around! Pretty damn cool regular customers have access to those business centers. Looks like an 8 cent per pound savings by buying brisket by the box!

We have one here in San Diego, went there once so far kind of a neat store but talk about buying in BULK. If you thing getting huge quantities in a regular Costco is ridiculous don't go here.

Chris, I was surprised at your meat prices. At my local Safeway here in the sticks, pork should bone in is $1.99/lb and 80/20 hamburger is $2.99/lb. I guess I am going to quit complaining about prices.

It is 30 minutes to our local small Costco but I hate the boneless pork shoulder!

I used to deliver here and the wait times would be over an hour sometimes. So I decided to stroll over to the food court but then quickly realized the difference between the regular Costcos and the Business Centers. I'll have to check it out again after work to see if there's anything I actually "need" since it's not too far from work. It's nice having 2 different types of Costcos within 5 miles from you lol

I visited this Costo a few days ago.

1. The single briskets they had in the case were small with the largest one being 11.5 pounds. They had approximately 15 to choose from.

2. I suggested to the store manager that they start carrying prime and CAB briskets. I told her that if they did, they could get half the serious BBQ folks in the buying their briskets from them.

3. Their prices were a little cheaper than Smart & Final where I usually go but they did not have as good a selection.

-- Mache

Back