Feast of St. Patrick!

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
IMG_0958.jpeg
The pretty loaf of soda bread
IMG_0955.jpeg
The cabbage and some small onions are in the crockpot, big red kettle for potatoes and carrots.
I’m not fond of everything in the broth, I think you lose some of the individual flavor and it all becomes too “muddy”. I know some folks will hate me for that but,I’ve had enough of the “boiled dinner” concept for years and never really liked my potatoes tasting like cabbage! I just don’t.
Guinness cooling, Bushmills “Prohibition edition” ready to be cracked, I’m ready for everything to be heated and served! Yay, good day!
Slaintė!

View attachment 87874
The pretty loaf of soda bread
View attachment 87875
The cabbage and some small onions are in the crockpot, big red kettle for potatoes and carrots.
I’m not fond of everything in the broth, I think you lose some of the individual flavor and it all becomes too “muddy”. I know some folks will hate me for that but,I’ve had enough of the “boiled dinner” concept for years and never really liked my potatoes tasting like cabbage! I just don’t.
Guinness cooling, Bushmills “Prohibition edition” ready to be cracked, I’m ready for everything to be heated and served! Yay, good day!
Slaintė!
I quit boiling the spuds with the CB when Miriam started making colcannon many years ago. Also, instead of the spice packets, I use black peppercorns, crushed garlic cloves and coriander seeds in the boil. Don't know why some people are so hung up on tradition when corned beef and cabbage isn't even an Irish dish, let alone traditional.

I don’t typically use those nasty bags but, I was caught with no coriander! So, I used one, desperate measures and all that. But bay leaves, peppercorn, clove, allspice. Then I was unhappy when I made the trek to the store and there wasn’t even a slot for whole coriander! Bought me mint julep booze for “Derby day” and left in a huff! I already have the Bushmills and Guinness for tonight. I have wanted to make colcannon for a long time, if there is enough leftover that might be lunch one day next week!
Erin go braugh!

PSA…
Should anyone see the “Tipperary” cocktail on a media feed from the Robb Report.
PLEASE, PLEASE, save your green Chartreuse for something else!
I took one for the team. Waste of the good stuff!
1.75- Irish whiskey
1- sweet vermouth
.75 Chartreuse
Mixing glass, stir over small ice (la dee dah) strain into a coupe with an orange twist.
I tried it, none of the ingredients shine, they are an over complicated melange of higher aromatics with nothing to connect any of them but the ice. Save all the good components and enjoy them differently. The Chartreuse on its own, the Irish whiskey equally on its own, the vermouth… in a perfect Manhattan!

It reminds me of serving prime ribeye with steak sauce from a bottle.
Neither shines.

Simmered baby potatoes and carrots were perfectly tender! Everything turned out well! This went so well, I’m slightly afraid the next one, it could be a complete flop! I don’t know what I’ll do next week but, Easter is going to be fun too! Dbl smoked ham, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes of some sort maybe “melted”? I’ll let you know.
Thanks everyone,

Last edited:

Back