Favorite way to cook bone in skin on thighs?

I have been cooking mine @ 225f for 20-30mins for smoke flavor, then crank it up to 425f to crisp up the skin. All cooked on the top rack. Looking to see if there is a quicker/better way to cook them. I would like to skip the initial smoke and just run it high as all the drippings create a ton of smoke as is

I like both, the Vortex and indirect methods.
Now, I need to go out and do some cleaning of the kettles!
I cleaned and re oiled the table so, then the summer handles will go on and be ready for making dinner!

On the Smokefire I cook chicken on the top rack at 400 and the skin picks up some smoke. Why not try it at 450 all the way and see how you like it?

I've had my Camp Chef now for about a year and a half and have never cooked chicken on it.
Indirect on the performer or with the vortex is my preferred way. Guess I'll try the CC when they ban the use of charcoal soon.

Indirect on the kettle, using the Weber charcoal baskets on either side with the thighs in the middle of the rack. All vents wide open*, and toss a handful of maple twigs (gathered from the back yard) on the coals for a bit of smokey flavor. Turn them every 10 minutes until done. Lately we have been basting them with Buffalo wing sauce for the last 10-15 minutes.

*I have no idea what temperature this creates.

Indirect on the kettle, using the Weber charcoal baskets on either side with the thighs in the middle of the rack. All vents wide open*, and toss a handful of maple twigs (gathered from the back yard) on the coals for a bit of smokey flavor. Turn them every 10 minutes until done. Lately we have been basting them with Buffalo wing sauce for the last 10-15 minutes.

*I have no idea what temperature this creates.
I like it, before I got the Vortex, I used the basic indirect (center “heat free”) method and turned as well, never every ten minutes though (if you’re lookin’ you’re not cookin’), with the Vortex, put them on, let it ride. I’m not a big sauce guy anymore, health reasons. I likes ‘em sweet, my body does NOT!
Crap in a hat!
I know, someone will send recipes but, I’ve learned to embrace non sweet flavors, maybe it’s age as well as “sugar” concerns but, dipping sauces also make for fewer napkins or paper towels, I hate that wasteful stuff. Maybe a need to install a “finger bowl trough” on the new deck railing...running water and flour sack toweling? That’s weird, but, hey.

Back