Favorite Pellet flavor?

Not brand, but flavor of pellets?

Whenever I used wood chips/chunks I could always smell a difference, but not really taste much of a difference in the end. Unless it was mesquite, which I don't particularly like, they all tasted very similar. I would assume pellets are similar.

I think I'm in the minority but I don't especially like the Weber Grillmaster blend taste. Sorry Bruno. :( I do like B&B Championship blend and Pit Boss competition blend. I like pure apple pellets. Taste is so subjective and it's definitely a "different strokes for different folks" thing. We all end up trying different pellets. I am compelled to add that 29 years of eating really good Navy chow did not give me a sophisticated palate. :D

Since many pellets on the market are 70-80% oak or alder, my experience has been that I really cannot tell any taste difference outside of Mesquite. I often run 100% hickory for everything since pellet grills are definitely a milder smoke profile to begin with and I don't end up thinking where's the smoke flavor with them. The only thing I've really noticed for a difference is cherry or blends with cherry in them add some nice color to the food.

This question got me thinking more about how I got to be a fan of CookinPellets - the purpose of sharing is more about flavors that brands, I'm not trying to push the brand, they're great, but you all do you and buy what makes you happy. I started using them when Traeger was the only brand you could generally buy in a store and the only other things I ever saw available here locally were if you hunted down a dealer with Lumberjack or Green Mountain Grills.

Anyway, I was a member of a forum that was dedicated to pellet grills and did a lot of pellet grill and industry reviews called Pelletheads.com. Unfortunately, they disappeared a few years ago when the owner passed away. A group on the forum that judged/competed in BBQ contests together (using pellet grills) did a blind pellet species taste.

They rounded up 4 pellet grills and one gasser and one of them cooked a few foods: Ribs, Chicken, Burgers, and fish with 4 different pellet flavors: 100% hickory, maple, cherry and walnut. Then the 9 others in the group did a blind tasting. 6 of the 9 were certified KCBS judges and one of the judges was a pretty famous name.

Hickory was the only thing correctly identified repeatedly and that was only buy a couple testers on each food. Cherry was identified on 1-2 foods by a tester or two, but the color might have given it away. Even the 'control' gas grill got a couple votes for various smoke flavors.

I've followed a small group of them to another forum that one of them started after pelletheads disappeared, and most of them run the mindset of buying whatever is cheapest to run in their pellet grills. A couple of them use CookinPellets for the same reasons I do, less dust in bags than many others, less ash in pit because they don't use bark in their pellets, and a little stronger flavor than a primarily oak brand.

I ran Weber pellets in the SmokeFire to avoid issues as it seemed to run better on them, especially in mid temps (300-400), but I think the poor experiences I saw were the firmware updates not the pellets. When I tried to switch over to CookinPellets as it was September or October after I had used up all my Weber pellets. I ran into problems than switched back to Weber to eliminate that variable, but still had issues. However, the few cooks I did with the CookinPellets, I didn't pick up a flavor difference between the GrillMaster blend and the CookinPellets Perfect Mix. The only species difference between the two would be that CookinPellets adds apple, they both have hickory, maple, and cherry.

The SmokeFire was the first pellet grill I ever made anything too smoky for for my own tastes and this was at high temps with things like a pizza. So, that's why I ran the blends on the SmokeFire versus 100% Hickory, so maybe more people will be able to pick up species differences with the SmokeFire than other pellet grills.

I'm not at all discounting that some people can definitely tell the difference, I'm just sharing the experience that from what I've seen it seems like the majority of us cannot identify different species by smoke flavor outside of mesquite, especially in pellets.

(EDITS: I found a summary of the test and cleaned up some details and I did not remember accurately and formatting for readability. It sounded like these 'judges' thought they could all identify smoke tastes before the test was done and were surprised at their own poor results. I also added the note about my perception of the SmokeFire having more smoke)

Last edited:
This is a new extension of "what makes the world go around!" I personally DO like some of the blends and, yes, especially Weber GrillMaster. A bbq I did with that was one of the few times my wife complimented the smell of the food. She is not a real smoke fan but did like that. I also like CookinPellets.com's Perfect Mix.

I have so many more pellets to try this summer, but I also agree very much with Lew about pure Apple pellets (recommend Lumberjack which does offer a true 100% version). My favorite for pork shoulder. I have not tried straight hickory or mesquite but want to give them a chance.

It's all fun how different pellets strike different people. I have also tried making my own blend using Lumberjack Char Hickory and Lumberjack Cherry as recommend by fellow member Dave in KC. Finally, I have also blended in Smoke Daddy charcoal flavored pellets with some others to up the "grill" flavor. I don't know that it makes a really big difference. I haven't had the nerve to try straight charcoal flavored pellets. I understand they burn hotter, so that might be a good trick for higher heat grilling on a pellet grill.

Lol
I think I'm in the minority but I don't especially like the Weber Grillmaster blend taste. Sorry Bruno. :( I do like B&B Championship blend and Pit Boss competition blend. I like pure apple pellets. Taste is so subjective and it's definitely a "different strokes for different folks" thing. We all end up trying different pellets. I am compelled to add that 29 years of eating really good Navy chow did not give me a sophisticated palate. :D
😂🤣Well **** I was typing grill master blend until I read your post!
it’s done well for me but my wife has asked to mix it up, she says everything tastes the same. 🤔🤔

I am primarily a hickory and pecan guy on my Memphis Pro that has a bifurcated pellet dispenser, but occasionally I'll use apple for chicken or cherry for ribs (I love the color from cherry!). I once won a Chicken competition using an orange juice mix marinade, an orange based rub and orange wood pellets from BBQ'ers Delight for the cook. I was looking to stand out, rather than blend in with everyone else, and it worked.

My favorite is the open bag that's on the top of the pile of pellet bags in the shed. I really can't tell that much difference between the type or the brand. For ribs I run cherry and apple mostly for the color cherry gives the meat.
I like pit boss competition blend because the camp chef likes it, burns steady and flows great.
Both Barb and myself like a very mild smoke taste and that said the pellets work fine for us.

Finally, I have also blended in Smoke Daddy charcoal flavored pellets with some others to up the "grill" flavor. I don't know that it makes a really big difference. I haven't had the nerve to try straight charcoal flavored pellets. I understand they burn hotter, so that might be a good trick for higher heat grilling on a pellet grill.

What is the purpose of the "char" in a blend like char-hickory? Does it smoke more? you say the straight charcoal burns hotter, do the charcoal blends also burn hotter? I plan to do a lot of hot/fast cooks on the smokefire (hopefully replacing my performer), so I am curious about this.

For my first smoke I threw in a Weber Hickory/Cherry (50/50) blend on ribs. It sure smells good.

What is the purpose of the "char" in a blend like char-hickory? Does it smoke more? you say the straight charcoal burns hotter, do the charcoal blends also burn hotter? I plan to do a lot of hot/fast cooks on the smokefire (hopefully replacing my performer), so I am curious about this.

For my first smoke I threw in a Weber Hickory/Cherry (50/50) blend on ribs. It sure smells good.
Robert,
The char comes from pellets that include some percentage of charcoal. They are black in color. Some feel that this provides more an old fashioned charcoal grill flavor. I am not sure they make a big difference, but I want to try some more. Here is a link for SmokeDaddy's version of the charcoal pellets:

It is worth noting that Pit Boss also makes these. They are less pricey, especially if you can find them at your local Walmart. I saw one good review of these on YouTube.

A mix of oils?
Guess thats been bone of contention for some time, although the lawsuit to that effect was dismissed. I am going to try PitBoss competition blend some time as some here have reported favorably of them. Found an interesting quote on this-" As Meathead explains in his article on wood, it is pretty darn hard to taste the differences, especially when you consider there are meat flavors, rubs, and sauces in the taste profile, and especially on a pellet smoker where wood flavor tends to be mild anyway." Otherwise , I like my new smoker grill a lot and its been flawless so far!

Last edited:

Back