Expert advice needed

JeffKC

I'm smoking three slabs of spare ribs today in my 22.5 WSM for our son's buddy's bachelor (pre)party. Don't want to screw this up.

I plan to use 3-2-1, but my question is should I use the water pan or not? The WSM is not as familiar to me as the electric pellet smoker I have used for years. And if I don't put water in the pan, should I just remove it? This no water thing is something I've read a lot about lately.

I appreciate any advice, but I will be firing up the smoker in a little over an hour, so I'll need to hear pretty quickly. As of now, I'm using water.

I would use the water pan (with water) just because it will keep the temps more under control. Under pressure cooks are no time to try new things. There’s enough stress without trying to get temps under control when you’re not too familiar with the cooker. Try cooking without water when you are just cooking for yourself.

I would use the water pan (with water) just because it will keep the temps more under control. Under pressure cooks are no time to try new things. There’s enough stress without trying to get temps under control when you’re not too familiar with the cooker. Try cooking without water when you are just cooking for yourself.
Yeah, that is exactly my thinking. Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Agreed. I always thought 2 hrs foiled was a bit much. I run my WSM differently (275 no pan) but nonetheless 3 hrs is when they should be foiled as they will never be too done at that point. Although I am loathe to open lid, I sometimes look at them quickly at 2 1/2 hrs. (I practice Zen BBQ--just get a feeling how it's going without looking) Unless you're running super hot they will not be overdone at 3 hrs. In the beginning I foiled for 45 minutes and now I do 1 hr. and they are close to falling off the bone at that point.

And if I don't put water in the pan, should I just remove it?
If you like that open pit, fat hitting the flames taste.
I rarely use water but I leave the pan in and add a layer of foil over the top.
The empty pan acts as a heat diffuser and the foil helps the drippings from burning.

As a rule, I never REMOVE the water pan in the WSM even if I am cooking with no water. Removing the pan means the heat is direct and harder to control, and that means you might as well be grilling. If you are cooking with no water on the WSM, I recommend covering the pan with foil to prevent grease from dripping directly onto the hot surface -- prevents possible flash fire and avoids unneeded clean up.

Also, if you like spare ribs on the WSM, consider this method and recipe -- works for me! https://blasphemyribs.com/

Back