Excellent steaks...hot 3 burner genesis...8 steaks on FIRE

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
It has been a while since I grilled 8 steaks. I went to the Weber book for a refresh on how to. It said grill on high heat...rotate at 1-2 min for grill marks, flip repeat. Well the well marbled steaks dripped fat at 2 min. and looked good BUT...fat flame ups started. I moved the steaks but 8 strip sirloins on a 3 burner Genesis had no where to hide. I tried turning the grill down to medium. No relief.

Bottom line, I finished them in a 350 oven for 5 min. We had some medium rare to medium well which worked for everybody. I was lucky this worked. This was the first time I put grill marks on steaks. Started a dripping fat fire. Finished in the oven.

Yes the grill was clean. I recently replaced the flavor bars. And I had done a high heat burn off.

What do you do to avoid this ?

Happily, it worked out for you!

A couple of my thoughts (though I've never grilled 8 steaks at once): 1) I'd have the upper rack in place so that I could move some steaks there for a moment or two during the fire or 2) after my preheat with all burners on high I'd consider turning off one of the edge burners before placing the steaks so that I had a safe zone in case of a fire. Since you wanted steaks at varying doneness you could add them incrementally.

Good save!

Honestly I don't worry about "marks" and I never do them on really high heat unless I am trying to cook store bought really thin steaks (under 1.25"). I do them on moderate heat turning them frequently and am sure to well season them just prior to going on. Typically on a gas Genesis I would use a med low med burner config cooking them over the low burner. I always get an excellent crust and I typically will cook to 130 for my desired level of "doneness". So I stop between 125-130 pull and rest. Tented under foil. Giving me a finished temp of 130 to 135.
Now I don't use the gasser at all. In fact my Genesis was sent out to pasture. Frame irreparably rotted away. More work than I cared for since I now have my Q320, my Wolf and 2 very nice pellet grills. See my post from last night's steak cook. No grill marks but absolutely juicy, steak that was very tender. Had a nice crust and edge to edge perfect pink

In retrospect, I should have had the upper rack clean and available. Good call.
Grill marks do not matter when 'everything' is on fire! I'll turn down the heat next time.
I was lucky to have oven space both hot and available.

This is one time, I wish for 4-6 burners.

Keeping the lid down except to turn or take off will keep the fire smothered, never shut the fire off and leave them, air will cause a fire a lot of times, had to scrape 3 Tbones like burnt toast 1 anniversary lol

GrillGrates are great for this. They really cut down the big flare ups. I keep a half set on my Genesis all the time. Once the steaks are on, the left burner gets turned off though in case they need a safe zone and to finish after searing.

This. I went one step further and bought the full GG replacement grills for the E330 back when I first got it 8 years ago.

42925164532_8efb778a28_b.jpg

The fat hits the valleys and flares briefly as it burns off and gives everything more of a real grilled flavor. With the gasser I turn everything to high to do the sear (with sear burner on as well to the left) then on last flip turn off everything with the exception of the far left burner. And move the steaks to the right to continue cooking with heat. Can also turn it down to low along with the middle burner and do a quick cook of something else while the steaks come up to temp. Even in a snow storm.

49112230298_3d59794422_b.jpg

GrillGrates has a 20% off sale right now for Fathers Day.

I have them for Jumbo Joe and 22" kettle as well. With charcoal you don't have the luxury of turning heat on and off as easily as the gasser so need 2 zone cooking. At the cabin I stay in for grouse hunting I use the sides of the GG for the Kettle for searing and then finishing on the other side. The GG protects even Prime grade Ribeye from the direct flames

51569117720_4bdc7ffac3_b.jpg

Couple of years ago tried a pellet pooper when Lowes had the small Pit Boss on clearance for $200 and even used the sides of the Jumbo Joe GG there for the final sear over the fire pot

49448133817_3c2f2f8a5f_b.jpg

But turns out I am not a pellet pooper type guy. Burned the paint off it trying to get real smoke flavor with charcoal and wood. Don't do that LOL. However a lot of people like them, just not for me, the smoke flavor is lacking and not much more than an easy bake oven to my palate. GrillGrates on the other hand add a lot of flavor and value for me and everything I cook on outside. Especially steaks, and I do a lot of steaks.

You shouldn't have a problem cooking 8 strip steaks on a Genesis with GrillGrates. Main reason I am going through rebuilding my Genesis right now is because of the GrillGrates that I have for it. Have turned out a lot of great food on it with "grate" flavor :)

41072930120_53a8fd6f10_b.jpg

8 strip sirloins on a 3 burner Genesis had no where to hide. I tried turning the grill down to medium. No relief.

What do you do to avoid this ?

Setup two zones.

Double stack the steaks for a bit.

Medium is still pretty hot cooking direct.

Preheat, then Med, Med, off. Works for front control or side control 3 burners. Off is your cool zone.

If it's too hot then go to Low, Low, off.

Last edited:
Dang...I must be cheap, $200 for grillgrates for genesis! Looks like a great product but dang.
Not worth it. If all you want to do is make lines brush what you're gonna grill with melted butter. Works exactly the same and costs less. Chef taught me the trick. I don't use it because I don't give a rip about lines

A few years back I purchased some Grill Grate Panels for use on my Weber Performer Deluxe and also a custom set for my Weber Smoky Joe. To date I remain one-happy Grill Grate customer:)

Attachments

• 83A51D9E-F42E-434F-8B81-47332FD451FA.jpeg
    83A51D9E-F42E-434F-8B81-47332FD451FA.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 8
This. I went one step further and bought the full GG replacement grills for the E330 back when I first got it 8 years ago.

The fat hits the valleys and flares briefly as it burns off and gives everything more of a real grilled flavor. With the gasser I turn everything to high to do the sear (with sear burner on as well to the left) then on last flip turn off everything with the exception of the far left burner. And move the steaks to the right to continue cooking with heat. Can also turn it down to low along with the middle burner and do a quick cook of something else while the steaks come up to temp. Even in a snow storm.

I have them for Jumbo Joe and 22" kettle as well. With charcoal you don't have the luxury of turning heat on and off as easily as the gasser so need 2 zone cooking. At the cabin I stay in for grouse hunting I use the sides of the GG for the Kettle for searing and then finishing on the other side. The GG protects even Prime grade Ribeye from the direct flames

Couple of years ago tried a pellet pooper when Lowes had the small Pit Boss on clearance for $200 and even used the sides of the Jumbo Joe GG there for the final sear over the fire pot

But turns out I am not a pellet pooper type guy. Burned the paint off it trying to get real smoke flavor with charcoal and wood. Don't do that LOL. However a lot of people like them, just not for me, the smoke flavor is lacking and not much more than an easy bake oven to my palate. GrillGrates on the other hand add a lot of flavor and value for me and everything I cook on outside. Especially steaks, and I do a lot of steaks.

You shouldn't have a problem cooking 8 strip steaks on a Genesis with GrillGrates. Main reason I am going through rebuilding my Genesis right now is because of the GrillGrates that I have for it. Have turned out a lot of great food on it with "grate" flavor :)

I have been using the grill grates for about 10 years now and love them. No flareups for the most part and the food comes out better in my opinion.

Not worth it. If all you want to do is make lines brush what you're gonna grill with melted butter. Works exactly the same and costs less. Chef taught me the trick. I don't use it because I don't give a rip about lines

No, it will not. It isn't about grill marks although visual has a lot to do with food appeal. It has to do with the flavor they impart by the fats and oils burning off in the valleys right under the meat. Weber flavorizer bars were designed to do that but the grillgrates do it better and more complete by being closer to the food and vaporizing more of it. I've never had to dump my grease pan since replacing factory grates with grillgrates because none of it makes it that far.

They especially shine with a gasser and can make food taste like you actually grilled it, but work well with charcoal as well.

Nice set-up.
I love my GG and have 3 sets.
One half/moon that for the Performer that sits over the SnS, and a set that I replaced the OEM grates with on the Genny Silver B, (on that set up, I have a couple panels turned flat-side up to use as a griddle), and a set that for the 22" kettles.
I have a storage bag that I use for the kettle set, which comes in handy for tailgates. I've even used a couple of those the Q2000. I've also taken them on vacation, when we stayed in a log cabin that provided gas grills.
Like some, I don't care too much about grill marks, (the wife loves 'em), but I like the fact that they cut down on flare-ups and food falling through the grates. On the gasser, I like the fact that they cook much hotter than conventional grates, so I can keep the heat turned down and save propane.

Of note; As I recall, I purchased my new Grill Grates over five(5) years ago for a price much lower than today’s pricing. However, our hobby’s cost as described on this Forum has also increased significantly over the last few years,I.e., grills,charcoal,meat,accessories,etc. Also, it appears that many of us in the USA,Costa Rica and Canada are finding it difficult to buy replacement parts and accessories such as a Rotisserie Ring for a Weber 26” as posted recently by one of our Forum Members on another thread. With that said; I truly enjoy being part of this great group on this Forum.and my BBQ Hobby.

Last edited:

Back