Ever Wonder What Happens if You forget to Turn your Q Off?

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Well, I went to make the grandson a couple burgers today for his lunch. Went out to start the Q320, noticed heat coming off of it. Holy cow, I had set it middle burner low and outer burner med to grill up fajita shells on Tuesday for brisket fajitas. Wasn't sure how many we'd eat, so left it running. Totally forgot about it. Well, the grate was nice and clean :D and it took me less time to cook the burgers. And yes I did turn it off today

Yah, larry, I have done that a few times on my Q. Drained my 20lb LP tank a few times as well. I used to let my Q on after cooking and go out later to clean the grates. I quit doing that because I forgot too many times. Even setting an alarm on my phone failed, as I would forget to set the alarm or turn it off telling myself I would go out and clean the grill in a "second". Two days later, I realize it was a pretty long "second".

Yah, larry, I have done that a few times on my Q. Drained my 20lb LP tank a few times as well. I used to let my Q on after cooking and go out later to clean the grates. I quit doing that because I forgot too many times. Even setting an alarm on my phone failed, as I would forget to set the alarm or turn it off telling myself I would go out and clean the grill in a "second". Two days later, I realize it was a pretty long "second".
I've done it a couple of times on my Genesis under pretty much the same conditions. I intended to go back outside and clean the grill before I turned it off and forgot about it. I changed my habit to turning the grill off after I removed the food and cleaning it on start-up the next time, problem solved.

I used to turn the burners to high after a cook to burn off the residue. More than once I forgot to turn it off and came back to an empty tank and a very clean grate. I do not do that any more.

Yeah, that's happened to me one too many times. I shut the propane off at the grill and off at the tank when I bring the food in and do the burn-off during start up. I don't leave a grill unattended, too much of a fire risk for me.

Yeah, that's happened to me one too many times. I shut the propane off at the grill and off at the tank when I bring the food in and do the burn-off during start up. I don't leave a grill unattended, too much of a fire risk for me.
I don't bother to shut the tank off unless I'm done for the winter but try not to walk away for more than a couple minutes at a time during a cook. I just had a good example of this tonight. I was cooking chicken thighs on the trusty 1000 and I was having a bit of a time dialing in the temperature. It was in the 70's and a little on the windy side. I try to keep the temperature around 375 for thighs and figure just about an hour give or take for a cook time. Well, it was just windy enough that I had to tweak the temperature several times up and down to keep things going. If I would have walked away from that cook it would have either taken 2 hours or I would have burned them to a crisp.

Back