ET-73 defect

Status
Not open for further replies.

John W.

TVWBB Fan
I got my Maverick ET-73 the other day. It seems to work great except for one little thing. The switch on the receiver doesn't seem to work. I turn it to off and it goes blank, but then the display fires up again.

With all the issues I have seen peole have with the ability to transmit and receive I'm hesitant to return one that works in that regard. Maybe I should just pull the batteries when I want it off. Any thoughts?

It always sucks to have to return something, but I'd return it. My switches seem to work fine (just bought one too after they started shipping again). My only issue is witht he range. How far away did you get yours to transmit?

John--I would send it back. It is already a pain to have to open the back of the transmitter everytime.

FWIW--I have two and they both work good. I think it is a handy product for the money.

Tom

Jerry--

Mine seems to not update unless the temp. changes more than a degree or so, so don't let it fool you in to thinking that it isn't working--your WSM might be just that steady. Mine transmits about 50 feet through a sliding glass door with no problem, and has gone that far through a couple of inside walls.

Tom

Gadget source alread has it on the way, and UPS will pick up the return when they come. Can't beat the service.

I posted about Maverick last week, but I'll update here. I had a problem with the receiver getting the signal once the trans. was out of sight (ie. in the the house was no good) so I called them and they sent me a new receiver. So I used the new receiver through walls in the house (as a trial) and it worked fine. Then the overnight cook came and once it was placed outside I had a problem...even 25 feet away in a window it would not update (I was checking the receiver and the transmitter temp to confirm and there were differences for over 15 minutes). I wound up putting the receiver close enough to the transmitter so it would work, and used the baby monitor to hear the alarm (don't worry...the baby is not a baby any more!!!). So I called maverick again and they are sending me a complete thermometer on good faith that I will return the old.

The operations manager explained bow metal reduces the signal strength. They are designing another thermometer that will have a 200' range and a stronger signal, but will use a relay station to carry the signal. I asked why not juat add an antenna like a cheap radio or cell phone ?

BTW: I agree that opening that little door to turn on the transmitter is a PITA, but it must have something to do with the water resistance.

jeff

I actually just picked one up and the one I got had a problem transmitting unless it was sitting 2 feet from the transmitter.

I called them up and they sent me another one and had the other one sent back. Apparently there was a bad batch of them.

Will know this weekend after I do the first pork butt.

Thanks for the info about the return policy for the GadgetSource. I recently purchased an ET-73 and it was one of the defective ones. I ended up calling Maverick and I would have to pay for S&H. Saved a few bucks for more BBQ's!

I had one of the defective thermometers as well and GadgetSource was really awesome about it. They sent me the shipping label and I got a new thermometer that works great. You never know what kind of service you will get on the web, but GadgetSource is a class act.

One thing I discovered about my ET-73 is that the batteries supplied are pretty much worthless. Plan on buying at least 4 new AAA batteries immediately and don't use the ones they provide. There was barely enough voltage to keep the transmitter alive, much less survive a 17hr smoke.

I'm still working out what kind of things block the signal. I may have to give them a call and determine what frequencies they use. My challenge is that I have a lot of wireless electonics in my house. I have an 802.11b wireless computer network (2.4Mhz), a portable phone (5.8Mhz), and a cell phone (900 Khz).

This represents a big chunk of the public frequency spectrum. I haven't even considered the products ability to penetrate stucco or UV coated, dual pane, windows. I may be stepping all over the frequency they use to update the remote receiver.

My success with the ET-73 came by duct taping it to the outside of the window and looking at the temperature through the glass. I'd love to figure out how to wander around inside my house and monitor my Q.

I just don't know how Maverick can do it without licensing a spectrum and charging a whole bunch more cash.

Chet

I got my new replacement from Maverick and used it yesterday....same old story. As soon as I hit the door the receiver stops updating. I made sure there was nothing within 15 feet of the smoker to block the signal too.

I think my solution for an overnighter will be to put the receiver close to the transmitter and use a baby monitor to hear the alarm...not a great solution, but it will work.

jeff

Got my replacement ET-73 in the mail. Had similar problems with going through glass/walls/etc... Was wondering how long a fresh set of Alkaline Batteries will last with the transmitter on? Am a little hesitant to turn the transmitter off as you have to unscrew the back everytime you want to turn it off. I can see the plastic "screw" breaking off eventually.

As Chet indicated, to increase the signal, they might have to do something that would require the cost of the product to go up. I say how much? I can get this to work in the house, but just barely. I don't know if I could trust it on an overnight. It's still a nice tool in that the two cooks I've done with it I didn't have to go outside near as often (which was nice because one day it was raining) but for a reliable, quality 75 feet transmitter, I'd pay double.

It was indicated to me by someone at Maverick that it would be in the $80 price range for the next "improved" model and it would work with a jumper type unit to double the distance. There would be a transmitter sending the signal to the jumper, and then on to the receiver. But if we can buy baby monitors and cordless phones that work flawlessly for such a low price, then why not this transmitter/receiver set up ? How about a pull up antenna ?

Jeff

Jeff asked > "if we can buy baby monitors and cordless phones that work flawlessly for such a low price, then why not this transmitter/receiver set up?"

Well Jeff,

quantity == economies of scale == lower unit price

If Maverick could sell "billions and billions" of these things, the price point could be considerably lower. Until then, we pay for the cost of engineering, parts, manufacture, and profit of lower quantities. We have yet to convince enough people that they need a smoker and that they need this kind of temperature gauge. Baby monitors and cell phones are purchased by a whole bunch more people. Now, if you could convince your friends to convince their friends.....

If this goes much further, it probably should move to "Just Conversation"

chet

True Chet.......BUT THEY WORK !
I was not complaining about the ET-73 price, more compairing that these other lower priced electronics do work in the home.

I bought two from GadgetSource back when they were first released, use them almost every weekend in either the WSM or our trailer rig (or in the oven or just to monitor the outside ambient temperature upon occasion) and I've never had a lick of problem with them. I too found that the batteries that came with them were pretty much worthless, and replaced them right off. Beyond that, mine are still going strong.

Just lucky, I guess.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

First, I appreciate all of the comments I've read concerning the ET-73!
I placed my order this morning with gadgetsource. Is there anything I need to know (or any helpful hints) for initial setup?

Thanks again............

Just got mine, and it seems to transmit OK, but only on the food side. The smoker side just reads the low tem (LLL). Switched the probes just in case, but same thing. Food side @ 83, smoker @ LLL.

Guess I'll be getting with the Gadget Source...

I used mine again this weekend. Cursed at it many times as it lost the signal or didn't update. I had it parked 25 feet away outdoord and was sitting happy in the shade with the temp. on target...I wandered over to the bullet to find the temps spiked a bit and the receiver didn't update. I have 2 complete thermometers and 3 receivers (I purchased 1 and Maverick sent the rest trying to correct the problem). Seems my house wood with vinyl siding) will not always allow the signal to enter, even though a window with the cooker in sight. Maybe I should call a priest for an exorcism on the house and thermometer ! Or if they sell a 100 foot of probe wire and I could walk around dragging this spool of wire. LOL

jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back