ET-73 defect

Status
Not open for further replies.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jeffr hode:
I used mine again this weekend. Cursed at it many times as it lost the signal or didn't update. I had it parked 25 feet away outdoord and was sitting happy in the shade with the temp. on target...I wandered over to the bullet to find the temps spiked a bit and the receiver didn't update. I have 2 complete thermometers and 3 receivers (I purchased 1 and Maverick sent the rest trying to correct the problem). Seems my house wood with vinyl siding) will not always allow the signal to enter, even though a window with the cooker in sight. Maybe I should call a priest for an exorcism on the house and thermometer ! Or if they sell a 100 foot of probe wire and I could walk around dragging this spool of wire. LOL

jeff <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am having the same problem. I ordered the ET-73 from Thegadgetsource and they were very good at sending out a new unit the same day. Unfortunately it was worse than the first one. They are sending out a third one this week. I can't get it to update 25 feet away. If I go to the window and put it right in the window it will update, sometimes. Maverick agreed to send out a new receiver if I want. That will be the next step if the third one still does not work.

Anyone know of any other unit that does the same thing but that really works?
I don't care if is more expensive.

I used my ET-73 for the first time this weekend and had the same problems. It will not receive anything in my house or froma very far distance outside.

I solved the problem by sitting it on a window ledge and sleeping near the open window. It worked and woke me up at 6am with a low smoker temp. IT did it's job and is worth the money even with the problems of tramission distance.

Jim

the plastic screw on mine (the sending unit) just broke today. and it doesn't like to transmit more than 20 feet. but I keep it just inside the patio from the smoker and it works just fine. guess I got lucky so far.

scott

My ET-73 is en route, so I'm pretty interested in this thread. Here's some things to try if battery powered electronics aren't working right: <little shaky on some of this so please forgive and kindly correct.thnx.>

1. ensure a snug fit of batteries in the applicance contacts then set these batteries aside; somtimes the connectors are a little too loose, wreaking havok on the workings of the appliance. You should have to apply a slight amount of force to insert batteries.

2. clean all battery contacts on appliance with rubbing alcohol on a q-tip; sometimes they are dirty or oily from manufacturing and handling

3. replace the batteries with new, fresh, still-in-the-pack premium alkaline batteries.

Why buy the expensive batteries? Mainly to rule out the batteries as a problem. Not all batteries are created equal. Excluding rechargeables, there are alkaline batteries (Duracell, Energizer) and cheaper non-alkaline batteries (carbon-zinc). Name brands even put expiry dates on their batteries now.

Some electronics state only alkaline (or perhaps non-alkaline) can be used. FP Baby Monitor PDF. The ET-73 instructions don't say anything like that so I would assume alkaline. This might be an issue but it's pretty iffy. It could explain why only some people have problems with a mass produced product though.

I think an optional AC adapter for at least the transmitter would be great. Then I would be confident the transmitter is always at full power. Wonder if our Radio Shack friends can hook us up with a waterproof battery pack type AC adapter?

If power isn't the problem, take both pieces over to a football field, test it there. If it still doesn't work try to kick a field goal. Just kidding. Walk around it in circles at increasing distances. If you find a dead zone, see if it's an orientation problem. I think if you can't achieve close to the 100' range on a flat piece of ground with no obstructions and your new batteries, regardless of orientation, it's not living up to Maverick's claims. (The claim is up to 100', not at least 100').

If it worked at the football field, the house and/or interferance may be the causing the problem. Do you or your neighbour operate HAMM radio or other communications equipment? Is your TV or computer monitor between the transmitter and the receiver? I think those are known problems and I'm sure there are other causes as well.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back