Essential Genesis Rehab tool "GO BAG"

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
OK, this thread will be dedicated to discussing the essential tools you would have when rehabbing a Weber Genesis gas grill.
Basically, if you had to outfit a bag with ten tools (battery powered, A/C powered or hand tools) would you make sure were in the bag? You don't have to list ten, but ten is the limit and all tools or sets of tools must fit in a small tool bag about the size of a bowling ball bag. Order of importance is not important. Let's keep chemicals and cleaning supplies out of it. No grill cleaners, simple greens, bleach, penetrating oil, paint, steel wool, rags, etc...
Here is my list. I am looking forward to someone coming up with something that I haven't thought of and would kick myself for forgetting.
Here is my quick Go Bag.
1. cordless Drill Driver
2. drill adapter for sockets
3. adjustable wrench
4. Locking pliers (Vice Grips)
5. Screwdriver with changeable tips
6. hammer
7. Small drill bit set
8. Angle Grinder with cutoff wheel and wire brush.
9. Small socket set with an extra 7/16" socket
10. Razor blade scraper with blades

Bruce,
That setup is pretty hard to beat or even add to. I would want my cut-off tool because so many parts seem to be hopelessly rusted on and defy any removal attempts even when doused with PB Blaster and left to soak in. You mentioned a hammer, and I agree, although I find myself using a rubber mallet in a lot of applications. I guess if you could only have one I would try to using a pad where I thought a steel hammer would cause damage. I didn't mention it, but those "water pump" pliers have a locking button. I think I would want that over regular vice grips, but I am not sure.

I have to disassemble my recovers to get them in the trunk of my car (a Toyota Camry), so my needs are a little different. I include:

7/16" combination wrench (open end/box end) for those bolts under the crossmembers that I can't get a nutdriver/driver on
Channellock (or waterpump) pliers
Needlenose Pliers
Cotter pin puller (looks sort of like a pointed corkscrew with a screwdriver handle - see picture)
Small diagonal cutters (some early grills used cotter pins on the lid hinge)
Rubber mallet

Trash bags (haven't picked up a clean grill yet)
1-Gallon zip lock bags (for small parts, knobs, screws)
Mechanics gloves
Paper towels or rags

Attachments

• Cotter Puller.jpg
    Cotter Puller.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Oh, I always bring neoprene gloves on any pickup. I am usually just trying to remove the hood in order to fit into my van and get by with only a few tools. (Ed, that “hook” tool to remove cotter pins looks like one I would like to add!) Then it it is time to remove internals. A cardboard box to put them in and the gloves to handle all the greasy, dirty parts.

Oh, I always bring neoprene gloves on any pickup. I am usually just trying to remove the hood in order to fit into my van and get by with only a few tools. (Ed, that “hook” tool to remove cotter pins looks like one I would like to add!) Then it it is time to remove internals. A cardboard box to put them in and the gloves to handle all the greasy, dirty parts.
It's a Craftsman P 4319 and it came with a screwdriver set I bought in the early '70s. It rolled around in the bottom of my tool box for a quite a while before I figured out what it was for!

I would consider a "go bag" something to have in the car in the likely event you'll come across a roadside find, not something that would be used to rehab the grill on the spot.
For that reason I'd add $100 in $5s and $10s, I've had times where I've picked up $200 valued Webers for less than $50.
So, breakdown tools, rags, a tarp and some cash.

I meant this thread mostly for rehabbing tools, but the curb find pickup list is fun too. And coincidentally, I have a Pickup Go bag in my truck just for the event of driving past a curb alert.

Thick garbage bags. Useful for a find on the road to put the cover and other parts in or just use the bags to put rusted, greasy, dirty parts in it.

I have the tool bag and money and 3 or 4 harbor freight moving blankets to keep my cargo area clean and dent/scratch free.
What type of angle grinder do you use air power or electric?

Electric angle grinder. I have both a Dewalt and a couple HF ones. The HF ones do just fine and at $10, it is hard to ignore the value. Surprisingly, the Dewalt is not a whole lot more powerful than the HF ones.

For people outside the US and limited access to non metric tools: An 11mm wrench is a perfect replacement for the 7/16" wrench used here in the US.

I wish the US would just give up on the standard system and go Metric. I used to buck it thinking it would be nice if they just waited until after I leave this earth, but I am getting tired of needing two sets of wrenches and sockets and instruments. It is getting so that were are really starting to phase out standard measurements, but no far along enough to not have to keep a full set of standard tools on hand all the time.

Sorry but I have to disagree with your original premise of "No grill cleaners, simple greens, bleach, penetrating oil, paint, steel wool, rags, etc..." 99% of my rehab work is just cleaning. I use a socket or vice grips to remove the burners but that is about it for mechanical work. My #1 tool is my 6 in 1 Scraper. Without that I can not even start a rehab.

I just didn't want this to turn into a debate on all the variations of grill cleaning solutions, regular cleaning solutions and so forth. But, yah, a guy needs a scraper.

Yah, it seems to me this Pulse is to a Q2400 what a Summit is to Genesis. I just hope the quality and durability match the price.

Oh and another tool comes to mind: A pair of small diagonal cutters. If you want or need to take the wheels off, you need the get these hub cabs off the axle which have these embedded metal spring washers. For me the easiest was just to cut the metal washers with diagonal cutters.

Pry-bar not too big.
Pump pliers
Painter's 15 in 1 tool
Wire brush or grill brush

I keep a stick lighter, long-stemmed control knobs and a regulator hose.

I'm with Joe. All my time is cleaning. For potential rebuild candidates I test and clean before any mechanical disassembly for evaluation purposes. I want to know if the valves work, gas flows, does the control panel have fade, is the lid a grade A,B or C, is the firebox a Grade A, B or C, identify rust or rot on the frame, etc.

penetrating oil for sure and some times when hood pins are hard to get out a punch to push them through

Back