Ernest Hemingway's Hamburger recipe

This is the burger that I posted a larger picture of. I came across this recipe yesterday and was going to post it, I checked and saw that I had already posted this burger recipe back in Jan. So, I was just having some fun with it. Thanks for playing along.

Sounds more like meatloaf.

Ingredients​

• 1 lb. lean ground beef
  • 2 oz. sliced ham, minced
  • 1⁄3 cup dry red or white wine
  • 1⁄4 cup grated cheddar
  • 2 tbsp. capers, drained
  • 2 tbsp. grated tart apple
  • 1 tbsp. minced parsley
  • 1 tbsp. soy sauce
  • 1 1⁄2 tsp. ground sage
  • 1 1⁄2 tsp. India relish
  • 1⁄2 tsp. Beau Monde seasoning
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced garlic, minced
  • 2 small scallions, minced
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 plum tomato, cored, peeled, and grated
  • 1⁄2 small carrot, grated
  • 1⁄2 small yellow onion, grated
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 tbsp. canola oil
  • Hamburger buns, lettuce, sliced tomato and onion, ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise, for serving

Instructions​

1. Mix ingredients, except for oil, buns, and condiments, in a bowl; form into four 6-oz. patties. Heat oil in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat. Cook patties, flipping once, until cooked to desired doneness, 8–10 minutes for medium rare. Serve on buns with lettuce, tomato, onion, ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise.

When I was a teenager, I worked in a sandwich shop a lot like Subway today. One of us would start with the bun meat and cheese then pass it down to the guy doing the produce. If the customer wanted all the produce on his sandwich, we would just say drag it thru the garden to let him know that the customer wanted everything on it.

Working on my fruit binders (apple) and came across this. We have not made it yet, just wondering if anyone else has.

Back