Enclosing a Genesis Silver B

Jeremy Petersen

I am looking to enclose the bottom cart portion of my old 2004 Genesis Silver B. I am the original owner of this grill and it has served me very well. The issue is I now have two Australian Shepherd dogs that are incredibly smart, and they have found that they LOVE the drippings that collect in the grease tray (and collector) at the bottom. They lick them clean every chance they get. If I just remove the grease drip tray itself, then they get their tongues up into the collector pan above it and up as far as they can stretch to lick that clean. They are so persistent about it that they have bent down the aluminum rails that hold the collector up so that it is hanging down off the bottom of the box, several times now. These rails are easy enough to bend back into shape of course, but that just illustrates their determination. This is obviously not a healthy thing for them to be doing, nor is it good for the grill. So, I have had to take to keeping them in their kennel any time the grill is in use, and then promptly removing the entire collector and grease drip pan assembly entirely afterward, and setting it atop the machine where they won't get to it before I let them out again. This is very unsightly and inconvenient, obviously.

What I would like to do is enclose the bottom of the machine somehow, and it doesn't need to be pretty. I considered just using some quarter inch sheet wood, since it would be easiest to work with, and screwing it right the the frame. Maybe cutting keyholes into the front piece so it can be easily removed for cleaning. But I was wondering if this would be a fire hazard, being wood. The other obvious option is some sheet metal (steel or aluminum) but this would be a little harder to source and cut to size. It would be nice to retrofit a pair of doors to the front, but this seems like it might be prohibitively complicated or expensive to do. Really I just want some solution that will prevent me from having to go out and buy one of the newer models that comes with an enclosed bottom already. Does anyone have any ideas or advice that may help with this?

Jeremy, there are a ton of old silver B grills with enclosed cabinets that people are selling really cheap or putting on the curb for free. I would look for one of those. Most of your grill parts should swap right over or you can just clean and fix that one up and use it. The problem is the bottoms are often rusted out bad, but that can be remedied pretty easily if you are not picky.

Change to grilling veggies? Just kidding. You can always use plywood and frabricate something. But it needs to be easy removable to clean the pan.
But I would actually recommend finding a closed cabinet version of the Silver B. Used ones can be found sometimes for as low as you would pay for all the materials you need to enclose your grill.

I went ahead and picked it up. Since it came with a cover that was in tact I offered $40, which was gladly accepted. Here is a quick picture of the two side by side, along with the two culprits that started all of this. :)

Ignore the dirty lid on mine - it should clean up nicely and is actually in better shape than the donor. The lid on the donor grill is in rough shape, and there are little bits of rust here and there on the frame and control panel. The grates on the donor are complete garbage - shows the difference between how well they'll hold up when cleaned after _every_ use (mine) and rarely cleaned at all. The metal parts on mine and many of the plastic parts on the donor should combine to make a nice Frankengrill - we'll call it Frank for short. Looks like the donor grill is a 2005 model, and is slightly taller (in the bottom section of the cart frame), otherwise they seem identical. The extra height should be a nice bonus.

I'll post more (and better) pictures here as I get them pulled apart and sorted out. Thanks again for the input on this!

Bruce, if you don't mind, can you PM me the contact info for rcplanebuyer? I am not seeing grates for this particular model on his ebay store and want to ask him if he has them or can make them before I go with bbqparts grates. Also, would prefer to deal with him directly, if possible. I will say I was referred by tvwbb.

Attachments

• PXL_20210526_202303596.jpg
    PXL_20210526_202303596.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 52
If you go to craigslist and go to the San Francisco Bay area and do a search on "flavorizer" and "Burlingame" you should come up with one of his ads. You can contact him through that add. Otherwise when I get home I will post the contact info.

Thanks Bruce. I have messaged him via the craigslist ad, just awaiting a reply now. I'll try to post some progress pictures later today. The firebox (or lid at least) on the donor grill has a lot of rust, so I am moving the firebox and burners from mine over to the new frame.

There are some minor spots of rust on the donor frame. I would like to clean them up and do some touch up with paint. The frames are both stripped down to bare frame at this point. I'm planning on using some brillo to clean up the rust spots. Any recommendations on specific type of paint to use? I was thinking some Rustoleum spray paint. Should I be looking for something high temp, especially for the parts that come in contact with the firebox?

Also, I need to go buy a new (stainless) bolt and nut to hold the firebox to the frame, as the bolts on both units were completely seized up and snapped in two upon removal attempt. This is a simple enough endeavor though.

Thanks Bruce. I have messaged him via the craigslist ad, just awaiting a reply now. I'll try to post some progress pictures later today. The firebox (or lid at least) on the donor grill has a lot of rust, so I am moving the firebox and burners from mine over to the new frame.

There are some minor spots of rust on the donor frame. I would like to clean them up and do some touch up with paint. The frames are both stripped down to bare frame at this point. I'm planning on using some brillo to clean up the rust spots. Any recommendations on specific type of paint to use?
I use Rustoleum 2X paint on the frame except where it is in close contact to the cook box. There I use Rustoleum High Heat Ultra semi-gloss.
I was thinking some Rustoleum spray paint. Should I be looking for something high temp, especially for the parts that come in contact with the firebox?

Also, I need to go buy a new (stainless) bolt and nut to hold the firebox to the frame, as the bolts on both units were completely seized up and snapped in two upon removal attempt. This is a simple enough endeavor though.
2" Stainless steel 1/4"x20 bolt and nut.

The metal parts on mine and many of the plastic parts on the donor should combine to make a nice Frankengrill - we'll call it Frank for short. Looks like the donor grill is a 2005 model, and is slightly taller (in the bottom section of the cart frame), otherwise they seem identical. The extra height should be a nice bonus.
The closed cabinet frames have always been a bit higher than the open cart frames. This is why I at 6'4" actually prefer the closed cabinet grills. But otherwise you can swap parts back and forth. Meaning out of these two you can make a great grill.

Or, rip of the old rusted closed cart panels and drop in a wire rack. Higher grill and you won't have a rusted out cabinet in two more years.

This was a cabinet grill in its previous life: https://madison.craigslist.org/for/d/wisconsin-dells-weber-genesis-silver/7326925626.html

Yea, but the cabinet is the whole point of this project. Need something that will prevent the dogs from helping themselves to the delicious grease drippings. My existing open cart is in great shape still. In fact, if anyone nearby is interested, it may be up for grabs here soon.

May I ask how the firebox (and lid) on that was cleaned though? It is beautiful - nearly spotless.

And, oh, wow, I just noticed the right hand flip up table! Where did you get that? I noticed the receiver bracket for it when I was dismantling and wondered about it. I've always wished it had another work surface over there. I would love to add one to mine.

Last edited:
Jeremy. Hi, it was sand blasted and the outside was painted with Rustoleum High Heat.

Thanks Bruce. I thought that must be a sand blasting. I'll have to see if I can find somewhere that can do it. What about the porcelain enabled part of the lid? Mine has a lot of carbon buildup that doesn't easily come off?

Also, sorry for the late edit above... any idea where I might find one of those right side flip up tables?

Back