Enameled Cast Iron - Recommendations?

Another possible solution to the staining problem: apply a gel-type automatic dishwasher detergent to the stained area and leave it for a few minutes. The bleach in the detergent will take care of the stain. (Caveat: I don't have any porcelain cast-iron pots. I do have a white porcelain kitchen sink that accumulates stains, and the automatic dishwasher detergent works fine on the sink.)

I haven't seen anybody post anything about the Martha Stewart enameled yet, so I'll throw in my .02...
I got a 5 1/2 qt a couple of years ago for my birthday and was at first a little sceptical of the quality because it was a MS & I tend to vear away from celebrity cookware, but I have to admit it's a really nice pot. It has since become my workhorse. Minimal staining, no chipping and I get consistent results no matter what I cook in it. I also have 2 Lodge cast iron dutch ovens that I still use occasionally, but the enameled is so much easier to care for.
If I had to do it over, I would want the Lodge enameled just because the MS is now my odd-ball piece of cast iron out of my collection of 8 Lodge CI pieces, but that's just me being picky.
It's a fine pot.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

To clarify the what & why - I definitely want to go with ENAMELED Cast Iron. This is for three reasons:

#1 - The heat retention of the Cast Iron
#2 - The Enameling protects the Cast Iron Surface, so that I can cook acidic stuff (tomato / wine sauces)
#3 - I want something that also looks nice, for serving oven-to-table (with proper surface protection, of course...)

After doing some research, I have read that the Mario Batali stuff is made by Dansk / Copco (a Norwegian or Swedish firm with a long reputation for this type of cookware) I am usually a "non-believer" when it comes to celebrity-chef-endorsed products, but this one seems to get decent reviews and saves a few bucks without cheaping-out.

I don't mind spending some fairly serious money, if I am reasonable sure that it works for cooking and will LAST.

I have the Mario Batali and after a couple of uses it got stained just like the one posted. Used an acid based cleaner specifically formulated to clean enameled cast iron. The stain got slightly lighter with the cleaner. It cooks fine, and the stains are not a big deal to me anymore (key word). I thought the box said made in China, but I've had it for a couple of years now and maybe they're made elsewhere now. I paid $100 at a local store for it. If I had to do it over, I'd either go for broke and get the French one, or get a Lodge plain cast iron one. I've been using their frying pans and they are great. BTW, tomato sauce does not hurt the cast iron because once it has the carbon base (cure/season) on it, it's as good as enamel. Also, Costco has a Kirkland brand, 7 quart for a real good price (can't recall right now) but it's as good as the Batali and at the time I would have purchased that one. Good luck!

I have the Costco one. It is pretty nice. I have been told that it is made using Staub casts. A steal for the price.

I have the Batali ECI dutch oven and it has held up well over the last 5 years or so, fwiw. It has a couple small nicks in the enamel but nothing that affects performance.

Just a follow up.
The gel type DW detergent and BK friend (not at the same time) made mine almost like new.
Thanks for the tips.
icon_smile.gif

Tim

Originally posted by Jim H.:
I saw Lodge enameled cast iron at my local Kroger's for a great price recently.

Had the Lodge enameled cast iron 6 quart in red at our local Kroger for $39. I may have to pick up one up at that price.

I had the Martha Stewart 7 qt I think. It worked OK but had some issues in general with enamel cast iron.

They are heavy especially when filled with food. They are decent for braising but not very good at much else.

When I heard that Macy's was recalling the Martha Stewart brand I returned mine for a full refund and replaced it with a commercial stainless with a thick alluminum disk bottom.

The stainless is much easier to handle (lighter), braising is the same. The stainless/aluminum is much more responsive which makes it easier to get to simmering and maintaining/fine tuning a simmer.

Another disadvantage is that the enameled cast iron is not ideal for roasting or sauteing to build a sauce because juices from the meats and fish do not adhere to it well, making the separation of the juices from the fat before deglazing difficult. The enamel cast iron kind of steams the meat/fish.

I prefer a rondeau shaped stainless with aluminum or copper bottom because it is more versatile as compared to enamel cast iron. A nice article is here..

http://www.culinate.com/column...r/a_la_rondeau/print

Although they go up to 30 qt and beyond, this is a nice home kitchen sized 10 qt one...
http://www.webstaurantstore.co...ier-pan/9223810.html

i have a small vintage le creuset which i love, but it is itty bitty, 1 qt i believe... great CL find. no discoleration on it at all.

i also have a 6 qt enameled Lodge. no discoloration on it, and i feel it works just as well as regular cast iron. i like it because i can cook in it, set the food on the table and it keeps the heat for a longgg time. also beautiful, mine is red.

kroger pricing at $39 is great, i got mine for Christmas a couple of years ago at Target for $60.

Our Krogers in the Fort Worth area has the Lodge 6 qt enameled cast iron marked down from 69 bucks to 35 and they have red and blue, I picked up a red...

I got mine as a family gift. I have a 3 quart, red dutch oven, and it's a pleasure to use. As some have mentioned you need to baby these expensive pieces of equipment. Use only wood or plastic utensils, heat them slowly, and don't over heat. Look at the discount chain store called "Tuesday Morning." I've seen 'em half priced there.

I got an enamel cast iron dutch oven made by Calphalon at one of their outlet stores. It was definitely discounted when compared to the Amazon price. If there is a Calphalon outlet store near you, it maybe worth checking it out. I really like mine and enjoy using it.

#1 - The heat retention of the Cast Iron#2 - The Enameling protects the Cast Iron Surface, so that I can cook acidic stuff (tomato / wine sauces)#3 - I want something that also looks nice, for serving oven-to-table (with proper surface protection, of course...)
My reasons too.

Having cooked in every brand out there (and owning several) I can't say there is one I'd recommend over another. Go with the combination of style, size, color and price that works for you. Definitely check on line for deals as well as the b&m discounters like Tuesday Morning, Ross, TJMaxx, and Le Creuset's outlet stores.

I have a Calphalon enamel dutch oven and love it to death. I have had it for about 3 years and it works like a charm for stews and roasts.

Ikea has a range of these and they look really nice, especially for the price. I've been very happy with stainless cookware we bought there years ago.

I wish Ikea had a presence in Las Vegas. I really need to get down one of the SoCal ones for a couple things. I don't recall seeing their enameled CI but I would sure take a look. I picked up a nonstick sauté at the Houston one a couple years ago to bring to the Okla house and have really liked it.

Originally posted by patrick sullivan:
They all stain on the bottom. I don't think there is alot you can do about that.

Regarding the stain, give the Mr Clean Magic Eraser a try. I had some stained pots (and cups) and this eraser, with just a few swipes, got it clean as new.

At only a buck or two, it's worth a shot !

I've seen the Ikea's and like them. In the absence if you can find a vintage Copco on Ebay they are nice, actually nicer than the new ones from Ikea IMHO. They were made in fours sizes, 1 thru 4 litre.

Used one (D3) yesterday for bourguignone ;-) Nice tip on the magic eraser.

Or - try cast aluminum roasters. They are lighter and work fine too for acidics based sauces IMHO.

I had to find ours to check the brand. They're Rachel Ray. In my defense, they were wedding or shower presents. I do like them quite a bit, but no idea on the Cost. I'm sure Ikea has a better price.

Back