Enameled Cast Iron - Recommendations?

I picked one of the Lodge's up from Kroger for $35 and then got another one as a gift later.

Love them so far, and having a 2nd one is nice in case I want to make a lot of the same thing, which I usually seem to do... like 3 gallons of chicken noodle soup this past weekend.

High heat prep using the enameled cast iron is often a culprit as far as the staining issue.

This is why I like black iron for that process.

If I need to brown a fairly large quantity of meat before a cook I like to do it in a black iron DO. I like the heat retention and hi walls for this.

If it's an acid based cook I'll degalze the black CI then move the liquids/contents to the enameled piece. Then the enameled piece is used for the duration.

I don't get the heavy staining in the enamelware this way.

The other thing though is that I have done a number of "acidic" cooks in well treated/seasoned CI and as long as I remove into another dish/pot right after the cook finishes I have minimal discoloration in the finished product and have no issue with removal of the seasoning/coating of the black CI.

The times I've run into discoloration of the finished contents is when I let it sit in the black CI peace after serving.

Anyway depends on how acidic the base is AFA using black CI, IME. And I use black CI quite often and only have a couple piece of enamelware.

Back