Eat Your Spice Rack

Since we haven't picked another spice and still on CURRY, here is a good sounding marinade I just came across while working on my Marinade binder.

Sweet Curry Marinade with Buttermilk

3/4 cup buttermilk
1 TB. juice from 1 lemon
3 medium cloves of garlic, minced
1 TB. brown sugar
1 TB. CURRY powder
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground fresh black pepper

Enough for 1 recipe of shish kebab

Source: America's Test Kitchen - 1-15-05

Well, it's been a while. Think it is time to pick another spice from our rack. I pick

TURMERIC

Well, it's been a while. Think it is time to pick another spice from our rack. I pick

TURMERIC

on chicken pieces, marinated for for a few hours then grilled over coals. you can thank me later. this is a SPECTACULAR recipe and cook!!!!

I found this recipe in my TURMERIC binder. It sounds real good, but it doesn't say what to use it on. Does anyone have any ideas.?

Curry Oil

1 cup vegetable oil
1 TB plus 1/4 tsp.. curry powder
1 TB. cumin seeds
1 1/2 tsp. TURMERIC
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. freshly ground white pepper
1/2 tsp. coriander seeds
1/2 garlic clove
1/4 small dried red chili, crumbled

Combine all ingredients in heavy small saucepan. Cook over low heat until mixture bubbles. Simmer 2 minutes. Cool completely. Strain through sieve lined with several layers of dampened cheesecloth. (Can be stored in covered glass jar in refrigerator up to 1 year.) Makes about 1 cup

I know this should go on the Humor thread, but it is a treat for the "eat your spice-rack" viewers. lol
1648921072687.png

on chicken pieces, marinated for for a few hours then grilled over coals. you can thank me later. this is a SPECTACULAR recipe and cook!!!!
I've made and used it and it is nice ;)
Didn't check if the recipes are identical, but definitely worth a try.

You can go all the way with turmeric and you'll find it back in most curries, but also in lots of other Indian and SE Asian recipes...
Try these: https://www.seriouseats.com/grilled-turmeric-chicken-gai

And yes, I did make them all.
Yesterday was freestyle chicken tikka masala. Also contains turmeric

And shoarma (whatever spelling you want to use)
And
And
And.....

Here is a non-India use for TURMERIC.

Cowboy Rub

1 TB. chili powder
1 TB. paprika
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. ground TURMERIC
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 dash ground nutmeg.

Source: "1,001 Best Grilling Recipes" Rick Browne - pub. 2011

Florida Jambalaya

3 TB. butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 lb. smoked sausage (such as kielbasa), cut into 1/2" pieces
1 cup long-grain white rice
2 medium potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2" cubes
2 1/4 cups canned chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 4oz. jar sliced pimientos with juice
1/2 tsp. TURMERIC
Cayenne pepper
1/2 lb. large uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1. Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until just soft, about 5 minutes.
2. Add sausage; saute until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add rice and stir to coat with pan juices. Mix in potatoes, broth, wine, pimientos with juices and TURMERIC.
3. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne. Bring to a boil; stir well.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook until rice and potatoes are tender and liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
5. Mix in shrimp and chopped cilantro. Cover and cook until shrimp are just cooked through, about 4 minutes. Serves 4

Source: Bon Appetit 11-92

Hi Anne, I can't remember if I have ever had fresh Turmeric, but I know I am NEVER without fresh Ginger.

Island Marinade

2/3 cup pineapple juice
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3 TB. dark brown sugar
2 TB. cider vinegar
1 TB. TURMERIC
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. ground cayenne
1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
1/2 tsp. ground cumin

USE: 2 lbs. beef, lamb, pork, or poultry

Source: Good Foods 8-88

We have made this twice with chicken thighs and very delicious. Can't wait to try it with pork.

Last edited:
VERY HAPPY to report that DH is out in the kitchen now, making this marinade for some ribs. Will report back later.;)

and........I don't know what to say. They were good but did not live up to my expectation. If a next time, I would say less Turmeric. Also, I think adding some crushed pineapple might help.

It has been a while, does anyone have a suggestion as to what spice/herb we can use next? Or maybe a bottle of spice blend, homemade or store bought. What do you have just sitting around going stale? Or, do you want me to pick the next one? Just let me know.

OK, I will wait till noon tomorrow. If no one reply's by then, I will pick the next one.

Fresh basil would not be sitting in a spice rack going stale, but how about we use both fresh and dried? Is that ok with you Brett?

Back