Eastern North Carolina-Style BBQ Sauce

DH has some pork butt cooking in the slow cooker. While looking up something to put on it, I saw this. Chris, here is another version, if interested. I think I will be able to handle the 1 TB. of hot sauce. lol

Eastern North Carolina Sauce
"In eastern North Carolina, spiced vinegar sauce offsets the richness of pork."

1 cup distilled white vinegar
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 TB. sugar
1 TB. crushed red chile flakes
1 TB. hot sauce
1 TB. kosher salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. paprika

Combine. Makes 2 cups

Source: Saveur mag. June 2011
DH did make this for me last night. We had pulled pork sandwiches. I kept pouring a lot of the sauce on my sandwich. DH thinks I'm crazy. I kept saying it wasn't vinegary enough. lol I did like it. Glad there is some left over. Wonder what it would taste like on a salad?

DH did make this for me last night. We had pulled pork sandwiches. I kept pouring a lot of the sauce on my sandwich. DH thinks I'm crazy. I kept saying it wasn't vinegary enough. lol I did like it. Glad there is some left over. Wonder what it would taste like on a salad?
It would be good for making slaw.

Joan - What color was the sauce?

Jeff, I just looked at the leftover bottle and it looks like orangy/brown. Not sure, haven't had a cup of coffee yet, eyes are not wide open. lol Why?
I guess my question does sound strange. I’ve made a few sauces that were okay but very dark and the color didn’t appeal to me. Orangy/brown sounds good. Thanks.

From Cook's Country magazine, June/July 2020:

Eastern North Carolina-Style BBQ Sauce
  • 1.5 cups apple cider vinegar
  • 1 cup Texas Pete Original Hot Sauce
  • 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Whisk together to combine.
So, a bunch of yankees are going to tell us how to make Eastern North Carolina BBQ sauce.

I guess my question does sound strange. I’ve made a few sauces that were okay but very dark and the color didn’t appeal to me. Orangy/brown sounds good. Thanks.
You wouldn't like my version, then. I add some molasses to the recipe, and even a bit of (brace yourself!) ketchup. Of course, I don't call it Eastern NC sauce. Maybe Triad sauce? Nobody else (as far as I know) has laid claim to that particular regionalism. :)

You wouldn't like my version, then. I add some molasses to the recipe, and even a bit of (brace yourself!) ketchup. Of course, I don't call it Eastern NC sauce. Maybe Triad sauce? Nobody else (as far as I know) has laid claim to that particular regionalism. :)
I’d probably like it. Does it have vinegar in it?

I’d probably like it. Does it have vinegar in it?
Yes.
1 cup white vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp red pepper flakes
1 tbsp hot sauce
1 tbsp black pepper
4 tbsp ketchup
1 tbsp molasses

Blend together and let sit a couple of days.

The first 6 ingredients came from a recipe I found somewhere online. The last two were my own minor tweaking.

Yes.
1 cup white vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp red pepper flakes
1 tbsp hot sauce
1 tbsp black pepper
4 tbsp ketchup
1 tbsp molasses

Blend together and let sit a couple of days.

The first 6 ingredients came from a recipe I found somewhere online. The last two were my own minor tweaking.
Sounds good to me. I just started making the Saveur recipe Joan posted. Your recipe is similar to that recipe. I just finished blending the sugar and salt in hot vinegar.

We take our BBQ seriously here in NC.
I live in the Piedmont where Lexington style is more common. From what I've read the ketchup and sugar are due to the German immigrant's, lots of us here have German heritage, taste for the sweet/sour. Think Sauerbraten. They also use the sauce to make 'red slaw'.

Eastern is usually just vinegar and spices. Slaw is just cabbage, vinegar and mayo (Dukes not Miracle Whip).

This recipe wouldn't be called Eastern from a purist stand point due to the sugar. I do use it and love it. The small amount of sugar tones down the vinegar.

Texas Pete is made almost literally around the corner and is considered a side dish. :p

Last edited:

Back