E330 NG and LP manifold and valve side by side comparison

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
I finally found an original 2016 Genesis E330 LP manifold for a fair price. AR date code.

Last year I converted my E330 NG to LP using orifices and a regulator as I could not find a manifold in stock anywhere. It is also a 2016 AR date code.

I have the original NG orifices and hose from my E330NG. I had given them away but they were never used so I have them once again.

My plan is to compare the two manifolds and valves and orifices side by side including the internals.

Notes:

1. There is already an excellent post documenting valve differences. There is a great deal of information and details I won't attempt to cover so I encourage giving that thread a read.

2. I would rather not debate if this should or should not be done. That horse has been beaten to death, buried, dug up and beat again.

3. I would rather not debate front control gennys and how bad they suck and that Weber should be flogged for this. Again, beaten to death.

I might get to the comparison this week, but I was happy I found a manifold.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess a pic is in order.

20220709_125444.jpg

Oh yeah, along with a manifold, the guy included a complete, but very dirty and spider infested E330.

20220709_111546.jpg

Last edited:
From the picture in the ad, and the price I expected this to be a parts grill. It may just need a good cleaning and new Flav bars.

I might put mine back to NG and trade it with a good friend for their 2016 E310 LP and flip the 310. They have an NG hookup by their grill.

I think this is a great idea.

Right now, when I make more than one pizza in the Halo, I use my Genny to keep the pizzas warm while I'm cooking the others. I use the middle burner on LO for this so it's important to me that I can go low enough not to overcook. For the record, can you document your lowest temp, middle burner on LO? That is one of the things that typically is lost during an improper gas conversion.

Another difference to note on LP vs NG.

LP versions have a heat shield on the bottom slide out pan. Since LP versions have a tank inside, this is something to consider.

20220709_141304.jpg

NG Versions do not have the heat shield. This was one factor when I moved the tank outside of the cabinet on my convert.

20220709_141721.jpg

That's interesting, although the drip tray without the heat shield looks like it is of better quality, thicker metal?

That's interesting, although the drip tray without the heat shield looks like it is of better quality, thicker metal?

It's just the pictures make them look different. The LP version has a stainless steel shield riveted to the bottom of the porcelain coated steel.

Other than the heat shield they are both identical, and FWIW, the same thickness as a Genesis x000 drip tray.

Ha ha, got it. The picture made me think that the whole pan was aluminum and the heat shield part was the porcelain metal.

I removed one of the main burner valves from each grill to compare them

Spoiler alert: They are different

the valve marked LP is a valve from the LP E330 unmodified
the valve marked "NG" or "NAT" is a valve from the NG E330 with an LP orifice from the conversion kit.

Here is a pic comparing the three orifices
( left to right )
LP | LP from the conversion kit | original NG in my hand
It is hard to see in the picture, but the NG orifice has a much larger opening.

20220713_164008.jpg

The number on the stem of the valve is also different:
LP: 84512
NG: 84513

20220713_164617.jpg

20220713_164635.jpg

the last, and probably most important difference is the valve body:

It may be hard to see
The low temp hole is smaller on LP than NG.
The high temp hole is smaller on LP than NG.

Edit: after @Ed P sorted out how this works, the small hole is initially the High temp, along with varying depth of the channel when the valve is turned.

Nevertheless, the LP openings are smaller than the NG openings on the valve.

20220713_170643.jpg

20220713_165355.jpg

Last edited:
The manifolds appear to be identical. There is a number stamped on the bottom. Not sure if it is a part number or ?

LP: 060115
NG: 030116

Edit: I think the LP manifold may be 060116 but I cannot tell for sure.

20220713_172347.jpg

20220713_172317.jpg

Last edited:
Trying to follow the gas flow here...the gas inlet to the valve spool is at the bottom of the spool. The metering for LO is metered thru the L drilled orifice. As the valve is turned, the metering for MED is through the overlap of passages between the LO orifice (drilled hole) and the HI passage, metered by the drilled H hole. The drilled H hole supplies gas to both the H passage and, as the spool is rotated to HI, to the orifice at the exit of the valve, but HI is actually metered by the orifice at the exit of the valve as it is smaller than the drilled H hole...would you agree?

The passages in both NG and LPG spools appear to be the same size, so MED is a mix of both L and H drilled holes. Very interesting, Dan! This explains a lot. Thanks!

Last edited:
Looks like gas comes in from the side, and out the center of the cone. Still looking at it to understand it.

20220713_174539.jpg

20220713_174225.jpg

Additionally, it looks like the depth of the passage supplied by the H hole changes, shallower at the end closest to the L hole. MED is supplied mostly at first by the L hole but then increasingly by the H hole.

I don't think the direction of flow matters, whether it enters or exits at the bottom, but thanks for pointing that out!

Additionally, it looks like the depth of the passage supplied by the H hole changes, shallower at the end closest to the L hole. MED is supplied mostly at first by the L hole but then increasingly by the H hole.

I don't think the direction of flow matters, whether it enters or exits at the bottom, but thanks for pointing that out!
But yes, it does, in that the LO passage is larger than the L hole that it supplies, and the H passage is smaller than the H hole it supplies. So until the spool is rotated to where the H hole aligns with the inlet, the MED flow is metered by the the area where the passages overlap.

Back