Dutch Oven Pulled Pork

Jerry N.

TVWBB Emerald Member
I’m lazy and the weather isn’t great and I need to do some pulled pork. Anyone ever do pulled pork in the oven? I’m thinking of using my large Dutch oven. I have a boneless pork butt and Would like to do it in the Dutch oven. Looking for some advice. I’m thinking it should be pretty much the same as the WSM in that you trim it, load the Dutch oven, put it in the oven at around 300 degrees and wait until it’s tender.

My Dad used to make pulled pork in the oven and he'd make a traditional gravy from drippings and by searing some fat into a large SS pan on the stove, then deglazing it. It is a much different taste than smoked pulled pork but still was delicious.

My Dad used to make pulled pork in the oven and he'd make a traditional gravy from drippings and by searing some fat into a large SS pan on the stove, then deglazing it. It is a much different taste than smoked pulled pork but still was delicious.
That sounds like a really good alternative. (to smoking)

I do a carnitas cook kinda like that and then crisp it up in the frying pan with either lard or crisco.
Several of my friends only do pulled pork that way and it ain’t half bad.
I find I like my new instant pot more than my old crockpot but ymmv.
Good luck to ya.

Had a lost frozen butt that I just roasted in the oven, Rubbed and put in a lasagna pan at 300. Foiled after a couple hours.
Probed and temped well and pulled apart just fine. A little smoked bbq sauce and it was about as good as any pulled pork from the smoker.

Back