Dutch oven Baked Beans with Mac N Cheese and Pork Chops

Mike Coffman

TVWBB Olympian
½ pound of pinto beans were given a quick boil soak, rested for an hour and then onto the Performer.
First time using this Dutch oven since my wife picked it up at Academy Sports for Christmas.
DutchOven2of7_zpsc22807b9.jpg

Pork Chops were covered with buttermilk brine that my wife got at an after Christmas sale at Williams Sonoma.
DutchOven3of7_zpscee33c19.jpg

1 hour into the Dutch oven cook I rearranged my coals since the beans had not started boiling yet.
I took the beans off the fire bricks; put more coals in my fire ring and on top of the oven, then put
the top grate on the Performer and the lid on the Performer.
DutchOven4of7_zpse81d0185.jpg

2 ½ hours later the beans were cooked and ready for the mixture of sautéed onion, bacon and a
Baked Bean starter that my wife also got at Williams Sonoma.
DutchOven5of7_zps35bb2e0e.jpg

Ingredients stirred into the beans and then covered with a few fresh hot coals on the lid and then
placed on the WSM (no fire, just a holding area) to simmer.
DutchOven6of7_zps03fb3232.jpg

Next up was the homemade Mac N Cheese. Pasta was cooked and then the cheese was melted in
the Mac N Cheese starter mixture that again was picked up at Williams Sonoma. (Did I mention
that my wife likes to shop at Williams Sonoma?) Put into the cooking pans and covered with Panko
bread crumbs.
DutchOven7of7_zps579794fd.jpg

Mac N Cheese onto the Performer indirect.
DutchOven8of8_zps61ae1160.jpg

Mac N Cheese ready to come off and the pork chops were added. 2 were sprinkled with Bone Suckin
Sauce rub and the other one was left the way it came from the brine.
DutchOven9of9_zpsdca2566c.jpg

Pork chops were done at 145 internal.
DutchOven-011_zps507500ce.jpg

Here’s your plate!
DutchOven-012_zps388af25f.jpg

Delicious first cook of 2013! I will definitely be using my Dutch oven over and over again. The Pork
Chops were extremely moist and tender. I am convinced that brining does make a difference!

Thanks for looking!

That 5th pic should be in the W-S catalog. Great cook on all fronts.

One of those DO's have been on my list for awhile.
Nice cook and thanks for sharing!

Tim

Outstanding 2013 start Mike!
I made pinto beans yesterday too, but in a crock pot, your's look great, along with everything else!

That all looks fantastic, Mike. That's how baked beans should look. I'll have to try those W&S starters.

Everything looked great. I love your CI dutch oven, and that cheese sauce from William Sanoma looks very interesting. I might have to go buy that.
Those beans look amazing too!

Back