Duck tacos (w/pics)

G Dechaine

TVWBB Pro
I've been meaning to roast some ducks in the WSM for a long time. Can scratch it on the list. Oh, and I hadn't made my own taco shells in a year. Scratch that one off the list too.

Here's Donald and Daffy, seasoned with S&P, and the skin lightly scored and pricked to let the fat drain.
4939285779_80ea96d93e_z.jpg

On the smoker
4939295533_bbd3774d3e_z.jpg

A couple hours later, nice and crispy. You can tell they're done when the legs wiggle just a little.
4939867548_b3e21ea420_z.jpg

Shredded, chopped
4939289745_fc0a8ca57d_z.jpg

On the shells, with shredded iceberg lettuce, diced radishes, pickled onions.
4939877764_782fe119bb_z.jpg

Man, they were good. But they didn't scream duck. Next time I'll just serve the duck as is, with some regular sides, so you can actually appreciate it. I love duck meat. But hey, this is a minor complaint. I was very happy with how it all turned out.

Enjoy the pictures.

looks great ! the only duck i can get around here is frozen stuff and they never seem to have much if any meat on them at all.

George, these were frozen too.

You don't get as much meat as you would on some chickens, but it's richer meat, so one duck is plenty for four people (or one Jim Lampe).

I can see it now, franchises popping up everywhere:
Dechaine's Duck Tacos

Crazy good idea G!

Never eaten a tame duck, but many wild ones, back when I was younger, and still a duck hunter.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I can see it now, franchises popping up everywhere:
Dechaine's Duck Tacos </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah baby! Good cooking Gabe!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What sort of smoke wood do you use w/ that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I used a few chunks of maple and cherry.

Hoisin and scallions...well, my wife isn't too crazy about fusion. Otherwise, would be a great combo.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">my wife isn't too crazy about fusion. Otherwise, would be a great combo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm just saying, how different are flour tortillas from moo shu pancakes? I guess you made corn tortillas though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by G Dechaine:
...one duck is plenty for four people (or one Jim Lampe). </div></BLOCKQUOTE> That's a BIG 10-4!
GD, sometimes you quack me up
icon_biggrin.gif

Nice cookin' up dem birds!

Back