Dual Briskets (again)

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
So, last week, my neighbor came over for a chili cooking session (he's made my go-to recipe before, but didn't like how it turned out, so he asked if he could cook it with me.) While we were making chili (outdoor kitchen setup, masked, distanced, and partially vaccinated), I lamented that it had been a while since I had cooked a brisket (and I was using the last of my frozen stash for the chili), so a plan was born. Yesterday, it seemed that plan was going to get submarined due to CostCo being out of briskets (.....and, we don't live in Texas, so it's not like you can grab a brisket at pretty much any retail establishment!) ;) Later in the day, I was visiting my mom, which took me reasonably close to another CostCo (Mountain View for those of you local), and they were loaded for bear (cow?):

1616345157628.jpeg

I grabbed a couple from the pile (after rooting through them like a crazy person), and hauled them back home.....and I'll be darned if a pack of those short ribs didn't follow me home, too! ;) Later in the evening, I got my brisket trimmed (hacked) up:

1616345229617.jpeg

....then I seasoned it with Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express (love this stuff on beef), and my buddy treated his with one of the Meat Church rubs, and onto the grill they went at 200F for their overnight rest:

1616345335638.jpeg

This morning, I kicked the temp to 230F, and both briskets are at/approaching stall. Is there anything better than the smell of smoke, meat, and coffee on a crisp, post-Equinox morning???? I think not:

1616345421706.jpeg

I'll be back later to fill anyone who cares in on how this turned out (planning to wrap in pink paper at about 170/175F)..... :) Hope y'all are enjoying a lovely Sunday!

Rich

I see you are going to the Bruno School of Teasing! We have to sit here drooling, hitting refresh, waiting for the next installment. Not Nice. ;)

Seriously, it looks really good so far. I'm elbow deep in work, else I might have just hopped in the car and pointed it north.

Question, do you use uncooked or cooked brisket in your chili?

I see you are going to the Bruno School of Teasing! We have to sit here drooling, hitting refresh, waiting for the next installment. Not Nice.
@Bruno is the pellet-master, so just following his lead
Seriously, it looks really good so far. I'm elbow deep in work, else I might have just hopped in the car and pointed it north.
You would be welcome......SoCal is a bit nebulous, so I can't time your arrival, but sounds like work is winning out in work/life balance today! :(
Question, do you use uncooked or cooked brisket in your chili?
My chili recipe is HERE. It calls for 2.5 lbs of beef (for about 6 servings.) My current ratio is 1lb ground beef and 1lb diced tri tip that gets browned and cooked with the chili from the get go. I then add about 1 lb diced, smoked brisket point in the last 15-30 minutes of cooking (otherwise the already cooked brisket gets overcooked.)

My chili recipe is HERE. It calls for 2.5 lbs of beef (for about 6 servings.) My current ratio is 1lb ground beef and 1lb diced tri tip that gets browned and cooked with the chili from the get go. I then add about 1 lb diced, smoked brisket point in the last 15-30 minutes of cooking (otherwise the already cooked brisket gets overcooked.)
That sounds amazing!!

We have moved into the wrapped phase after about 13.5 hours. Bumped the temp to 250F, should finish out in 2-4 hours.

1616358228319.jpeg

After 16.5 hours, both of our briskets gave up the ghost finally, probing tender at 199/200F. I let my rest in a cooler with some towels for about 2 hours, and then commenced to eating!

Just out of the wrap:

1616379462754.jpeg

Point and flat separated with some slices of each:

1616379475570.jpeg

On the plate with some Basmati rice, and a side salad:

1616379486407.jpeg

This brisket turned out very good. The flat could have been just a bit juicier, but the point was absolutely oozing juices and tender as all get out. I'm very happy with this cook, and have a nice bit of leftovers for some sandwiches this week, as well as for some future batches of chili.

Thanks for riding along today! :)

Rich

For the authentic Texas experience!!
I always strive for perfection when it comes to recreating regional specialties, Brad. I checked again, and the rice was actually TexMati, so I think that counts. Del Monte Foods (the maker of my bagged salad mix) has a distribution facility in Allen, TX, so, again, pretty sure that makes it authentically Texan. :)

Looks good Rich, I rarely give that piece of meat that much love with 16.5 hours.....although I want to. Generally I start as early as I can wake up.
You are on the pellet though if I can remember right. But an early start ( 6am ) with the meat on there can usually get a 10- 12 hour on grill cook with some cooler time to spare.
Looks great though, I bet it tasted great, you are like a god to your neighbor I think.

Back