Dry Aged Strips w/ Ancho-Espresso Rub & Chipotle Butter

Hayden McCall

TVWBB All-Star
This might have been one of the most delicious steaks I've made yet. I used the rub and compound butter from two different recipes within Weber's Steak & Sides book. Red garnet yam, bi-color corn, and broccoli with cheese finished off one helluva plate.

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">helluva plate </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
10-4 Good Buddy!
Need to get us a convoy over to Hayden's home base!
Keep on truckin' McCall!

Looks Good Hayden!
i gotta question for you though....
how come there are empty spots on that plate?
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Looks Good Hayden!
i gotta question for you though....
how come there are empty spots on that plate?
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well...I was trying to show off my environmentally conscious side by making sure everyone could see the bamboo that was used in said plate. What you don't realize is, I ate everything I cooked. It woulda looked hoggish if I'd put everything on at once. LOL

Hayden,
GREAT looking cook!
Talk to me about that sweet potato. I've never done one on the grill.
Take me through it start to finish, please.

Hayden,
Where did you get the dry aged steaks? Did you do them yourself? If so, how did you age the beef? I have only tried wet aging and have had pretty good results.
Lance

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Charles Howse:
Hayden,
GREAT looking cook!
Talk to me about that sweet potato. I've never done one on the grill.
Take me through it start to finish, please. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sweet potatoes/yams are fairly straight forward. They take an hour on the grill in the 350-400 range. I have never been able to overcook one of these. They simply get softer in the center, which most people have no objections to. If you're not one for eating the skin on potatoes, you can just chuck it right on top of the coals. I think baked sweet potatoes are my favorite grilled vegetable along with corn on the cob.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lance:
Hayden,
Where did you get the dry aged steaks? Did you do them yourself? If so, how did you age the beef? I have only tried wet aging and have had pretty good results.
Lance </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have yet to attempt to dry age my own beef. However, it is my intention to do so in the near future, given the relative ease in which it appears it can be done...and the price difference. I purchased these at Whole Foods. My butcher shop of 15 years can't touch their meats with a 10 foot pole. Whole Foods carries far more cuts, none of it's frozen or has ever been frozen, and they carry regular beef, grassfed beef, dry-aged beef, and buffalo. About the only thing they do not carry is USDA Prime.

Hayden,
Thanks for the info. I know I have a whole foods around me but I have never been because it is not very convenient. It does sound like a great place to go for meat.
Lance

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
Look at you go Young Grasshoppah!! Fantastic! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

:) Thanks brother. What can I say. You inspire me.

Really guys - who cares where the steaks came from? If dry aged NYS is to spendy get some cheaper choice and selects and treat them with the salt method mentioned bunches of times on this site. I might not do my whole shopping list for WF, but there are certainly things I'll go for there.

The grade, choice of treatment (aged or not), is totally up to you. Adapt his recipe to what you want to do is the point.

Hey Hayden - back to the cook. How does the Weber espresso rub compare to this one below? My favorite for steaks is a basic rub of salt (skipped if I salt rub first on lower grade steak), pepper, garlic, then ancho, guajillo, and pasilla. Pretty much it. Will at times add a compound butter (with one or more of the chillis). Other than a dried porcini rub we also like that has become a standard for me. The liquid from the foil/set period is kept for dipping and is excellent. I'm liking the sounds of the expresso rub.

* 1/2 cup ground sweet ancho chile or california chile powder
* 1/2 cup dark instant espresso powder
* 4 Tablespoons hot smoked Spanish paprika
* 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
* 1 Tablespoon dry yellow mustard powder
* 1 Tablespoon salt
* 2 Tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
* 1 Tablespoon powdered ginger

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hey Hayden - back to the cook. How does the Weber espresso rub compare to this one below? My favorite for steaks is a basic rub of salt (skipped if I salt rub first on lower grade steak), pepper, garlic, then ancho, guajillo, and pasilla. Pretty much it. Will at times add a compound butter (with one or more of the chillis). Other than a dried porcini rub we also like that has become a standard for me. The liquid from the foil/set period is kept for dipping and is excellent. I'm liking the sounds of the expresso rub.

* 1/2 cup ground sweet ancho chile or california chile powder
* 1/2 cup dark instant espresso powder
* 4 Tablespoons hot smoked Spanish paprika
* 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
* 1 Tablespoon dry yellow mustard p dark-roast coffee or espressowder
* 1 Tablespoon salt
* 2 Tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
* 1 Tablespoon powdered ginger </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Significantly different.

2T dark-roast coffee or espresso beans
2t cumin seed, toasted
1T ancho chile powder
1t paprika
1t kosher salt
1t ground black pepper

In a spice mill, pulse the coffee beans and cumin seed until finely ground. Transfer to a small bowl, add the remaining ingredients, and stir to combine.

I've done a few coffee rubs now. And I don't know what it is, but there's something about it that I find excellent in a rub. This one, happens to be my favorite, however. Combined with the ancho, it's just a devastating pairing.

Back