drinking and cooking

Should one drink and cook at the same time ? Anyone notice a correlation of drinking and cooking accidents ? When I say drinking, it means alcohol is involved.
I assume you're talking about grilling/smoking.
1. Yes.
2. Don't know - nothing to compare it to.

For the last 4 or 5 years, I've given up drinking for Lent.
I did that when I was in college. *That* was a challenge!;)

I don't mind a beer or 2 while grilling but if it's an all-day cook like a butt I don't pop the first top until later in the day.

For the last 4 or 5 years, I've given up drinking for Lent. Not because I'm uber religious, but it is as good a time as any to take a break. My other hobby is winemaking and I consume more than the average bear. A 6 week break goes surprisingly quick, but it is nice to know that I can do it. What's really frightening though is how great I feel after the first couple weeks and how much my sleep improves.

I tried laying low a few times, and while It did feel great I couldn't fall asleep. I get up @ 3am everyday for the last 30 yrs and I need at least a nightcap to tuck me in.

Tim

Dealing with a toddler with a hangover is not an option so typically there's no drinking involved when I cook. Even when I did I had a tendency to skip a step here or there if I was drinking.

I did that when I was in college. *That* was a challenge!;)

Wow! I can't even imagine!

I tried laying low a few times, and while It did feel great I couldn't fall asleep. I get up @ 3am everyday for the last 30 yrs and I need at least a nightcap to tuck me in.

Tim

I have a little trouble sleeping for the first week or so. After that, I'm amazed at how quickly I fall asleep, and believe it or not, how much more I sleep. And, of course, I wake up feeling great.

Drinking does not equal hammered. If I'm staggering, I'm probably not thinking about cooking anyway. Of course, I don't recall the last time I was staggering. That's a younger man's game. I can no longer take the pain in the morning. I suppose I'm impaired enough that the risk is elevated, but I'm by nature a very careful person and I see no correlation between having a few beers and any increase in accidents. I guess if I grilled/smoked on a wooden deck, I might give it a bit more thought, but I'm on a cement porch and take it easy on the consumption.

My dad used to get hammered. Maybe that's why he never grilled. :)

my friends sometimes call beer "liquid stretch" for MX. I was surprised the first time a long time ago when I was handed the first of a few from a backpack on some technical (boulder fields / river beds / double track) terrain. I went with it, not sure whether it hurt or helped.

There's a fine line (around 6-8 total for me) between feeling good & getting sloppy especially when consequences are near. I had a few beers on my roof towards the end of the first night (weekend before last), probably the 2nd too, & when my friends told me they were on the way to help on Saturday I had to emphasize "NO BEERS!" so they didn't bring the party to help strip off my old roof.

cooking????? not too worried :) I set lots of timers if I need a reminder. If people are over I'll sometimes delegate which is nice too (hey - watch those onion rings, & then someone else is tending them). Just sucks when someone doesn't set the lid down all the way on the WSM or grill & the temp soars. NBD (to me) that's the only bad thing I've had happen.

Back