Drilled through my cook box to install drip pan rails!!!

Ed can you guide me in the direction of an " amazing " kitchen knife set? I cant stand our current set and I believe it is a decent brand name. I want my kitchen knives to literally be dangerous to handle :) I shouldnt have to struggle to cut through anything. As far as I can tell my set doesnt even deserve to be sharpened.

Ed can you guide me in the direction of an " amazing " kitchen knife set? I cant stand our current set and I believe it is a decent brand name. I want my kitchen knives to literally be dangerous to handle :) I shouldnt have to struggle to cut through anything. As far as I can tell my set doesnt even deserve to be sharpened.
This is worthy of a new thread in kitchen gadgets.

You might be right, Dan...but there are dedicated knife forums for this very subject where I got a lot of my info from.

I was thinking is there are likely enthusiasts here that we already know and trust that could share their knowledge here.

So what am I, chopped liver? And to think, I used to like you!:cry:

JUST KIDDING, of course! Hey, if you want to start the thread, I'll contribute. I'm more into independent research rather than relying on one person's opinion, but I can recommend some links and a book or two. I wish I could get the hang of using a whetstone, but it's just not consistent for me, unlike a guided system.

Apologies, That wasn't my intention and I've always appreciated your input.

That said, I find good opinions and suggestions tend to multiply. I like others opinions and the sources of the research but I'm too busy, or should I say lazy to dig through the entire intererweb.

My thoughts were if others had suggestions they might see it in a dedicated thread vs page 2 of drilling out cookbox.

Jim - I picked up this Chef's Choice Model 15XV and never have a dull knife. I actually pick up knives for less than $1 at the thrift store, sharpen them, give them away as gifts to people, and they love how sharp they are. The sharpened blades last about 2-3 months with regular use and have 2 sets in rotation, so about every 4-6 months I take about 30 minutes and sharpen all my knives again and split them into 2 groups.

Thanks Joe.....my knives need all the help they can get....I am embarrassed to say that I have never sharpened them. The brand is J A Henckels........its prob not the knives fault.......I am guilty as charged.

Thanks Joe.....my knives need all the help they can get....I am embarrassed to say that I have never sharpened them. The brand is J A Henckels........its prob not the knives fault.......I am guilty as charged.
I had tried about 6-10 different ways to sharpen knives, stones, manual sharpeners, gizmos, etc. This one finally worked. None of my knives could even cut paper. After sharpening they slice nice clean lines through everything.

I've owned that sharpener that Joe mentions for almost 20 years. It does a decent job but boy, it removes a lot of metal. I can post pictures of what it has done to my knives over the years if you like. Maybe it doesn't matter with thrift store knives, but I would not use it on a good knife. Some or most of it is me, of course, not knowing about the ins-and-outs of knife sharpening and reaching for the sharpener every time the knife seemed dull.

I'd like to recommend a book. I know that nobody around here is going to buy it, but it changed my viewpoint on knife sharpening. Maybe you can find an used copy somewhere.

View attachment 43787

Ed - A couple of years ago when I bought this sharpener I had whished it took off more material! My knives where basically like butter knives and it took me forever on the left hand slot (shaping) to get most of the nicks out and get an edge. Now I just use a few strokes in the middle to get the edge back and a few in the right for honing. Very quick and very little metal loss.

Picked up a guided sharpener at the restaurant store a couple months ago and it definitely made a difference with our knives. I’m about to go into this sharpening rabbit hole now.

Hey all I appreciate the feedback........I could care less about additional chatter on my thread.....heck.....I asked the question :)

I agree. And there are forums dedicated specifically to knives and knife sharpening, such as bladeforums.com, for people who are interested in learning more.

Last edited:
This just in! I got the center bits in the mail......great solution to me breaking drill bits. These things are strong and just plow through the old hardened steel. Thank you for the suggestion!!!!!
Got the cook box attached to the frame and the hood on......then I was able to make good progress on the very old manifold........got her all cleaned up. I will just need a 1/8 to 3/4 flare to connect a brand new regulator. This ole gal is coming back to life!!!!!

Attachments

• 20220121_193701.jpg
    20220121_193701.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220121_193637.jpg
    20220121_193637.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 18
This just in! I got the center bits in the mail......great solution to me breaking drill bits. These things are strong and just plow through the old hardened steel. Thank you for the suggestion!!!!!
Got the cook box attached to the frame and the hood on......then I was able to make good progress on the very old manifold........got her all cleaned up. I will just need a 1/8 to 3/4 flare to connect a brand new regulator. This ole gal is coming back to life!!!!!
Looks great. How did you get the cook box so clean? I know it was too cold here in VA to use a hose!

Hey Joe.....I never use water.....I dont have a water source at my warehouse. I just suit up...respirator and other protective gear on .......put two fans on high right next to me to blow the crud away from me.....and go to town with a grinder and wire brush cup. It is def not my favorite part of the job :( .....

Hey Joe.....I never use water.....I dont have a water source at my warehouse. I just suit up...respirator and other protective gear on .......put two fans on high right next to me to blow the crud away from me.....and go to town with a grinder and wire brush cup. It is def not my favorite part of the job :( .....
Your more of a man than I. In the summer I wear crocks, shorts, tshirt, and apron and scrub. When cooler I wear longer stuff and boots. When too cold I shut off the water and wait until spring;-) I did not even know you could clean a grill without water. Even when I used to use a grinder I did it after a scrub job. I stopped grinding as I was not getting much if anything more for my flippers, and as the saying goes the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. That being said maybe that is not such a bad idea in the winter when it is too cold to use water. How do you manage to clean the warehouse or do you also do it outside?

Yea, my dream would be for a shop that has running water and a huge commercial sink. Oh, and enough heat to make it tolerable to use it in the winter and with no burst pipes! This former Floridian is still trying to get my head around what cold, cold temperatures can do. My stuff is just sitting in my sheds and garage waiting for warmer weather here in the Midwest and for tax season to be over.

Yea, my dream would be for a shop that has running water and a huge commercial sink. Oh, and enough heat to make it tolerable to use it in the winter and with no burst pipes! This former Floridian is still trying to get my head around what cold, cold temperatures can do. My stuff is just sitting in my sheds and garage waiting for warmer weather here in the Midwest and for tax season to be over.
I have thought of exactly what you just wrote. In the home we are having built I specified a sink in the garage. The problem is it would need to have some sort of grease trap system if used to clean grills or your pipes would get clogged. I will explore those in the future. BTW I picked the worst time in recent history to build a Friggin house, what a PITA.

I believe you want a 1/8" male NPT to 3/8" female flare adapter. 3/4" is way too big.

Mornin fellow Weberites! Well I think I have sent u guys pics of my warehouses that I manage for work.........believe me they are bare bones concrete and cinderblock with a rolling door. I drilled through the concrete block to run extension cords to our other space just to get some dang power in there. That said having the use of these huge spaces to tinker in has truly been a blessing and I absolutely love going over there in the nice weather and tinkering literally all day. If its a work day I will still stop by and drill something out.....or paint something......then go back out to work while the work dries......only to return after work to tinker again until the wife calls. She keeps trying to get me to do all this work in the garage.....but I have a million Weber parts and pieces in the warehouse all organized and ready to go. I do have the same dream u guys have...but its more like for my retirement house some day.....I want an outbuilding ( shop ) as big as the property will handle ......and there will always be some kind of car or boat that I am working on along with 10 or so Weber grills that are in the cue. Oh.....and a dog....that would be nice to. :)
As for cleaning the cook boxes.........grinding the boxes is the worst position we can put ourselves in other then using the toxic grill paint we use.....so if u can avoid grinding out a cook box I would recommend it. For some reason I just dont get the same satisfaction out of finishing a grill that doesnt look shiny and new. I spend way too much time on them so I would be in red on every grill I sell......I started using a sandblaster which solved my problem but now only 3 grills with him and he doesnt want to do them anymore for our agreed price....35 to blast....50 to blast and paint. I need to find a smaller operation that actually wants the small piece work. I took some time off from doing resto's after getting a little burned out and injuring my arm.....and what drew me back in to the hobby was only resto'ing winners......classics......colored hooded winners.....deep box 13 bar monsters........or the occasional easy money 300 series that some rich person gave up on. So far my strategy is holding strong and I literally think about whatever grill I am working on as I lay in bed trying to fall asleep...I think about my next moves and the parts and pieces that i need. I hope that I dont sound like a crazy person :( I also think about my boat or car.....just tinkering in general....
I am jacked on coffee hence the long ramble......
Current grills in the cue
1. Just finished two what I call 1000's ...deep box 13 bars.....one red one green
2. Currently working on ole red.....I dont know what model it is ..early Genesis Silver? 5 bar red head seen in a pic in the thread
3. Recently scored a green top Silver B double flip ups with green top
4. Have a black nat gaser in great shape deep boxer 13 bar
5. 300 series beast all stainless with rotted lower shelf rotted out
6. Recently scored two free red hoods given away by a former Weberite.....
7. Black hood that I can make a red hood 1000 deep box 13 bar which is pre sold.....

Its all I can do to not drag anymore into the shop........I promised myself I wouldnt do that again.....at one time it looked like I was herding cows in the shop......Weber cows......I couldnt even move around in the shop which through off my ying and yang................

OK ramble session over..........grill on boys!
oh......ps......I have been on a serious diet for the last month which is all about low carbs low sugar high protein. I have been grilling almost every night in the fridgid temps with my grill right by the door. Now that I am learning how to cook...fish...steak...chicken....pork........I am really enjoying my Weber grill!!!! I have been using the Weber brand cast iron skillet all oiled up........then after getting a good crust from the skillet I sometimes finish the meat with a few minutes on the grates. Now I know why u guys like these dang grills so much!!!!!
Ohhhh snap! Forgot one grill.....just picked up another black 1000 for $25 which was garage kept........I have it in my garage just fixin a few things then I want to put it on my deck for a cook off with my Silver B.......I cant wait to finally cook on a deep boxer 13 bar............What the heck is all the excitement all about.....I will report back.
Damn.....that was a strong cup of coffee!!!! I am jacked!!!

Pssss....yep Bruce you are right.....it has been a while since i ordered the connector ...no wonder it didnt show up in my search box on Amazon. So I went to the amazing stickie thread at the top of the gaser thread and quickly clicked on parts...scrolled down found what I needed and ordered 5 of dem straight outta woohan then since I am impatient I just ordered another regulator with the 1/8 connection on it that is delivered next day.......

Back