Double Kettle Easter Dinner

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
I got both the kettles cooking for Easter Dinner.
IMG_20220417_160149581_HDR.jpg

Master Touch got the Rotisserie chicken and cubed potatoes.
IMG_20220417_160036418_HDR.jpg

One touch gold got the ham and later the
IMG_20220417_160134259_HDR.jpg

Broccoli al gratin
IMG_20220417_164706796_HDR.jpg

And finished with the ham glaze.
IMG_20220417_171139200_HDR.jpg

And a full plate.
IMG_20220417_173513203.jpg

Pictures were spradtic but the day and the food were great. The ham was the best we have ever had. Picture taking was put on the back burner due to the kick ball game, and hourseshoes, and wifle ball, and bike ride. But the ham on the kettle with peach wood using the below glaze was the show stopper of the meal. I got tons of great thin slices, but I took all the end bits that had all that smoke and tacky glaze. I went back for seconds and thirds and ate way too much.
IMG_20220417_211837658.jpg

Hope your Easter day and food was as great as mine. Thanks for all the help from you guys to get this meal onto the table.

That looks lights out! Plate looks tremendous.
Are those potatoes catching the chicken drippings or am I dreaming? I never considered this technique...

That looks lights out! Plate looks tremendous.
Are those potatoes catching the chicken drippings or am I dreaming? I never considered this technique...
I wanted to add, the potatoes are partially pre-cooked/pre-boiled and put rested on a metal rack to dry before being mixed with seasoning and oil. Then when the chicken comes off to rest and be carved up, I bring the potato's up on a grate and get them browned up. Yesterday, they spent most that time over the coals, just watch to get the doneness you want and then over to the indirect side. Last night, the potatoes were the last thing served, as I left them on the kettle until everything else was on the table, then I went outside, grabbed them off the kettle and served.

Those beans look great. Butter, kidney,...
Yeah they are a family favorite:
One 14 oz can butter bean (strained)
One 14 oz can Kidney bean (stained)
Two 14 oz cans backed beans
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 graded onion
1 Tablespoon Yellow Mustard
1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
1 lb cooked bacon.

Cook the bacon, cut up into strips, drain the first two beans, mix all ingredients, simmer for a few hours and serve.

Sorry guys and thank you Bruno, yes Baked Beans, and Tim you got it I always use bush's original. I see no reason when this dish can not and should not be smoked/done outside. It is just a dish that I have made before I got into smoking and it is just easy to get into a covered pot and let simmer while all the other cooking is happening.

So can I get the details on the ham? Really outstanding. Time and temp on that bundle of porcine goodness?

(At this point, I've run out of superlative adjectives to describe people's cooks here...sticking with 'outstanding' for foreseeable future.)

So can I get the details on the ham? Really outstanding. Time and temp on that bundle of porcine goodness?

(At this point, I've run out of superlative adjectives to describe people's cooks here...sticking with 'outstanding' for foreseeable future.)
Tim,
That was the first ham I have ever double smoked so after watching and reading and talking to others on here I went for it. The kettle started at 275 and after 3 1/4 hours the 6.7 lb ham hit 110 degrees. At 100 I started to make the glaze and then I put the glaze on every 10 mins for just under 40 mins (somehow it got glazed 5 times, do that math) when it hit 135 and I took it off. The temps climbed to 325 by the end of the cook. It went on the kettle at 1:30 and come off at 5:20. I went heavy on th peach smoking wood, but no seasoning when it went on the kettle. I love pineapple so after researching I took three different pineapple based glazes and come up with this final hybrid version. It will be a keeper for me. Full disclosure I did not use the whole teaspoon of hot sauce, max half. It added a great note and the only change I may make is I may half the mustard. I still have leftovers, but I want to look for sales in ham this week to get another to recreate it for another Sunday night cook.

Back