Dome Thermometer

WJones

A gripe - the dome thermometer on my 18 WSM lasted 10 years before it failed, ok I have no problem with that so ordered a new one from Weber, great but it failed within a year so switched to using my Thermoworks probe thermometer stuck thru the rubber gasket I installed for monitoring meat temperature. This works fine but it just irritates me every time I use my smoker. Is this a common problem or should I just get over it and order another new Weber hood thermometer?

I like the Tel-Tru BQ225 thermometers (2" dial, 2.5" stem) , like these: https://www.amazon.com/Tel-Tru-BQ225-Barbecue-Thermometer-Aluminum/dp/B008BLD5KC?tag=tvwb-20 or https://www.amazon.com/Tel-Tru-BQ225-Barbecue-Thermometer-inch/dp/B008BLD6EM?tag=tvwb-20 The BQ225 thermometers fit in the existing thermometer hole in the dome, on top of the existing bezel. Just add a 1/4"-20 hex nut as on the back threads before inserting the thermometer to prevent pulling the stem out of the dial when tightening. If you search for Tel-Tru BQ225 thermometer on Amazon, you will find several different dial styles. Chris A. lists a number of alternative thermometers under "Installing a Thermometer here: https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/installing-thermometer/

I'm with Keith J. above. The TT BQ225 is a grate fit for the Weber bezel. No mods req'd. Straight replacement. What I also did do was put a fibre washer between the wing-nut and the inside of the lid so it can be snugged up without fear of cracking the porcelain finish.
screenshot_01.jpg

I’ve got one I was considering installing but, have never gotten around to it. Seems like I can always get parts to do something but, I don’t often get around to installing them!
Let’s see…
Dome thermometer ✅
AKORN hinge. ✅
Drawbolts. ✅

NONE installed!
The idea is always good, execution? Not so much.
I will have to say that if I had a decent “shop space” I might get things done in a more timely manner but, I may be deluding myself.

I’ve got one I was considering installing but, have never gotten around to it. Seems like I can always get parts to do something but, I don’t often get around to installing them!
Let’s see…
Dome thermometer ✅
AKORN hinge. ✅
Drawbolts. ✅

NONE installed!
I will have to say that if I had a decent “shop space” I might get things done in a more timely manner but, I may be deluding myself.
If you're like me, there just aren't enough of these around:

round_tuit.jpg

Let’s see…
Dome thermometer ✅
AKORN hinge. ✅
Drawbolts. ✅

NONE installed!
Sounds familiar, although I've gotten a few things done lately that have been on my procrastination list for some time. Upgraded the controller in my Traeger last July to one with 2 meat probes and just got around to installing the probe grommet yesterday. Can't tell you when I last crushed and bagged beer and soda cans. Got to a point that I could barely get into the shed without tripping over bags of uncrushed ones. Finished crushing over the last 3 days. Got 1 1/3, 33 gallon bags to take to the local animal rescue place tomorrow. Rotated inventory in the chest freezer, organized and pulled out a big pork but. First time I can remember having so much room in it. Finally got around to refurbishing the side gate into our back yard last week. Been patching it up for several years.

Guess it's time to hibernate now :)

Update:
For those wishing to install a thermometer at grate level without drilling the dome or a new hole in the barrel.
After changing out the Weber dome therm for a more reliable Tel-Tru one, what to do with the old Weber one?
I'll use it to measure the temp at the top cooking grate. Do I need to? No, but what the heck. Boiling water test showed it was reading +/-20F low. I'm in the ballpark.
I removed the top nut and bolt from one of the grating support straps, & using a step-drill bit opened up the holes slightly to accommodate the 0.25" thread on the thermometer. You have to rotate the thermometer onto the wing-nut as the lugs on the wing-nut fouls the grating tab. I didn't have a 1/4" NPT nut on hand. The thermometer sits about half an inch below the tab the grating sits on. A 10 minute job.

screenshot_02.jpg

Back