Does everyone always wrap butts

Joe Stout

TVWBB Member
I'm doing my second butt ever and all my reading has indicated foiling at 165 deg. I wrapped my the first one I did and it came out good but since I have found that I like my ribs cooked without foil I'd like to know if everyone always foil butts? Thanks for any advice, I have about 40 deg before I have to make a decision.

Thanks for the replies. I started out foiling ribs but found I liked the texture better without and they have never come out what I considered dry. I was uncertain about the butts because they cook at least twice as long as the ribs. So I'll be going no foil until the rest. Thanks again.

I only foil butts for comps (we cook them hot), never at home. At home I usually have time to cook at a lower temp, usually around 275. As well I'm not concerned how much smoke gets on a shoulder given how thick they are!

I prefer ribs when they are foiled, gives a little less smoke and a chance to add some more flavors to a thin cut of meat, although if I'm lazy I just let them go!

Clark

I've only foiled butts when done and holding them before pulling. Tried foiled ribs once and didn't like them. Best thing to do is give it a try different ways and see what you like! There's never only one way to Q!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

So.. how did it turn out Joe?
Which way did you prefer?
Curious minds want to know..
icon_smile.gif

Tim

Went with no foil. Took about 13 hours with an average temp around 265. Finished to late to eat so I wrapped and cooled whole. I'll slowly reheat and pull for some sandwiches tonight. I made some Roxy's Mustard Sauce and a version of Piedmont. Both are sitting and melding right now. Man I love smoking, here's a pick:

Ready to Wrap

Man that looks good!
I'm one that thinks BBQ tastes just as good or better the next day.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Nice job.

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I never foil until the rest. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Likewise. Butt has plenty of intramuscular fat -- no sense in foiling unless you're running out of time and need to speed things up, imo.

I foiled for the first time yesterday. I was running out of time and my cooker temp was dropping. So I foiled for the last hour and a half. The bark was soft, not a big deal for pulled pork sandwiches.

photo%252825%2529.JPG

Like others said, I only foil when resting the butts in a cooler. Ribs, I have done both foiling and not foiling, and the only difference is the foiled ribs seem to get done faster.

Back