Does Brine Change the Texture of Turkey?

Roger R.

TVWBB Fan
I've never smoked a turkey, but want to do one this
Thanksgiving. I read somewhere that although brine
might make the meat moist and flavorful - it also changes
the texture.

I know a lot of folks here brine, so please chime in and tell me
the pros & cons. If it changes the texture, does it make it
mushy or tough, etc, etc.

Thanks

The only weird thing about brining is if you use a vertical stand. I do and my brined birds look long in the tooth on the stand. But there's no comparison, brining is the way to go. I suggest cooking your bird at no less than 375, I just cooked one at 350 and it was great but it would have been crazy good if I cooked it at 375 or 400

ChuckO, I've never had my 18.5" up over 250°. Is it possible to get it to 375° - 400°?
If yes, how?

Full load of charcoal full chimmany of lit charcoal no water in the defuser leave the door off after lighting and assembly until she's good and hot, run her with all the vents wide open

I never use water, but my water bowl is full of sand - with a terracotta tray on top of the sand.
Would that be ok?

I haven't noticed a texture change when I brine a turkey. I simply may not be sensitive to it. Unless I fry, I smoke roast turkeys @ 350*F with an empty pan in place.

I use a full basket of lump and a full chimney of completely engaged lit lump. ...and here's a trick to help get temps up:
003_zpsc4f5949a.jpg

Here's a cpl breasts I did a while back:

image_zps4309e100.jpg

...and here's a bird I did:

IMG_1129.jpg

Last edited:
I've dry brined chickens with great results, and intend to dry brine a 20 lb. turkey next week.
I've read so many positive reviews about dry brining that I can't see going through the hassle of using wet a brine.

The only time you should have a texture change is from over brining (leaving in the brine for to long) 24 Hrs is pleanty for a Turkey for smaller birds no more than 12 hrs.

The only time you should have a texture change is from over brining (leaving in the brine for to long) 24 Hrs is pleanty for a Turkey for smaller birds no more than 12 hrs.

I have to admit, I've done 3 large (18-23lbs) birds in my 18.5" and everyone I've brined for 36 hours with no change in texture whatsoever! Just my 2 cents.....

I've dry brined chickens with great results, and intend to dry brine a 20 lb. turkey next week.
I've read so many positive reviews about dry brining that I can't see going through the hassle of using wet a brine.

Bob - Is dry brine like a dry rub, only with some oil added? Got an article or a recipe you can post so I can see what you mean?

"Does Brine Change the Texture of Turkey? " Yes.
With a short (salt) brine, the texture may not be as noticeable compared to a long brine. The physics are the salt denatures the protein strands and results in less moisture loss. Salt content and time in brine will determine the effect.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/11/the-food-lab-turkey-brining-basics.html
That was in 2009, in 2012 Kenji seems to prefer a simple dry salt brine.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/11/the-food-lab-the-truth-about-brining-turkey-thanksgiving.html

Bob - Is dry brine like a dry rub, only with some oil added? Got an article or a recipe you can post so I can see what you mean?
Roger,
For chickens I just put on a heavy coat of Kosher salt, then store in the fridge for a day, uncovered.
Before cooking I rinse, dry, and add Mrs Dash since it's salt free.
Here is a Weber recipe, ingredients can be changed if you like, and it should work well on a turkey by increasing the amount of dry brine.
http://www.weber.com/recipes/poultry/brined-rotisserie-chicken-with-cuban-flavors

I've never smoked a turkey, but want to do one this Thanksgiving. I read somewhere that although brine might make the meat moist and flavorful - it also changes the texture
This is what a brined turkey looks like after coming out of the brine. Kinda droopy

1C884FC2-5037-4F3C-8A98-6DE0AD647841_zpsxnqzasaz.jpg

Don't let that bother you, because when it comes off the BBQ/WSM it wonderful. Once you go brined, you'll never go back

D508CA63-6191-4A6A-A622-5CB8A343E738_zpspqcw3top.jpg

That was my first brined / smoked Turkey. It was great, but since then I done several, and they get better and better each time

Back