does anyone have favorite technique or recipe for wild sockeye salmon?

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
Costco has some nice wild Alaskan sockeye salmon for $11.99/lb looking for tecnique and or recipe to prepare. I don't want to dry it out and lately even when cooing indirect I have had better results in the oven.

Thanks for the insights and thoughts

We grill salmon fillets (frozen, thawed) several times a month.

The family prefers a simple grilling: a light rubbing of canola oil, then seasoned with a light dusting of McCormicks Cajun Seasoning.

Meat side down first on a hot grill for 3 minutes to sear and mark, then skin side down to finish in another 2 - still has a blush of pink on the inside for tenderness. (Time adjusted for fillet thickness)
Salmon-8-8-20.jpg

Tom, if you don't find anything you like in the recipes I bumped up for you, there are still more on the seafood site.

Take it for what it is worth from someone that has caught and eaten every type of salmon out there. Sockeye is the best there is. A very, and I cannot stress enough, very light seasoning of sea salt and white pepper, with a squeeze of fresh lemon at the end of the cook. Good eating.

Costco has some nice wild Alaskan sockeye salmon for $11.99/lb looking for tecnique and or recipe to prepare. I don't want to dry it out and lately even when cooing indirect I have had better results in the oven.

Thanks for the insights and thoughts
I live in Sonoma CA and Salmon fishing is a few miles a way. Over the 50 plus years of Salmon fishing and eating I learned that less rub/marinade/toppings is better. I like the taste of Salmon and don’t want to mask the flavor.

Steaks, individual size
SGG
Smoke grill with Alder, DO NOT overcook. I cook till the center is just opaque
Brush with melted bur had 1 or 2 tablespoons of REAL maple syrup
serve

I keep my smoked salmon simple too.

BTW the smallest was 3.5 lbs and the largest was 26 lbs.

MY $.02 WORTH ONLY!

1626471865763.jpeg

Last edited:
Here's my go to since my wife is non fish:

INGREDIENTS
Salmon fillets
1/3 C. olive oil
1/3 C. soy sauce - low salt
1/3 C. Real maple syrup
1/4 Tsp. cayenne pepper or to taste

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Rinse salmon and pat dry with paper towel.
2. Mix all ingredients together and pour evenly over salmon in an airtight container. Reserve some for basting and set aside.
3. Place in refrigerator and allow to marinate for 1 hour, or longer if desired.
4. Pre-heat grill to 275°F. Soak cedar planks in water while fish marinates Place planks on the grill to warm for 5-10 minutes.
5. Place salmon, skin down, on cedar planks and smoke until the internal temperature of the fish reaches 145°F, basting with reserved marinade every 30 minutes.
Notes: intakes set 1/3 and exhaust at approx 1/2. Set up for indirect, two zone heat. Time to finish 65 to 75 min

Last edited:
I will try some of these. I have had great success with cooking farm raised Salmon in the past, but the Wild Caught ones are a completely different story as they have so much less fat. It is like cooking hamburgers that are 90/10. Much different than 75/25.

One thing about Sockeye is compared to others like King, Atlantic and some others, it's VERY lean in comparison. It will go from perfect to cat food in less time than you can even think "oh $h1t". Other than that all I can add is I don't like cedar planked anything. IMO anything cooked on a cedar plank comes off tasting like my mom's old furniture. YMMV
But take it off before you think it's done. Don't take it over 120 deg

Take it for what it is worth from someone that has caught and eaten every type of salmon out there. Sockeye is the best there is. A very, and I cannot stress enough, very light seasoning of sea salt and white pepper, with a squeeze of fresh lemon at the end of the cook. Good eating.
I agree - less is more.

I'm also a salmon fan, unfortunately wifey doesn't like it. I need to perfect the art of the mixed grill so I can get my salmon fix. For seafood, Wifey mostly likes halibut, sea bass, or tuna. I like those but prefer salmon.

Looks like for salmon, you don't want a really hot direct fire, should we be aiming for a medium or medium low type direct fire?

I grill salmon a couple /few times a month. I use a method similar to Erik’s. I also cedar plank from time to time. Regardless of the method you choose, once you put it on the grill do NOT walk away from it.

Back