Do you use a insulated cover on your pellet grill to retain heat in winter?

Is it worth it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not an Issue with my camp chef, if it's below 45 degrees you won't see my sorry butt outside cooking on any grill. At that temperature or below I will be playing with one of these Air Fryer, Instant Pot, Slow cooker.
Just a bit more fuel with the Traeger. It's an older model so made of some decent metal. The new PID controller cut down on the pellet consumption too, so that's a non-issue now.
Still grilling year around here but doing things that don't require a bunch of babysitting during the colder months and using a digital remote too. The old bones don't do well in the cold anymore.

Cover arrived yesterday. Going to wait until this weekend to try it out. I hope the opening for the vents fit better than shown in the photo. Might need modification if not.

It was pretty cool outside last time I was cooking with either of the pellet grills. Both have heavy gauge double wall. The Z just seems to take an extra few minutes to "stabilize" but once "locked in" rolls along nice and steady. Did not really notice much if any difference on the Member's Mark. Which maybe can be attributed to smaller oven size relationship to fire pot size? IDK. But, with both of them (even in summer) I can put my hand on the tops/lids while running and not burn my hand. They're warm sure, and not like you would want to park your hand on there. But you can lay it on and not get "burned". Though in all fairness I have not tried that trick if they're running "flat out". I.E. last time I used Member's Mark I had it cranked to 500 deg to finish off a steak. And did not want to stick my hand on it then. But, if I remember, the next time I am fisishing a steak on either one at high temps (425+) I will use my IR thermometer to check the surface temps and note weather conditions.
I will note that in full on summer with sun hitting them though I ain't touching them even if they're turned off :D. That black really absorbs heat

Wife: Is my iron on?

Me: Touches it... ouch, yes!
I learned that lesson as a little kid. Picked up mom's iron and laid the palm of my hand right on it to test. My had was bright red and stung for at least a week. Mom, asked if I learned anthing. IIRC I was only 4 or 5. But yeah I learned :D

I learned that lesson as a little kid. Picked up mom's iron and laid the palm of my hand right on it to test. My had was bright red and stung for at least a week. Mom, asked if I learned anthing. IIRC I was only 4 or 5. But yeah I learned :D
A little boy visits the local Blacksmith’s shop and can’t stop being a pest-touching everything and asking questions after questions. The Blacksmith takes a horseshoe out of the forge and begins to fit it on the anvil. He leaves the red hot horseshoe on the anvil and moves to get a different hammer. The little boy immediately tries to pick-up the horseshoe, burns his hand and throws the horseshoe on the ground. The Blacksmith asks the little boy if he burned himself. “No” replied the little boy, “it just doesn’t take me long to look at a horseshoe.”

The cover is better than what I expected. It's very well constructed. Fits perfectly and only takes a few minutes to put on or take off. The magnets sewn inside stick very well. According to the warning label attached, it should be used when temperatures are below 35 degrees. The opening in back for the exhausts looks like it should not be a problem. Time will tell, but the cover is waterproof and should hold up if cleaning is needed.

It won't be long before temps start dipping into the 30's, the test will be seeing if it reduces pellet consumption during long cooks at night in the middle of winter.

The cover has a rubbery feel to it. Rain, sleet or snow should not be a problem for it.

Paid $76.76 for the cover. Is it worth it? Not sure yet, but it looks promising so far.IMG_2944.JPGIMG_2952.JPGIMG_2954.JPGIMG_2955.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2948.JPG
    IMG_2948.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 9
Well, while not a truly "scientific" test it is VERY practical and does show very nice results indeed and with good application for anyone with a single wall cooker and not blessed with 365 day summer.
Too bad we could not see a test of like sized cookers with similar design but one full double wall one single wall in a side by side

Does that cover have a cooking temp limit? Can it withstand 600? I’ve seen some that state to only use for low and slow smoking.

From the manufacturer,

The grill thermal insulated blanket made of PU coated fiberglass fabric and insulation cotton. The glass fiber material on the surface can withstand the temperature of 1022.000℉ and the inner filling cotton can withstand the temperature of 1,652.000℉

I bought an 8'x10' welding blanket from Harbor freight 3 years ago and just folded it to the appropriate size to cover the top of my PitBoss 1100 pellet smoker. Works fine to 0 degrees. Just don't let the edge get trapped under the lid when checking or basting meat! ask me why!!!

Very well done video. Brought up some things I had not thought about. Even most double wall pellet grills are still very thin metal. I’m sure even a double wall grill would benefit from a blanket in cold weather.
I would love to see if that would be the case. Though I think wind would be the worst enemy at colder temps (under say 50 deg). The nice thing about double wall is the inner chamber can get warm/hot, and it warms the surrounding air so not nearly as much of the cold can get to the inside. Though, I have noticed a bit of an issue when attempting a cook in low temps with high winds coming against the rear exhaust vents on both grills. Though the nice thing about the Member's Mark is I can pull it into shelter. Big Z not so much. Even just changing it's orientation is a little difficult doe to the power cord issue, but even then I can still reorient it with the vent facing more toward the house.
Just that we get such weird wind directions here. Swirls all over. Just when I think I have it nailed down for direction it changes

I would love to see if that would be the case. Though I think wind would be the worst enemy at colder temps (under say 50 deg). The nice thing about double wall is the inner chamber can get warm/hot, and it warms the surrounding air so not nearly as much of the cold can get to the inside. Though, I have noticed a bit of an issue when attempting a cook in low temps with high winds coming against the rear exhaust vents on both grills. Though the nice thing about the Member's Mark is I can pull it into shelter. Big Z not so much. Even just changing it's orientation is a little difficult doe to the power cord issue, but even then I can still reorient it with the vent facing more toward the house.
Just that we get such weird wind directions here. Swirls all over. Just when I think I have it nailed down for direction it changes
I think in most cases the blanket would also help with keeping the cold wind out of the grill. But adding a felt gasket would be another great addition year around.

Both of my grills are fully gasketed fromt he factory. I think in the spring next year I am going to pull it all off and replace it. As with use it seems to get a little "hard".

Back