Do you put the bird in a pan to smoke?

Scott Jeff

Last year was the first time I'd smoked a turkey....came out great. I just put it on the top grate of my WSM 18.5 and then put a pan under it on the second grate. This year the wife bought a 21lb turkey which looks like it will still fit on the the top grate but wondering if I should put it in a pan this year or do just like I did last year.

You will definitely want to catch the drippings even if you don't harvest them for gravy. Turkey's drip a lot (by my estimate 10% of the weight)

If you read Meathead's article on AmazinRibs he talks about how to use and not use pans when cooking turkey. When i do only one turkey i put a drip pan on the bottom grate.

well , I have done a few turkeys or turkey breasts in the wsm. ive tried drip pans under and i've used a tin foil pan with the bird sitting in it .
I think they both come out fine (albeit a little different from each other). either method works.

I smoked two breasts last week, both on the top rack, with a foil drip pan on the 2nd rack. Turned out excellent.

I'm doin two breasts. They will go on a V rack with a disposable pan under it on the top rack of the WSM. The necks, giblets and some Red's Apple Ale will also be in the pan for basting periodically once the breasts start to drip.

Back