do you notice excessive charcoal dust from A.T.C. blowers?

When I wrap or pan and cover a product i find there is what i think is excessive charcoal dust on the foil. naturally it has to be getting on the meat before it is covered. comments and opinions please.

While I'm not a fan (no pun intended) of ATCs . That probably just smoke. The better ones shut off when you open the lid and that's when that's most likely to happen.

While I'm not a fan (no pun intended) of ATCs . That probably just smoke. The better ones shut off when you open the lid and that's when that's most likely to happen.

Any particular reason why you're not a fan? I mean, I can't think of any possible con to the use of an ATC. It's not even like a "foil vs no foil" topic, you can cook precisely the same with/without an ATC and the results will be identical. I'm genuinely curious about why you dislike them.

I used a Guru DigiQ on my WSM for 3 years before removing it and I never noticed it blowing dust. It comes with a deflector that aims the air down below the coals plus it is not high pressure.

Any particular reason why you're not a fan? I mean, I can't think of any possible con to the use of an ATC. It's not even like a "foil vs no foil" topic, you can cook precisely the same with/without an ATC and the results will be identical. I'm genuinely curious about why you dislike them.

It's for curmudgeonly old man reasons even though I'm only 41. I think it's really important to learn your pit. If you've mastered it fine. I have no problem with you using one. They just aren't for me. I don't have any delusions that not using an ATC produces a superior product. It just takes the fun out of the cook for me.

FWIW, I have an engineering degree in electronics. I think the heater meter is super cool. I just don't wanna use it.

Ive been using ATC a lot in the last 2 years with
Charcoal
Weber briquettes old tipe
Kokoko (coconut) briquettes (with no glue additive, so easely pulverized)
and no (excessive) dust in the smoker. Definitevely not.
But You must fix the air flow exit not oriented towards the bottom of WSM but towards left/bottom, right/bottom in order to cause an air whirl

This is the wrong way

https://flic.kr/p/psodAz

I agree with Dustin about not using ATCs I like going back to the caveman in me when smoking meat. Plenty of tech toys to play with other parts of my life. Man I wish it was 1972 again with one addition. The WSM.

Last edited:
It's for curmudgeonly old man reasons even though I'm only 41. I think it's really important to learn your pit. If you've mastered it fine. I have no problem with you using one. They just aren't for me. I don't have any delusions that not using an ATC produces a superior product. It just takes the fun out of the cook for me.

FWIW, I have an engineering degree in electronics. I think the heater meter is super cool. I just don't wanna use it.

I'm in your field, robotics, EE, mechatronics. I get it, everything you said. Was just curious (and worried) that there was something big I was missing from a safety/quality standpoint. I'm a relative rookie in terms of cooking, I used to say things like "hey, come on over! I'm barbecuing some burgers!" less than a year ago. I'm learning.

When I wrap or pan and cover a product i find there is what i think is excessive charcoal dust on the foil. naturally it has to be getting on the meat before it is covered. comments and opinions please.

Randy... What ATC are you using ?
Using a Stoker here and have not noticed any charcoal dust on any of the foiled meats.

Bob

I wanna be a master of the meat, not a master of vent dampers. In the end, my focus is on the quality of the food, and the quality of sleep I can get. My digiQ's help me in that direction.

Randy... What ATC are you using ?
Using a Stoker here and have not noticed any charcoal dust on any of the foiled meats.

Bob
Hi Bob, I'm using the Cyber Q wi fi. I'm real happy with it , been using it for a few years now i have WSM 22 and i love that also. There is a fine gray dust on top of the foil, I've only noticed it when i foiled a pan and saw it. I just assumed it was from the blower. Thank you all for responding.

Only a couple of ways an atc will cause ash to fly. The air stream has too great a velocity. The air stream is being directed at the ashes rather than being dispersed or directed away from them.

Wonder if the damper position is too far open allowing short bursts of too much air.

Back