Do You Cover the WSM? Should you?

RichPB (richlife)

TVWBB Wizard
A search didn't find this question recently, so here it is. In another Weber forum, there has been a lot of debate on whether the grills should be covered. I've come down on the "do not cover" side, because with the high humidity of NC, I'm concerned with condensation collecting under the cover and the grill which could potentially cause severe rust problems. (That actually happened with my last non-Weber ss grill which I covered. The exterior was fine after 6 years, but the internals totally rusted out.) My grill (and WSM) are partially covered overhead (but not from blown-in rain), but I simply wipe it clean after any rain and clean it with WD40 as a rust inhibitor.

This question, however, relates to my WSM. The tight cover is a PITA and I really wonder if it has any value as protection assuming I treat it the same as I do my grill. I keep vent closed when not in use (no need to provide hornet habitat), but obviously it's not totally airtight. My feeling is that the only reason for using any cover on it would be during the month or so of pollen season (just to avoid THAT irritant.)

So do you cover your WSM? Do you think it should be covered? Does anyone have any actual experience with a damaged WSM that you think was a result of covering or not covering?

Thanks all, Rich

I don't, and it's for the same reason you mention. Here in Houston the humidity is such that if it was covered it would get eaten up by rust.

Rich,as you said,the WSM is not airtight. It's not water tight either. The cover will keep some water out,but not all. After several posts by other members,I've started putting a large garbage bag over the WSM before the Weber cover. Not covering will cause water to gather in the bottom. Some people flip the middle section to prevent this. I like the look of the cover. i know it's a PIA to put it on,but that's me. HTH

I cover mine, with the stock WSM cover over a large garbage bag. The only drawback is that the Weber cover is tight, and very difficult to put on and take off if you have added handles to the middle section of the WSM, as I have. My original cover is about to fall apart, so I bought a new one. I plan to open up one of the side seams and sew (or glue) in a long, triangular piece of black waterproof fabric to increase the diameter of the cover and make it easier to use. (When I do, I'll post photos of the process. I'm going to do a trial run with the old cover first.)

I have never had problems with condensation, but back when I was still using water in the pan, I found out how much mold you can grow in a WSM if you forget to empty the water pan for a few days.

i have been covering mine since i got it last summer and with the weather here in montreal, Canada, it is fine and cover actually protects it from the rain. I did not see any water get in through cover.

elmo

I have always put paper towels in my black iron pots to absorb moisture so I tried it with my new WSM. Seems to work pretty well.

Originally posted by Cecil:
I have always put paper towels in my black iron pots to absorb moisture so I tried it with my new WSM. Seems to work pretty well.

Thats a roll or paper towels in the WSM.

I wash the cooking grates after each use and store them in the garage, so they are not inside the cooker where they can rust. The water pan won't rust. The charcoal chamber and charcoal grate I leave in the cooker. I cover with the vinyl cover and then with a garbage bag to keep water out. The vinyl cover seems to get easier to put on as it ages...it kind of loses its flexibility and the elastic gets loose.

Regards,
Chris

Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
The vinyl cover seems to get easier to put on as it ages...it kind of loses its flexibility and the elastic gets loose.
Regards,
Chris
I know what you mean. I'm getting that way too.
Somehow, a couple of years ago, I ended up with an extra kettle cover. I use that on the WSM. Much easier to put on and just long enough. I leave the top vent and one or two bottom vents open after I clean out and cover the cooker for ventilation.

I wash the cooking grates after each use and store them in the garage, so they are not inside the cooker where they can rust. The water pan won't rust. The charcoal chamber and charcoal grate I leave in the cooker. I cover with the vinyl cover and then with a garbage bag to keep water out. The vinyl cover seems to get easier to put on as it ages...it kind of loses its flexibility and the elastic gets loose.

Regards,
Chris

Another trick that works great since I started storing in the open outdoors the last 2 years - turn the mid section upside down when not in use you won't get the water intrusion. Always leave the vents open for airflow. This eliminates the need for a second cover and allows normal air flow (cover is not sealed). I haven't had any problems with grates rusting when stored this way.

Don't leave ash in the pan when not in use. moisture reacting with the ash accelerates oxidation.

I've always stored outdoors (screened in porch) but started storing out on the patio all year. Since storing with the mid section upside down I don't get any standing water.

I cover with the vinyl cover and then with a garbage bag to keep water out.

It looks a little classier to put the garbage bag on first, then the vinyl cover, imho.
icon_biggrin.gif

(Unless you have garbage bags with the Weber logo, in which case I'd like to order a few.)

Originally posted by Phil Perrin:
Rich,as you said,the WSM is not airtight. It's not water tight either. The cover will keep some water out,but not all. After several posts by other members,I've started putting a large garbage bag over the WSM before the Weber cover. Not covering will cause water to gather in the bottom. Some people flip the middle section to prevent this. I like the look of the cover. i know it's a PIA to put it on,but that's me. HTH
I was covering mine with the garbage bag, then the Weber cover, but the bag is longer and it looks like a short coat over a long shirt. Now I just use the bag.

I bought a Weber cover for my W kettle when I found a great sale. My WSM came with a cover so I use it too. Oh I always turn the cover with the logo facing out. I'm hoping that a Weber rep will spot it and pay me advertising royalties. Ha

Thanks for all the response to my question. I've decided that since the whole thing basically has to be taken apart before every use, I'll use the flipped mid-section technique. The humidity is a big issue (almost year round) and I don't like PIA so I'll just leave the cover off. I'll also close the vents -- living in an old forest, it's amazing the critters (especially stinging ones) that want to make any small hole a home. Would you believe that includes birds?! I've seen all these things create a real hazard/mess in just a day or two! I spend a good part of every Spring trying to keep the nests from getting started...

And thanks especially for the comment about ash and moisture, Ray! I needed that reminder.
icon_redface.gif
Rich

You mean your WSM doesn't have a special place inside the garage next to your Performer and your Gasser and all your BBQ'n stuff? That way you don't have to worry about it getting rained on. Oh I forgot to mention that my WSM helped to finally displace my wife's car? So now I have an official Q'n spot.

Originally posted by Frank Eriksen:
Just got my 1st WSM, with cover. Why does the cover leak??? It shouldn't!

Most sewn together items leak at the seams -- especially with heavy material like tents, packs, grill covers -- I've even seen parkas leak. Seam sealer can help, but it's a pain and temporary (and unsightly). As said, the WSM design lends itself to turning the center section over so that all rain drips OUTSIDE rather than being directed inside. Why cover? Rich

As some of you know I just got a 22 WSM last week and my cover is simple to put on ! Actually its lose enough to slip over it easy . And looks good on it to boot . Maybe the covers there shipping with the new ones now are cut a little better duno ? But its sure not a issue with mine .But like everything else it a go in my garage in winter and only come out when in use . Iam in Michigan so I don't wana have hunt for it under snow .

Back