Do I sell out??? Community poll please......

Well as I mentioned I already priced out the 9mm ss grates that Weber sells for the 315........very expensive.....approx $200 which is a big problem. If I keep the 315 I will reach out on this board and see if anyone wants to trade cast iron for ss.....but I highly doubt anyone would. So I would just buy some RC's I guess and sell the cast irons.
I like the CI grates on my E330.

Well as I mentioned I already priced out the 9mm ss grates that Weber sells for the 315........very expensive.....approx $200 which is a big problem. If I keep the 315 I will reach out on this board and see if anyone wants to trade cast iron for ss.....but I highly doubt anyone would. So I would just buy some RC's I guess and sell the cast irons.
I recommend getting hold of Dave asap. I had spoken with him about the grates for the 1000 series and he has nothing. Worse, he can't get the stainless he needs to source them and he suspects that, when he can, the price will double. I don't know if he was referring to the raw material cost or the finished product. But if he has a grate for your grill, you might want to buy it while you can.

I wound up going with the BBQParts grate because his wasn't available (at all). I'd still have gone with the BBQParts option if the price difference was too outrageous. The ones I bought seem more than adequate. Particularly since we don't grill all that much. Maybe once a week.

Hey Dan....do u wanna buy another set of cast irons? I doubt it would make sense to ship these.... :( Maybe u live in Chantilly Va???
I jinxed myself saying my wife was in a good mood. She saw my note on the counter that said grill 11 30 and 430. Well the note was kinda cryptic because I know she reads all of my notes on the bathroom vanity. I am picking up a free 3 burner Spirit from someone that is moving and then going to look at a 2002 Lexus LS430 with on 77k miles on it at 2pm. She was more pissed about the old school Lexus..........I call her the dream squasher. She just doesnt get the whole hunt...buy....tinker...sell thing.

I'm fortunate that my wife would be happy for me if I picked up more grills. I'm new to this hobby but some years back I told her I bought an antique razor because I was trying to save money on those stupid multi-blade cartridges. A few months, a thousand bucks and a whole bunch of shave gear later, she bought me a $100 scuttle (used to heat shaving soap) for my birthday. Until my razoritis fizzled, each time I showed her a razor (just because I admired it), she encouraged me to buy it. But she's not at all materialistic for herself. The mall is the last place she'd want to be. She's not about things; she's about love. Most important, she's an amazing mom to our seven year old son. She's beautiful inside and out. Truly one of the best people I've ever known.

The other side of the coin are the two failed marriages in my past, the fact that I raised two children alone from they were 8 and 3, and all the failed relationships which didn't make it to the alter. Glad I held out this time for a woman with a heart of gold. There was one woman like that in my life many years ago, but I was too young and stupid then to know what I had. Fortunately, she showed me what was possible and so, after that, I couldn't settle for something less. Took a long time to find another special match and I consider myself very lucky. A lot of people never find a great partner once, let alone twice.

One other note.....in my market I can easily get $300 for my silver B so the new monster grill would only be a net $200 purchase for me.....
Jim, that's a tough call, but I think maybe on a subconscious level maybe you've already got it figured out what you are going to do. Time to move on and try something new is what I'm thinking.

If you can get $300 easy, why not try for $375 and see where it goes? She's a looker for sure!

50 grills later, and here you are already looking forward to #51, despite the injury that took you out of the game for awhile...I gotta think it's the thrill of the hunt and having something new to rehab and sell that's keeping your interest. Think of how flipping the Silver is going to smooth things over with the wife over the new grill purchase and impress her once again with your shrewd business acumen. My vote is, flip the Silver B and enjoy your new grill!

Last edited:
My silver b served us well for 20 years, and is now in the kids hands with all new guts again, but only has a couple years left in it. Tha new one can last just as long IMO as that silver b did. Plus Weber warranty says theyll be able to supply all parts for 10 years.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.....I have enjoyed the process and conversation. I havent come to a decision yet but leaning toward playing with a new toy. I will report back once I fire it up side by side to the ole silver.

Ed.....u pretty much have me figured out :)

I'm more interested in that Lexus LS430. Now THAT is something! There is no secret of my feelings about the new Genesis series. But a Lexus? Now THAT is something I could get behind. "The pursuit of perfection". I remember those old ads with the ball bearing rolling down every seam of the car perfectly, and the champagne glasses stacked on the engine spinning at 5k rpm. Now THAT is fine machinery!

Ha! Yes sir....going Lexus is the same as going RCplanebuyer......u just cant go back. When I was younger I started out as a Honda Acura man.....Im talking 1987 Acura Integra......I loved those cars....then moved into the sedans...Acura 3.2TL......but then something happened.....I bought my Mom a Toyota Avalon I think it was a 2004 but cant remember.....it was the smoothest most comfortable car to drive and even had that valor cloth interior. We eventually named it the " couch car " because back then we had a blue couch in our house that was just as comfortable. When my Mom passed I sold my Acura and drove my Moms Avalon which I loved ......I was getting a lot of heat from my golfing buddies who were all type A show off guys with fancy cars......I would show up to the golf course in my 2004 Avalon while everyone else was driving their show off cars. I simply wasnt man enough to shoulder the shame of my poor mans couch car. At this time my boss was a good friend of mine....he was wealthy and I was not....he was a heavy boozer and I was not.....The bottom line is that I got to drive him home in his fancy Lexus LS430 when he had been drinking too much. Well after driving that Lexus LS430 just once I knew I would own one some day but they were way out of my league. So about 5 years down the line the LS430's that were originally75k new had dipped into regular guy pricing if u bought one with around 100k miles on it. Thats when I took the leap of faith and bought a 2004 Lexus LS430 the exact same color and year of my bosses car that I had driven so many times before. They say it is possibly the best car ever made and there are several YouTube vids talking about just that. Well after about 4 years of owning my garage queen I was getting anxious.......long story short I sold my queen. I have a company car for work so I really dont even need a car.......so I played around with a couple of used cars tinkering away and then bought a 2016 Lexus ES350.......wow.....what an amazing freakin car but also 25k for a car that just sits in the garage until miss daisy has me drive her around on the weekend. So when the Covid screwed up the car market I decided to sell my 2016 back to the dealership for a 2K net profit. Now being a hunter as Ed figured out.....I was immediately searching for cars every day just for the hell of it........The other day I found a 2002 Lexus LS430 w 77k miles on it for $6600 ....it has a few cosmetic issues which dragged the price down but has me very interested in another old man cruiser. So after I go pick up this free 3 burner Spirit with propane tank :) which I will flip for $200.....which will buy me some 9mm ss grilling grates for my E315..............I will go check out this sexy Lexy at 2pm........I will let u know if I again lose control of the guy on my left shoulder and just buy it.

Thats my Lexus story......

Attachments

• 20180616_125035.jpg
    20180616_125035.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200117_151047.jpg
    20200117_151047.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 3
It's funny. My youngest daughter loves "old man" cars. When we went hunting for her first car. I figured a snappy little SUV, a Corolla or such. Nope she fell for a Lexus ES330. What a gorgeous ride. Sadly though I dropped the ball as her "look out" and was also taken by how well it ran and such I did not get it to a trusted independent garage. About 18 mos into she started hearing some clunking noises. I checked eh, rear sway bar links. No biggie. But, my friend at his shop found the real cause. Apparently the car had been kept in a heated garage most of it's life. (Bad ju ju if you live here in the arctic). So the rear frame where the control arms was rusted and beginning to lose strength. So together he an I were looking it over. Every body seam was rusting through as well. Not normal for Toyota products. So while it was still in "sound" shape we went back to the dealer for her to look for something else. And yep you guessed it yet another old mans car. This time a 2014 Avalon. However THIS time I did not drop the ball. It went to my trusted garage. They were totally amazed with it's condition (pristine) it was bought new and serviced at the dealer as well, and had total service history. Tech said if he had to nit pick it only thing he would point out is front brakes were a little thin and tires were in last 40% of tread. Went back to dealer. They put in new brakes, new tires, dropped the price and upped her trade. Yep that Avalon went home with her

I think you need to definitely try the new Genesis and decide for yourself. I had a Silver A for 18+ years and loved it. However, I have a new S-345 that I love more. The new grill is not made as solidly as the old, but seems solid enough. It probably won’t last as long for sure. However, I like the way it cooks better. It gets hotter, faster, works better for 2 zone cooking, etc. I don’t spin things on a gasser, but that would definitely be where the older grills beat the new with their east west burners.

I think you need to definitely try the new Genesis and decide for yourself. I had a Silver A for 18+ years and loved it. However, I have a new S-345 that I love more. The new grill is not made as solidly as the old, but seems solid enough. It probably won’t last as long for sure. However, I like the way it cooks better. It gets hotter, faster, works better for 2 zone cooking, etc. I don’t spin things on a gasser, but that would definitely be where the older grills beat the new with their east west burners.
I think that is a fair assessment. If you don't care about rotisserie and are willing to accept the less long-term build quality, then the positives of the Genesiss II are worthy of consideration, especially at that price point. Do your best to keep it clean and the rust monster at bay. Figure it is 5-year good grill and anything beyond that is a bonus.

I think that is a fair assessment. If you don't care about rotisserie and are willing to accept the less long-term build quality, then the positives of the Genesiss II are worthy of consideration, especially at that price point. Do your best to keep it clean and the rust monster at bay. Figure it is 5-year good grill and anything beyond that is a bonus.
Except it has a 10 year bumper to bumper warranty. So, I think both Weber and customers are expecting them to be at least 10-15 year grills.

In the last 58 years I have owned close to 300 vehicles cars, trucks, boats, motorcycles, RVs, I like change, but now in our 70s we don't travel much, as a matter of fact our 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe in the last seven years has only had 16,000 miles put on it. It's also has sat in the garage for about three weeks now. Our 2001 4 runner with 210,000 miles on it is our daily driver.
So I've been out of the car buying for quite a few years.
But my daughter just bought a 2021 Lexus GX460 what a beautiful vehicle. A living room on wheels. But at $48K it makes no senses for us to get something like that.
Just like my two old gassers with E/W burners I'm just comfy with that, just like our 4 runner. No desire for a new 5 year grill or another car.

Back