Disaster averted and egg on my face

I bought about a dozen of those wood paddle scrapers on clearance at Walmart for less than $5 each. I gave one out with each of my rehab grills. I am not sure if anyone cared or used them however....I kind of wish I had kept one of them....maybe I did????

If you read the directions on the wooden paddle scrapers they aren't meant for effective use right out of the box. You have to wear grooves in the edge matching your grill grates. They look like they would be really effective once the grooves are worn/burned in.

I have one I bought for a couple of bucks at the end of the season. Even though I'm perfectly content with the chargon I plan to give the paddle a shot this year just for fun.

I don't have the time or inclination to "burn" anything in. Hell, I'm old and don't even bother buying green bananas :D Same for the Chargon. You can make a song out of it. "One Bar At a Time"

I don't have the time or inclination to "burn" anything in. Hell, I'm old and don't even bother buying green bananas :D Same for the Chargon. You can make a song out of it. "One Bar At a Time"

I do understand that. I'm kind of that way myself most of the time. It's why my wood paddle scraper isn't already burned in. 😊

All I can say is that it is another example of what makes the world go around. I might get fatigued with a Chargon on a super grill like your Wolf, Larry. For my grills stainless rods, though, I think it is a safe and thorough solution. I have been less patient with the wood scraper on cast iron. I am rethinking since I have an unused one that I can try to get burned in on my Skyline Weber cast iron grates. I also don't mind the scraper that has the tight metal coils. Getting more used to it. Won't be buying any more brushes, though. Understand that good ones used properly are extremely unlikely to cause a problem, but with other options that I personally am OK with, why take even a very tiny chance?

I find I can clean up my Genny 1000 with RCP grates in under two minutes with a chargon and they are clean when done. Maybe not down to shiny stainless, but clean. It even gets the sides and almost all the way under the bars.

Try an old towel soaked in water on a really hot grate. The steam just blasts the crud off. I use the brush first only to knock off the big crud and the towel after takes the grates pretty much down to shiny steel

Try an old towel soaked in water on a really hot grate. The steam just blasts the crud off. I use the brush first only to knock off the big crud and the towel after takes the grates pretty much down to shiny steel

I need to try that too. Thanks for the hint.

Going to try that Larry, get the grates clean and a sauna all at the same time. :cool:

Yah, I use a good quality brush first then a wet rag on the grates when they're hot. So far no problems but I may eventually get a chargon.

Yeah I am going to try the Kona or Qually as for the foil suggestion, gave that up LONG ago after having flakes of foil (which btw are impossible to see) stuck tot he grate and transfer to the food. IMO nearly as disastrous as bristles plus they don't come off when you wipe the grates down with an oil or water soaked cloth. They dislodge into the food when you use a metal spatula to flip your burger or what have you.

I have two of the Unicooks and a narrower version of the same type brush. They work fine on a cool grill but it takes some adjus to come back and clean after the grill cools or put it off until bef you start cooking. Minor issue.

Back