Different Pizza Peel.

You can. But the screens are used under a raw dough and designed to slow the crusts cooking so the pie cooks more evenly. Once the pie is set, you deck the pie, remove it off the screen, and crisp up the bottom on your stone or steel.

Many NY pizzareias use screens as a NY pie takes longer to properly cook. If the deck, stone, is too hot, the bottom will cook before the top does and your pie will taste raw.

The screen acts as an insulator and promotes even cooking.
Depending on heat levels, the screen looks like a good option and I actually have one which is nice!

I am having good results with the no name one I have other than I don’t like that it has a lip that goes all the way around it.
It’s a 1/4 inch thick and about 12 or so inches in diameter and it was a freebee find when I bought this place.
3/8“ would be nicer I have to admit though I am having no issues with a 1/4”.
If my 1/4” one didn’t have that stupid lip thing I wouldn’t be replacing it.
Now that Chuck showed that super nice one I’m having second thoughts about the Lodge one I put on my Christmas list.
I use a couple of chimneys of hot coals in a circle touching the edge of my kettle with an elevated pizza metal plate just waiting for the day of having a nice pizza oven.

You can add a baking steel onto your grates. I have used mine on the WSK and my previous Summit NG. Had it made at a local steel shop. Like $65 for a 3/8th 14.5 x 16 steel plate with rounded edges. And I can use it in my home oven as well.

It seems like you've made pizzas on both a charcoal grill, and gas. Do you have a preference?

BTW to others, I didn't have an issue with how my 3/8" 24 lb. Dough Joe actually performed. It's just too heavy to carry around through the kitchen to outside. Or to back inside to the sink for washing. Hence why I wanted a lighter option.

Seems like the Emile Henry can provide the same high temperatures, large surface area, and is actually the lightest. Seems like it could be a winner all around.

It seems like you've made pizzas on both a charcoal grill, and gas. Do you have a preference?

BTW to others, I didn't have an issue with how my 3/8" 24 lb. Dough Joe actually performed. It's just too heavy to carry around through the kitchen to outside. Or to back inside to the sink for washing. Hence why I wanted a lighter option.

Seems like the Emile Henry can provide the same high temperatures, large surface area, and is actually the lightest. Seems like it could be a winner all around.
I prefer the charcoal as the nose of the smoke gets absorbed a bit by the dough. I can also build a fire that has wood chunks in it for more smoke flavor to versus just using KPro briqs.

To clean your steel, I just recco you use a washcloth when done cooking and use tongs to clean across the steel. It’ll dry quickly when hot and then add some vegetable oil and wipe that across the steel. The steel will get seasoned this way and make better pizzas. No need to sink wash a steel. If you drop the steel you’ll do a toe-etcomy and that would really suck.

I think you’re overthinking all this. Your tools sound just fine. I’d focus on techniques and methods before buying more “stuff” to cook with. YMMV. These are just my opinions.

Gonna have to look into this myself. When we do pizza it's either directly on the grates of the Wolf (which is why I asked Dave Santana to build heavy thick bar grates and tighter spacing) or in large cast iron pans. The screen may open up a new world to us
Pizza pans... hmmmm yum.

These days I mostly do my pies on the Performer. I've had my Emile Henry stone over 900°, fwiw.

20230802_191438.jpg

I’m wondering about the coal location on my performer when I do pizza.
I’m just not satisfied with the method I’ve been using.

I copied an idea with placing the coals in a ring around my elevated pizza that sits on a 1/4 lipped pan.
I just don’t think a bunch of hot coals on the sides of the kettle is the way.
It works well enough but I’m thinking I could do better and be more efficient using my a vortex (maybe inverted?) directly under my pie and less coal.

Maybe inverting my old lipped metal plate, adding my new flat plate on top of that to get to 1/2” and stoking the snot out of the coals to get more plate and indirect heat?
I dunno.

Hi All,

Great timing for this topic, I too am looking to add pizza on the grill to menu this winter.

I was looking at the Weber or Broil King stones.

One interesting thing I came across was this Dome that helps with the all round radiation to crisp the toppings, melt cheese etc. Anyone using something like this?

I'll be using the 22" Weber Kettle and 18.5 " WSM mostly.

Hi All,

Great timing for this topic, I too am looking to add pizza on the grill to menu this winter.

I was looking at the Weber or Broil King stones.

One interesting thing I came across was this Dome that helps with the all round radiation to crisp the toppings, melt cheese etc. Anyone using something like this?

Nice find with that dome! What are its dimensions?

I am currently looking at my setups, trying to decide what is the best / easiest. That dome on the WSM might be better than what I currently have.

It looks like an easier version of a Kettle Pizza. Since it has a top built in.

I have generally not been the biggest fan of Broil King products, but that might be one item that I'd still consider.

Can you describe the setup you use with your WSM, or if you have a pic from before, post that? Do you do anything to deflect heat from the top, back down to the top of the pizza?

Arun, super late to comment here, regarding the Super Peel. I have been using it for many years, there's a small learning curve involved in using it. But once you get it down it's a winner.

Pretty much, I have it in cherry not composit. Got it around 2008 or 9. Works great, the cloth can go right in the washer. I hand iron it to get it nice and flat so it slides nicely. Only advantage in using this one over a regular one is you can use less cornmeal or flour to prevent sticking when launching it to the stone.

Back