Different Pizza Peel.

Arun L.

TVWBB All-Star
So, when I started making pizza on the grill in 2016, I bought a 3/8" thick Dough Joe.

I've hated it since the beginning. 24 lbs. is too heavy.

Considering I'm still looking for something about 15", which of these do you think would be best?

1) 16"x14" baking steel, 13 lbs.

2) Lodge Cast Iron 15" Pizza Pan, 9.9 lbs.

3) 14"x14" pizza steel, 13 lbs.

4) 14" round steel, 12 lbs.

Also, thoughts on this peel? I already have a peel. Is it worth getting another peel, if this one is easier?

Or if the difference is minimal, I can keep using the peel I have.

EXO Non-Stick Super Peel Pro:

As long as you give the heavier stone (NOT peel) time to really heat, it will reduce the pizza cook time but, buy more and see which works better for you.
A “Peel” is for loading or removing onto a “Stone”. Just for clarification.

So, when I started making pizza on the grill in 2016, I bought a 3/8" thick Dough Joe.

Considering I'm still looking for something about 15", which of these do you think would be best?

Also, thoughts on this peel? I already have a peel. Is it worth getting another peel, if this one is easier?

Which grill are you making pizza on?

1/4" steel is too think IMO. 3/8" is perfect from my own experience. zero recovery time in between pies.

i use a wood peel for launch and a small turner for turning and removing from the steel. wood when flour dusted launches just fine.

i prefer a shorter length turner for stability and ease of use. YMMV. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NPQDVD8/?tag=tvwb-20

i also use screens if the steel gets too hot. once the pizza is near done, i'll deck the pie on the steel for final bottom browning. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CIEJZG/?tag=tvwb-20

the screens also allow for more pizza production if you're having a party. they're easier to use, prep pies and move them onto the steel to cook with ease. it all depends how many pies you're making and how fast you want pies to come up. and screens make it easier to manage heat so you don't burn your pizzas if the grill runs away from you.

I remember reading about those, when I was considering options in 2016.

Is the inside part of the diameter (within the rim) 14.5"?
Yes 14.5”
I was assuming you were looking for a stone and not a peel? My bad if you’re looking for a Peel

Yes 14.5”
I was assuming you were looking for a stone and not a peel? My bad if you’re looking for a Peel

Looking for a new stone first. My second question was whether getting that peel I linked to, would be a better one than the current metal peel I have.

i also use screens if the steel gets too hot. once the pizza is near done, i'll deck the pie on the steel for final bottom browning. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CIEJZG/?tag=tvwb-20

the screens also allow for more pizza production if you're having a party. they're easier to use, prep pies and move them onto the steel to cook with ease. it all depends how many pies you're making and how fast you want pies to come up. and screens make it easier to manage heat so you don't burn your pizzas if the grill runs away from you.
So you put the pizza screen on the steel at the beginning, then remove the screen near the end of the cooking process?

Having a separate peel for launcher, and one for turning, is another idea I could consider. Instead of using the same one for both, which is what I've been doing.

So you put the pizza screen on the steel at the beginning, then remove the screen near the end of the cooking process?

Having a separate peel for launcher, and one for turning, is another idea I could consider. Instead of using the same one for both, which is what I've been doing.
Yes

1700537804852.jpeg

1700537851717.jpeg

1700537876651.jpeg

1/4" steel is too think IMO. 3/8" is perfect from my own experience. zero recovery time in between pies.

i use a wood peel for launch and a small turner for turning and removing from the steel. wood when flour dusted launches just fine.

i prefer a shorter length turner for stability and ease of use. YMMV. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NPQDVD8/?tag=tvwb-20

Thanks everyone. I think I'll go with:

* Emile Henry Burgundy stone.
* 14" windscreen.
* Keep my current pizza peel.

Ok, I just re-read my thread title. I understand the confusion now that I caused others.

I should have said "Different pizza stones and peels", since I was considering both, with the main focus on stones / steels.

Sorry everyone, I didn't create an accurate thread title.

Aren't the screens supposed to be used on top of the grates? Allowing direct radiant heat to the crust?

Ok, I just re-read my thread title. I understand the confusion now that I caused others.

I should have said "Different pizza stones and peels", since I was considering both, with the main focus on stones / steels.

Sorry everyone, I didn't create an accurate thread title.
You'll love that Emile Henry, imho.

Aren't the screens supposed to be used on top of the grates? Allowing direct radiant heat to the crust?
You can. But the screens are used under a raw dough and designed to slow the crusts cooking so the pie cooks more evenly. Once the pie is set, you deck the pie, remove it off the screen, and crisp up the bottom on your stone or steel.

Many NY pizzareias use screens as a NY pie takes longer to properly cook. If the deck, stone, is too hot, the bottom will cook before the top does and your pie will taste raw.

The screen acts as an insulator and promotes even cooking.

You can. But the screens are used under a raw dough and designed to slow the crusts cooking so the pie cooks more evenly. Once the pie is set, you deck the pie, remove it off the screen, and crisp up the bottom on your stone or steel.

Many NY pizzareias use screens as a NY pie takes longer to properly cook. If the deck, stone, is too hot, the bottom will cook before the top does and your pie will taste raw.

The screen acts as an insulator and promotes even cooking.
Gonna have to look into this myself. When we do pizza it's either directly on the grates of the Wolf (which is why I asked Dave Santana to build heavy thick bar grates and tighter spacing) or in large cast iron pans. The screen may open up a new world to us

Gonna have to look into this myself. When we do pizza it's either directly on the grates of the Wolf (which is why I asked Dave Santana to build heavy thick bar grates and tighter spacing) or in large cast iron pans. The screen may open up a new world to us
You can add a baking steel onto your grates. I have used mine on the WSK and my previous Summit NG. Had it made at a local steel shop. Like $65 for a 3/8th 14.5 x 16 steel plate with rounded edges. And I can use it in my home oven as well.

Back