Desert Breakfast Rellenos on the Mojoe

Cam Stone

TVWBB Member
My long-time buddy, my dog and I recently took an overlanding/camping trip to Southern Utah. We spent a whole week exploring the far outback 4x4 trails in the Escalante Grand Staircase NM and Capitol Reef NP. The weather was perfect and the scenery, spectacular! During one long stretch of 80 miles of trail, we didn't see another soul in three days! Our camp meals tend to be a little over the top because I love to cook and there is no better place to do that than in a spectacular setting with no one else around.

One morning at our campsite, perched atop 500 foot cliffs of red Utah rock, I decided to make breakfast using a twist on a favorite camping dinner item: Desert Rellenos. Desert Rellenos in our parlance, are simply roasted pasilla peppers stuffed with cheese and "baked" until all melty. No batter or deep frying required. In this case, I decided to add sausage and eggs to the stuffing mix and voila!: Desert Breakfast Rellenos. YUM! They sure hit the spot.

Of course, we shot a video of the cook! Here it is:

Cam

I got dibs on this one!

Beautiful backdrop there....

12194748_10205205585161114_3883467879921502294_o.jpg

This is an amazing video. That's some great food against the backdrop of some beautiful wilderness.

Did you see any Transformers while here? :) (below)

Your cooks on your Mojoe are most impressive

Thanks Chuck! No, I didn't see any Transformers! I suspect they were plugged into the power grid when I was there! The Glen Canyon Dam was very close to where we rolled off the pavement onto the dirt and headed in a northeasterly dimension, er, direction!

Cam

Thanks Chuck! No, I didn't see any Transformers! I suspect they were plugged into the power grid when I was there! The Glen Canyon Dam was very close to where we rolled off the pavement onto the dirt and headed in a northeasterly dimension, er, direction!

Cam

You'd have to look carefully. They're robots in disguise after all.

Well.... you are living proof that there is more than one way to "skin a pepper".
Love the vid & let's have some more cheese!
I'm a fool for rellenos & you did a great job with them.

Well.... you are living proof that there is more than one way to "skin a pepper".
Love the vid & let's have some more cheese!
I'm a fool for rellenos & you did a great job with them.

Thanks Robert! You probably noticed that I didn't skin those peppers! I didn't even notice the skins as I was shoving it down my throat! I figured that the skins would help keep the peppers from splitting open during the stuffing process and it did help - I didn't have a blow-out!

Cam

Great cook and awesome food! We make these for breakfast every once in a while. I add tater tots and bacon into the filling, yumm!

Back