Decisions, Decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck Freeman

Hi gang, I'm new here and don't know anything about BBQing with the Weber Smoker. I have a Brinkman which I'm thinking about giving to my parents who just like to grill, and buy myself the Weber as I'd read a lot of great things about it.

My question is, before I plunk my money down just how DOES the Weber compare with the Brinkman as far as smoke BBQing is concerned?

Thanks!

hi chuck, Welcome I have owned the 2 brinkmans and a charbroil and there is no comparrison (I now own 3 WSM's) the temprature control is sooo much better on the WSM that it really is in a totally different league. The weber is more expensive but in the long run uses far less fuel and causes much less aggravation. The pphrase coined by someone on this site is "Buy the WSM and cry only once".

The customer service and support if you need any is 24x7 at weber and they are very helpful.

take some time on this site and you will find alot of friendly people and some great recipies with some of the fine points this smoker has to offer. If you do choose to buy the WSM please consider using the amazon link off of this site as it helps ofset expenses for the site. There have also been a couple of recent threads that were talking about an offer code that may save you $25.00 by using it.

Happy Smoking

Many here, including myself for a very short time, attempted to cook low & slow on various Brinkmann units. Their shortcomings included the inability to control airlow to the fire, and keeping the fire from snuffing itself in its own ash. Many Brinkmann owners overcame these obstacles-- to a point-- with modifications. Well, overcame is too strong a word-- maybe "coped with" is a better term. The WSM is a quality-built item, with controllable vents that, when closed completely, will actually extinguish the fire-- a testament to the product's virtual airtightness, important in controlling and maintaining consistent temperatures over cooks of several hours. Charcoal is held off the bottom of the cooker by a grating topped with a perforated charcoal ring, allowing both ample airflow ot the coals, and smothering ash top fall away.

Don't be put off by the price point-- it's worth every penny.

Chuck

They do not compare! Spent a saturday two weeks ago running both. The WSM has a greater copacity for both food and fuel. There are NO vents on teh Brinkman so there is nothing to adjust, but there is no control either. My pitt ran about 18 hrs. with out me needing to mess with it at all the Brinkman went about 9 hrs. and we had to add fuel twice. If the Brinkman had been mine- I would have given it to the nieghbor and got the Weber pitt.
Just my $.02 worth, hope it helps.

Arthur

Chuck

Hopefully your computer won't explode with all the replies I suspect you'll get.

There really is no way to compare the two, because the WSM is so superior, it's in a different class. If you enjoyed the Brinkman at all, you'll love the WSM. Temperature control over long cooks is probably its best feature, but then isn't that what low/slow BBQ is all about ?

You won't regret your decision, but your parents may get angry at you and you'll need to ge them one, also. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Paul

Hi Chuck, you've come to the right place for a heavily biased opionion of Smokey Mountain cooker /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

I don't have any direct experience with the Brinkman, but if you use the Find functionality on the bulletin board and search for 'ECB' (without the single quotes) you will find ample opinions and stories here about El Cheapo Brinkman.

Welcome Chuck. Luckily before I invested in any smoker, I came here and found out about the WSM. I spent about a half day reading testimonials on the WSM, and all the great info Chris has put together for this site.

It shouldn't take you that long to decide. Hop on board. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

You could go to the brinkman fan web page and compare the level of enthusiasm.

Oh, I almost forgot, there isn't a Brinkman fan web site.

One can make good BBQ on a brinkman smoker, but as with almost anything else, better quality tools make the job easier.

My brother has a friend with an ECB. When he does pork butts he is outside cheking temps every ten minuets for 12-16 hours!! Are you kidding me??!?!??!...I told him to run, not walk, and get a WSM! He did the next day and said he cannot even begin to say how happy he is with it!!

I suggest you do the same and be happy like him!!

Chuck,
You definitely will not be sorry! Trust me, I went through just about every el cheapo smoker there was. Because I thought $178 was way way too much to pay for a smoker that looks just like the ECB (el cheapo brinkmann). Well to my surprise they are worlds apart and the WSM is worth every penny of the cost!! Make the purchase, you will not be sorry! Good luck

A friend of mine got a Brinkman for free. I asked about a site to help him get started and got this for a source.

http://www.randyq.addr.com/ecb/ecbmods.html

I think it's a good source but to your question, you would not need to make any mod (except for a thermometer) to your wsm to be in better shape than the highly modified Brinkman.

Man oh man, that's MY Brinkman in that link Jerry N. I got scared and ran off after only 3 seconds.

Thanks guys for all your great advice, this Friday I go to Amazon at the stroke of midnight (I work Swing Shift) and place my order for the venerable WSM. Your input was greatly appreciated.

BTW Paul G. if my parents get mad at me I've got a first-aid kit for dealing with black eyes and missing teeth.

Welcome Chuck!

I have just purchased a WSM and love it. I knew nothing of smokers but when researching I haven't found a bad thing said about the WSM.

It's simple to use and turns out GREAT Q!

Hi Rath, same here, not a bad word anywhere about the WSM. If only politicians could be this unanimous on the issues... /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

The WSM is AWSOME!!! I have 3 Brinkmans.. soon to be flower pots! When I got back into cooking this year I wanted to try a WSM. NO QUESTION , the best small cooker around. I now have 3. I still use the big pits for pigs or shoulder cookings, but for the easy over night cooks of small amounts it has got to be a WSM. I know you will be happy , just as all of us are.

Rick

Chuck,

Like many others, I tried the Brinkman route many years ago. Hassle is the best way to describe it. I have two WSM's. They are not comparable. They are far different from Brinkman, even if they have a vague physical resemblance.

Like any tool, if the tool is more work than the work is, you will quickly tire of the hassles and give it up. The WSM is so easy.

If you don't have the budget right now, so be it. But, if you do, do you want a Cadillac or a push pedal car?

I shudder to think how many bought an ECB and just threw up their hands and said "Screw it! I can't BBQ!" I have had 3 ECB's. They were electric though so much easier to control heat than the charcoal version. Can you turn out good Q on a ECB, certainly. Is the WSM easier and tastes better using real coals? You're gall durn right!

After struggling many years with my ECB's I finally "bit the bullet" so to speak and bought a WSM. I love the thing. A couple months later I bought a second one. (Though I still haven't been home to assemble and play with it yet/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif )

I know, we sound like a bunch of lackey's working for the Weber corporation, but we're not. We are simply very satisfied customers with a passion for BBQ. I was not compensated by Weber in any way to make these statements. (although the WSM is a great cooker)

Just to add my two cents' worth: I had (still have, don't use) a Brinkmann Gourmet. After looking at the WSM, and reading this forum, I spent a lot of time modifying it with adjustable vents and a charcoal grate. I could then get stable temperatures for as long as 6 hours, then I'd have to take it apart, empty ashes, and add more charcoal. Finally, I bought a WSM. Saturday I cooked two butts for 15 hours, didn't have to adjust the vents but maybe 3 times, didn't have to remove ashes, didn't have to add charcoal (okay, I added a little but had at least that much left at the end of the cook). Buy the WSM, you'll thank yourself many times in the coming years.

After all that nonsense he was happy to get 5 hours of relatively stable temps...that's insane. All the time and money soent on Mods could easily make up for the difference in price between the two.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jerry N.:
A friend of mine got a Brinkman for free. I asked about a site to help him get started and got this for a source.

http://www.randyq.addr.com/ecb/ecbmods.html

I think it's a good source but to your question, you would not need to make any mod (except for a thermometer) to your wsm to be in better shape than the highly modified Brinkman. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good for you Chuck. Please report back on how your 1st cook goes.

A co-worker of mine has been talking about getting a smoker for over a year now. For two years we have talked about the q I'm able to produce and he has been excited to get started. I've led him to this site more than once, and have tried many times to get him to purchase a WSM. Last week he tells me he recently got a Char Broil smoker at one of the warehouse clubs. He hasn't had a good cook yet. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back